Head and Cam Packages 

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Head and Cam Packages
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:15 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Hey Guys,

Im looking at getting a head and cam package, after some research on here and google it seems that the CMS stage 3 package looks to be the way to go.

Has anyone on here have any of these installed in thier cars? how do they perform? how did you go with tuning the car, etc etc.

My biggest issue is that i live in Brisbane so im going have get it sent up here and get a base tune from TI just to get the car to start, its my daily driver so i need to do the head change over a weekend.

Cheers.

AU II Fairlane Ghia 180 hp@ the wheels, Pacemaker 4499, RedBack 2.5", stock CAT, CAI, Lovells low's. More to come

Post subject: Re: Head and Cam Packages
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:23 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AU II XR6 UTE

similar situation here

2001 AU II XR6 HP LIQUID SILVER UTE

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:03 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

javier86 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Im looking at getting a head and cam package, after some research on here and google it seems that the CMS stage 3 package looks to be the way to go.

Has anyone on here have any of these installed in thier cars? how do they perform? how did you go with tuning the car, etc etc.

My biggest issue is that i live in Brisbane so im going have get it sent up here and get a base tune from TI just to get the car to start, its my daily driver so i need to do the head change over a weekend.

Cheers.

Contact Joe at CMS. I am running a Stage 3 head and it is great. Many others have run other combinations 3 head with 2 cam etc. I run the stock XR cam but have my own reasons for that.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:52 pm 
Smokin em up

care to share your reason?

I mean, if its some sort of technical reason. :?

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:04 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford

NSW, Australia

coz there cams are s**t!

be warned. I tell it how I see it.

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:39 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

the stig wrote:
coz there cams are s**t!

Funny C***.

Their cams are fine and perform extremly well.

I use the XR cam due to my setup, no other reason. May use a stage2 later or even a custim grind.

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:44 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford

NSW, Australia

imo they are nothing but trouble
I had a stage 3 and it kept braking rockers and could never get it to stop rattling
I believed the hype based on forum say so and was led down the garden path
I now know who there cams were getting ground by
and there heads are not done in house they are done elsewhere
your paying premium money and getting someone else work

yes im a funny C*** coz I wasted near 2g to only gain 20kw
might have been impressive 10 year ago but not by todays standards

be warned. I tell it how I see it.

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:12 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the replys guys I'll do a little more research on the matter being based in Brisbane I don't have the luxury of just going to his workshop should something go wrong. And I haven't found any workshops in Brisbane that like to play with anything pre BA :(

AU II Fairlane Ghia 180 hp@ the wheels, Pacemaker 4499, RedBack 2.5", stock CAT, CAI, Lovells low's. More to come

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:37 am 
Smokin em up

Javier,

I'm also considering Clive Cams (from Victoria) (03) 9758 5977 . He will do a custom regrind for around $250 on an exchange basis. Could be an option seeing as you only have to post the cam. I believe you just let him know what mods you've done and exactly what type of cam you want. You may have to add shims?

SWC

I have a EL hybrid engine (has problems) sitting here - I just need to confirm that the cam out of it will fit the AU and nothing else will have to be swapped over? Also, I Don't want to have to do any head work however I've heard that you must have double springs. Is that correct?

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:40 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

drewh wrote:
Javier,

I'm also considering Clive Cams (from Victoria) (03) 9758 5977 . He will do a custom regrind for around $250 on an exchange basis. Could be an option seeing as you only have to post the cam. I believe you just let him know what mods you've done and exactly what type of cam you want. You may have to add shims?

SWC

I have a EL hybrid engine (has problems) sitting here - I just need to confirm that the cam out of it will fit the AU and nothing else will have to be swapped over? Also, I Don't want to have to do any head work however I've heard that you must have double springs. Is that correct?

The EL Hybrid cam will fit the AU. As for spings, it will depend on the "grind" of the cam.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford G6E

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
javier86 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Cheers.

Contact Joe at CMS. I am running a Stage 3 head and it is great. Many others have run other combinations 3 head with 2 cam etc. I run the stock XR cam but have my own reasons for that.

Can you tell me what was modified on that head package and what the cam specs are please.
We do cnc ported head and cam packages that we believe are very competitive and offer excellent performance. We have just completed a cnc ported package to suit the BF turbo hi swirl head. will have numbers shortly.
Rod, AED.

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I will share my experience with you guys. I had a wade 977b cam and head work by L.W Parry where Shane used to work. Shane did a fantastic job on my head. Paid $800. I made 151rwkw with 425rwnm. I decided to go bigger so i went wade 1521a cam and i heard that Shane now was working at cms. I took my other head i had due to being a virgin cylinder head and had no issues to cms for a stage 3 job. I did request for Shane to do it. What i got is my head i gave was no good. Cms supplied me another head same vintage 96AB. I supplied camtech springs, locks and retainers. I requested to have 125 psi seat pressures. After it was all ready Shane didn't port my head they send it out to another shop and couldn't tell me what they set my seat pressures at. After $1800 for a stage 3 head only which i supplied head (no good), springs, locks and retainers. I felt like i had d***head written on my forehead. After installing it all on my engine i took it to the same dyno. I made 155rwkw with 390rwnm. I felt i lost lots of torque which i did. I put my 977b cam back in with the cms stage 3 head. drove the car and felt more torque (got my torque back again). Went to the same dyno again. Made 149rwkw with 377rwnm. WTF I felt more torque now but it was raining maybe that was a problem I don't know. Now i have the camtech 845 cam and still the cms stage 3 head. Very happy with this cam but not too sure about the head tho. The morel of the story is that i felt i got ripped off by cms which i could have taken it to another cylinder head shop and got the same job done cheaper and spoken to the people that did the job not the middle man.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford G6E

VIC, Australia

We see this sort of thing happen all the time. People start up hi performance shops that have no real formal training in proper engine machining/ racing engine preparation. Promise the world, we can do this or that and then send it out for someone else to do.
When you next get work like this done, have a look at what equipment they have, find out what they do in house and experience they have. You may be surprised.
Rod.

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:42 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

AED262 wrote:
We see this sort of thing happen all the time. People start up hi performance shops that have no real formal training in proper engine machining/ racing engine preparation. Promise the world, we can do this or that and then send it out for someone else to do.
When you next get work like this done, have a look at what equipment they have, find out what they do in house and experience they have. You may be surprised.
Rod.

I run a CMS Stage 3 head and have had plenty of work done there. I can say that I have had no issues with the workmanship or the support from CMS.

They have plenty of vehicles with their head packages running around with great results. I have known Joe and his crew for many years and not only have I found them helpful at every turn, I am proud to call them friends.

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sorry i am not trying to put cms down. I have respect for Joe and his work but i feel i just got ripped off. It was the first time i ever delt with cms and i feel that way.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next