Fordmods Logo

Head gasket recommendations & questions 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Head gasket recommendations & questions
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

my nf's headgasket must be getting ready to go as ive been told by a fordmods member

allow me to fill u in

the nf when cold and u take off there is a flat spot in acceleration after 1300RPM only when its cold and its very short it gets over it within a minute easily

so i was told this could be the head gasket not expanding with the metal and cutting off pressure or something like that idk he wasn't very specific can anyone tell me if this is true ??

if so i would like to know what brand of head gasket everyone recommends ive noticed all these different stating different ways to get a great job

i was also wondering if im going through the trouble to do the head gasket while im at it should i do a cam as well ??

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Post subject: Re: Head gasket recommendations & questions
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Before replacing the head gasket, you need to confirm a few things:

1. Are you leaking or using any coolant? Are there any visible leaks?

2. If no to the above, has the radiator been pressure tested to see if coolant is being forced into the cylinders?

3. Is there any sign of coolant in the engine oil?

An aftermarket cam is worthwhile, but you probably need a better exhaust, air filter and cold air intake to start with. Everyone seems to be using AU metal gaskets now.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

my oil level may of risen a little and i may of lost a lil coolant

as far as im aware the NF has never had her gasket done as there is no sign of any part (water pump and power steering pump and idle and belt tensioner excluded) from being replaced and its done 281,000ks as when i got it the previous owner was running it the ground never fixing anything due to he didnt know how to (he admitted this to me and was the reason for the low price)

no visible leaks

i have a high flow air filter i cant do the exhaust as when i get my p's (next mnth) any performance modification that can be noticed i cant have legally a 2.5" would be easily noticed air filter i can get away with and maybe get away with a cam idk if i would get away with cold air intake

the only au gasket that showed up on ebay (just to get a rough price) was hell expensive

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-FALCON-EA-AU-4-0-1-3MM-MULTILAYER-HEAD-GASKET-/160422361233?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2559eaf891

is it worth that much ????? thats ridiculous

but this is under el

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-EF-EL-6cyl-VRS-gasket-set-including-head-bolts-/350422534093?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5196cf87cd

ive bought alot of items from kingswood country and they have been of great quality

i have very limited knowledge in head gasket i want this to be done properly if dad had his way he would put the cheapest gasket in and would redo it every few yrs i would rather do it and not have to touch it for another 15yrs if possible

ive been told AU heads are better (bigger exhaust valve) against standard falcon is this the same for the fairlane as ive been told it should have all the tickford stuff in it being a ghia ? or something making it have a big exhaust valve like a AU head

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:52 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the au multi layer gasket is about $99 from ford..

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ok ill check my local ford dealer & ask papa smurf (betting papa smurf is cheaper)

thanks troyman saved me a fortune lol

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Retail price is $97.00 I can do better for you if you need it.

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

get a compression tester, and check each cylinder when it playes up, if its only when its starting to heat up could be a crack???

or maby timing?

dont pull the head without being certain it is or you will see your pay check disapearing in a few seconds

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i dont have a compression tester

timing is controlled by the ecu i believe so i just recently replaced it (old one was fuxored) and still does it under the new one

were could it possibly crack ?

and when it stuffs up if i hit the accelerator to the floor the car will all of sudden pick up and go regardless of cold or not so i doubt its a crack otherwise i shouldn't have power when i do that when its cold

the motor still has plenty of power and isn't afraid to show it either it idles fine just once im getting at 30km when its cold it just looses power for about 3 seconds then its happy

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

It could very well be the head gasket. My dads car (EF fairmont) was really sluggish, cold and hot. Did compression test all passed. Done pressure test all passed. We thought bugger it, it has been 255k since last head gasket, do it anyway. Pulled off the head and yep fair enough, the gasket was about to bust in about 6 places :shock:

Since then, the car has been like a brand new one :lol:

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

mum keeps telling me to wait till it actually goes...is this wise or catch it while ive got warning signs ?

and at papasmurf

does that include a vrs kit ?

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
mum keeps telling me to wait till it actually goes...is this wise or catch it while ive got warning signs ?

Not a good idea! If it starts leaking badly or goes altogether, you may be a long way from home or a workshop. I towed some people on the Hume Highway at Xmas one year when they did their head gasket. Everything was shut.

If you've got a workshop/repair manual and some mechanical skills, change it.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Fordsrule174 wrote:

lol wait till it goes and possibly cook/warp the head and leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

thats what im worried about as i dont have any road side assistance(i doubt ill ever need it i take such good care of the car and notice even the tiniest of problems early) and both my parents work full time

and god knows i would get the s**t with mum if it went and it blew or cracked something expensive under her advice to keep it till it goes

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

Yeah i second getting it done before you make even more problems for yourself. Fairly easy to do with the tech docos that are on here. If you shop around and speak to a few cyclinder/engine reconditioners, you should be able to get a fairly good deal with the parts and getting the head machined/pressure tested. Just make sure that you change and flush the coolant and the oil when doing a head gasket :wink:

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
thats what im worried about as i dont have any road side assistance(i doubt ill ever need it i take such good care of the car and notice even the tiniest of problems early) and both my parents work full time
and god knows i would get the s**t with mum if it went and it blew or cracked something expensive under her advice to keep it till it goes

Have you taken out the plugs and checked them? have you checked and made sure all the vacuum lines are in good condition? is the Exhaust and inlet manifold tight enough? did you disconnect the HEGO sensor?
Try all the easy stuff before you go to the EXTREME, it may be a silly little thing.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next