Fordmods Logo

have i installed my dizzy correctly? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: have i installed my dizzy correctly?
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF XT Falcon

VIC, Australia

hey guys, had to take the dizzy out when changing welsh plugs, just checking to see if i have it installed correctly, the engine is in TDC with the marks lining up, and the dizzy's rotating thing (not sure of the name) inside the cap is inbetween the start and finish markings. have i done this correctly?

Post subject: Re: have i installed my dizzy correctly?
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Make sure No. 1 piston is on the compression stroke. The dizzy rotor should be pointing to No. 1 spark plug lead (I assume this is START). The TFI module (grey fitting on the side) should be pointing towards the firewall. Was the gearbox in neutral all of the time the dizzy was out?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:13 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

hey shift. Yes the car was in neutral the whole time. The dizzy is pointing to number 1 plug, and the TFI is facing towards the firewall, the engine is in TDC, that means no.1 piston is on compression?

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NA Fairlane / FE LTD

VIC, Australia

tdc does not mean ie is on compression. Take out spark plugs and put your thumb over no 1 hole. Turn engine 360deg and it should try and blow your thumb off. If not try another 360.
Good luck

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

the start finish thing is there for a reason. when the dizzy is out of the car set it to start and when your push it into the engine it'll end up at finish. because of the way the gear is cut it turns as you push the dizzy into the engine

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
the start finish thing is there for a reason. when the dizzy is out of the car set it to start and when your push it into the engine it'll end up at finish. because of the way the gear is cut it turns as you push the dizzy into the engine

Yea i did notice that when i pushed it in, its currently sitting on plug 1, i will have to check if its on compression tomorrow,

is there an easy way to remove the dizzy without taking the BBM off if i have installed it incorrectly?

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

lowie57 wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

Yea i did notice that when i pushed it in, its currently sitting on plug 1, i will have to check if its on compression tomorrow,

is there an easy way to remove the dizzy without taking the BBM off if i have installed it incorrectly?

you need a hand that bends in crazy directions for a log manifold falcon. not sure about a bbm one. i pull my isc on mine when i do a dizzy/ leads etc

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

lowie57 wrote:

I removed the airbox to give more room to manoevre the dizzy. You won't need to remove the BBM.

The distibutor only seems to seat properly in 2 positions. After installing the EF engine, I had trouble getting enough room to advance the dizzy timing. I tried a dozen times to getting the oil pump shaft in right position. Whatever you do, don't force it or you may damage the aux shaft and then you're in a world of $#*@.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

ok, so i was 180 degrees out, i cranked it over until i got compression in the first cylinder, once the compression was there i alligned it to TDC, and i pulled the dizzy out and rotated the rotor 180 degress so it was sitting inbetween the start and finish markings..

Tried to fire it up, but it didnt want to start.. It would not get even close to starting unless i fully retarted the timing, and then it would rumble really rough and would eventually die even with the throttle opened full.

So i spun the dizzy to advance the timing, but it wouldnt have a bar of it.. might have the odd puff of black smoke or something..

im not sure where to do from here??

retarding almost gets it running, but dies, advancing it and the car wont start at all.. im out of ideas

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Sounds like you might be one tooth out on the dizzy. Lift it up and turn the rotor back anticlockwise one tooth. Next time you take a dizzy out, turn to tdc and take the cap off. Make sure the rotor is pointing to no1 lead and texta mark the position on the dist body.
If you can keep it running you can fine tune it with a timing light.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

ok, so one tooth? i found that when i was trying to fit it, it only seemed to go in a few certain ways.. like almost you could turn it a quarter of the way around before it would slot back in again? im not sure if im making sense?

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Not sure how many teeth on the dizzy drive but the shaft will locate that many different positions. Divide 360deg by the number of teeth, rotate the button roughly that many deg and it will spin back to the correct position. Lift the body just enough to clear the teeth and turn the rotor to the next one and drop it back down. keep trying until you get it right.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

ill have a crack tomorrow, so anticlockwise you say?

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

lowie57 wrote:
ill have a crack tomorrow, so anticlockwise you say?

If you had to retard the timing to get it to start then it is to far advanced. Turning the rotor anticlockwise effectivly retards the timing

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: toyo,2ea,3eb,1ef,1el,zh

QLD, Australia

:D hey lowie---if you hadnt turned the motor while installing the welsh plugs --IT WAS STILL IN THE RIGHT POSITION---you will now be 360deg out on the motor & 180deg out on distributer. to correct--[1] put back to top/d/centre--[2] dizzy should now be back on FINISH mark, if not turn a bit to align up--[3] remove dissy--should be on START mark once out--[4] turn motor 360deg to t/d/c mark again--[5] install dissy--if pointing to start as you put in--should end on finish when fully down--[6] if dissy wont go completly down al the way--while keeping downward pressure on dissy - turn motor clockwise by hand--dissy will drop in once oil drive on bottom lines up--[7]replace all other parts that you removed & START..... :mrgreen:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next