head bolt torque setting - EL 4L 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: head bolt torque setting - EL 4L
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hey everyone,

sorry for asking what is probably a very common question in these parts (yes I have done the search and checked in my hopeless “max ellery’s vehicle repair manualâ€￾ but im just looking for the torque rating for the SOHC 4L EL head bolts, if anyone has a answer for me that would be much appreciated :) thanks guys

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

use the torque settings for the gasket you get (should be on the package).

will be something like 40NM then 90 degrees.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

i dont mean to sound like a massive n00b, but how does 40nm then 90 degrees work

:oops: im use to something like 120nm :| first falcon headgasket iv done

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I think off memory it's 60nm and then a 1/4 turn further (we measured and it ended up being about 90nm in the end). But there's different torquing stages before that, and an order to do it all - all that information should be on the front of the headgasket package.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

alrighty great thanks guys ill give it a go :-)

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

40NM +90 (which is what my manual says is the genuine ford gasket settings) means you do each up to 40NM in order. You then go back and turn each of them another 90 degrees.

Doing it that way gives you a more even result than doing each bolt up to 90NM or the end result works out to be.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i did mine to this spec
40 nm
80 nm
115 nm

still runnin good :)

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Doing it that way gives you a more even result than doing each bolt up to 90NM or the end result works out to be.

How does having the bolts at varying torques give a more even result?

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

i should have checked the package first :oops:

the set i got was 40nm then 90 degrees, just did it up, hopefully all will be good by the end of the night! thanks alot guys :D

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
stockstandard wrote:

Doing it up in two passes brings the head down straight and compresses the gasket more evenly.

Doing it to a specific final torque setting instead of an initial + X degrees is a bad idea.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

not to mention at around 100nm of torque its quite possible for some little issues to give the reading a little out.

40nm + 90 deg would work out more accurate that a single torque of 90nm or so i would think.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

it also depends if you use a torque wrench with a click out or and older style with a needle and gauge ( my finally setting was 130nm - for certon reasons :P )

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
stockstandard wrote:

Doing it up in two passes brings the head down straight and compresses the gasket more evenly.

Doing it to a specific final torque setting instead of an initial + X degrees is a bad idea.

i agree with torquing in steps, however, torquing to an amount of a turn i disagree with, it would result in uneven final torques, as well the fact that you might turn one to 85* and the next to 95*, your estimating the 90* turn, unless there's anyone here whose used a right angle or protractor to measure it exactly?

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:22 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: falcon eb

WA, Australia

the bolts i got the other day surgested for the el 2 and au to do 30 nm and then 120 ' turn

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I can see why you think that, but on the other hand it even if you are a few degrees off it will be more accurate in clamping force than using torque wrench settings along. Lots of reasons for this (tightening bolts inconsistently is an incredibly complex subject). There are 2 main reasons:

1. Torque to yield bolts are elastic, so as they get towards the final torque reading they start to stretch they wont increase the torque wrench at the same rate. If you are chasing a high torque setting you can overstretch the bolt and it will be more prone to snapping.

2. Friction causes inconsistent torque settings at high NM, but angles are always the same. You get better accuracy by using the torque wrench for the start where it is accurate then using an angle to finish it.

Here it is explained better and in more detail:

Quote:
The more a bolt is tightened, the harder it is to obtain accurate clamping load with the bolt. Friction and stiction are the enemies. Friction occurs as the bolt is being tightened. The threads on a bolt are like a ramp. As the bolt is turned, the ramp must slide against another thread or ramp in the bolt hole. The tighter the bolt, the harder it is to push or move up the thread's ramp. The tightening force can be compared to a person pushing a box up a ramp. If the weight of the box is increased, it takes a lot more force to move the box.

Stiction is stationary friction. Starting the bolt turning takes more force than keeping it turning. The tighter the bolt, the more stiction can affect torque readings. Lubrication helps the threads slide easier but one lubricant differs from another in their lubricating qualities. Manufacturers will specify what type of lubricant if any to use on a bolt when torqueing it. Use a different lubricant and the part may not be tightened enough or it could be clamped too tight.

Tightening torque-to-yield bolts is done in several stages using a combination of torque and turning angle. First, the bolts are tightened to a low torque specification so that even clamping load is placed on the parts being assembled. Often, the bolts are tightened again to a slightly higher torque as a second stage. This is still a low enough torque that friction and stiction on the bolt threads affect tightening torque very little. Then each bolt is turned a specified number of degrees usually in two or three steps. For example, each bolt might be turned 90 degrees, then another 90 degrees and the tightening completed by turning a final 70 degrees. The clamping force exerted by the bolts is accurate and even.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next