Head options 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Head options
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

no p's mate been a long time since I was cool enough to wear them. Its a daily family car the mrs drives the kids to school in, I just want to get into it on the weekends and have some fun. I am already doing commy 6's with the wagon ecu and stock apart from Lukey cat back and thats cool but not what I am after. I want to cruise and have the poke to get up and go when I want it to ( when I am not in danger of killing anyone bar myself) in reason. I dont expect to break land speed records nor do I want boosted, just a tough daily that even the mrs can still drive and that dont need a fuel tanker following it. Yes I could get this from other cars but I like the Ef's and have since they come out

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:47 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I've got a VCT head on my ED...

And as far as cams go I've a camtech VCT cam sitting on the table to go in it... Camtech do a few different grinds for the VCT head... My car is going on the dyno this arvo to see what it has nowadays...

I originally had 110rwkw with the extractors exhaust and that was about it... Since then the AU VCT head has gone in and I dialled the phasor in spot on to try and get every little bit there... Running about 5deg BTDC timing... BBM manifold has gone on... VCT fuel reg with AU injectors... EL tickford computer... 3.45LSD so we'll see what the dyno result says this time...

Our mate tickford_6 has a thread I only found the other day from a while back comparing bits and pieces of EF to AU VCT gear... Everyone says the EF head is best... So does Jim Mock... I don't understand why, I'm not saying it isn't the best head, but when I looked down the ports in my VCT they're pretty free flowing looking... No doubt he'd be able to explain for you and me in dumb peoples terms why the EF is the best head?

Anyway... I already had an EF XR head sitting here for it, and then bought a VCT head and fitted that... For me the biggest deciding factor behind it was I wanted something different, a talking point (small town, nobody seems to have seen a VCT AU, let alone a VCT ED) and I'm an aesthetics person, and I really liked the look of the VCT rocker cover and phasor assembly... So I chose based on looks than the required to become the fastest accelerating road vehicle... As I have gotten a little older I have lost interest in wanting to be the fastest or best and now just settle for what I like and I'll tell you the VCT gear goes better than the stock ED gear...

So next stage of affairs is to dyno it today and then fit the camtech cam and dial it in... And I would like to upgrade the intake system before the next time it is dyno'd... Running the stock AU intake at the moment with just a SS inductions snorkel... So the AU section from the box to the throttle body is small... Would like to get someone to make me a one piece unit one day... Or alternatively I'm hanging to win the lottery and buy a difilippo one...

I have pics and info etc in my build thread... Otherwise search for tickford_6's engine rebuild info thread...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thats funny TimmyA about small town s**t. I use to live in Griffith for about 3 years and when the first set of traffic light went in the whole town went hay wire. Leeton from what I remember use to be a bit of a car nut town, but it seemed to be either utes or jap crap. Hows the flood doing? One good thing to come from the floods is the inlaws still live in griffith and cant come down to see there new grandkid till the floods subside. Thank you floods

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Haha... You sound like a man of good humour...

Yes well anybody who got flooded... You choose to live on top of the river... Prepare to be flooded... So that's Wagga and Darlington Point which seem to have narrowly escaped it... Leeton and Griffith's biggest issue was the 175mm of rain overnight... We didn't have so much of an issue here... Out in the hilly parts they did, but they blew the main canal out between here and Narrandera and stopped the farming places disappearing because it was in danger of catastrophically failing... It just ran across TR80 into the river... But poor Griffith... They must have no drainage there... The rain caused them to flood... Handwood, Yoogali, Beelbangera, Yenda all went under water just from the rain... A couple of days later we were almost dry and Griffith is only starting it's clean up now... :? I'll tell you what though, Hay will be in trouble by the time it gets there...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
I've got a VCT head on my ED...

And as far as cams go I've a camtech VCT cam sitting on the table to go in it... Camtech do a few different grinds for the VCT head... My car is going on the dyno this arvo to see what it has nowadays...

I originally had 110rwkw with the extractors exhaust and that was about it... Since then the AU VCT head has gone in and I dialled the phasor in spot on to try and get every little bit there... Running about 5deg BTDC timing... BBM manifold has gone on... VCT fuel reg with AU injectors... EL tickford computer... 3.45LSD so we'll see what the dyno result says this time...

Our mate tickford_6 has a thread I only found the other day from a while back comparing bits and pieces of EF to AU VCT gear... Everyone says the EF head is best... So does Jim Mock... I don't understand why, I'm not saying it isn't the best head, but when I looked down the ports in my VCT they're pretty free flowing looking... No doubt he'd be able to explain for you and me in dumb peoples terms why the EF is the best head?

Anyway... I already had an EF XR head sitting here for it, and then bought a VCT head and fitted that... For me the biggest deciding factor behind it was I wanted something different, a talking point (small town, nobody seems to have seen a VCT AU, let alone a VCT ED) and I'm an aesthetics person, and I really liked the look of the VCT rocker cover and phasor assembly... So I chose based on looks than the required to become the fastest accelerating road vehicle... As I have gotten a little older I have lost interest in wanting to be the fastest or best and now just settle for what I like and I'll tell you the VCT gear goes better than the stock ED gear...

So next stage of affairs is to dyno it today and then fit the camtech cam and dial it in... And I would like to upgrade the intake system before the next time it is dyno'd... Running the stock AU intake at the moment with just a SS inductions snorkel... So the AU section from the box to the throttle body is small... Would like to get someone to make me a one piece unit one day... Or alternatively I'm hanging to win the lottery and buy a difilippo one...

I have pics and info etc in my build thread... Otherwise search for tickford_6's engine rebuild info thread...

Cheers,
Tim

So how did it go on the dyno..

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

sounds like the wet season has come? good shooting up that way when its the wet season :)

as for head work, get an after market cam from wade, id say 1673. skim the head au head gasket crow cam springs some decent valves vernier gear, extractors and exhuast to breath easier a j3 and 3.9 diff gears to get it boogying off the line. thats what my plans were if i decide not to go boost or v8 see how it goes.

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Dyno result was next to no improvement in the power department which was a slight shock... I'd have expected to see more... But it was around the 115rwkw mark... but it did what I had set out to do all along... Big improvement in low rpm torque... Which is where I drive the car... And that is why it now feels more lively on the road crusing around... Plus my now improved fuel economy so I'm happy thus far... The dyno is old and broken so I don't have a print out and was too busy looking at the torque curves and comparing them to actually check and see what the values were... :(

I am wondering whether the phasor is doing it's right thing... I fiddled with the manifold... taking the intake pipework out made a difference... My BBM is dropping to short runners when you tramp it and causing a large loss in torque so will rectify that (discovered this by tying the manifold to long runners)... But it seems to drop off quickly in the high rpms... tickford_6, when you destroyed that VCT head, you didn't happen to retain the phasor did you? I wouldn't mind getting another one that hasn't been dismantled for the sake of trying that...

Next stage of affairs is to put in the camtech cam, open the rest of the intake piping up, and maybe try another phasor now...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

sounds like my problem im having atm..if im driving my car normal its really good down low, as soon as i go WOT at low-mid rpm the car takes forever to move until it gets up over 3500 rpm, but the power also drops off right near the red line

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

What I am thinking is it all comes down to air flow and a good tune maybe for my Ef? Tickford cam didnt really get high gains did it, and the idea of a chunky cam in the Family car chewing juice going from the house to school and back most the time is not that good. Also obviously the stock head aint bad if they can handle turbo's.Au gasket increasing comp on a stock head should be solid & reliable with that little comp increase helping things move on a bit better. I am considering port matching the inlet/ exhausts to the head. Whats it worth now days?
Obviously it has no fuel delivery problems on a stock reg because when I tested delivery on it I got a fuel bath.Want to tighten the throttle cable length with a new oem or maybe aftermarket one to the size I want so when the pedal is touched its instant feel direct to the throttle body. Got Au injectors coming to utilize the fuel and a reco of the manifold. Also new fuel pump ( thinking Bosch oem) and a tank clean. Fuel solved for a daily?
I am thinking about the induction setup I had on my Tj. Yes they are two different setups but I did like one thing the tj had. Half way through the air induction there was a seperate chamber to hold air for instant delivery while the rest of the boys cought up. It maybe under a second's difference but it could help the large i6. I was thinking about some how replicating that by placing a small pod up near the joiners, say 2" pod. I would place it facing down to catch any cold air coming up the k frame and will then fit under the stock bonnet ( trying to not go bonnet cutting for air flow). Do you guys reckon it would do any good? Will be going an auII tickford big mouth too. Got extractors on the way. Hopefully air flow solved?
I might go a j3 tuned for max performance/economy. The box is nice and tight. It changes flawlessly and quickly. The diff is also good. Someone will have to explain to me how an i6 can go faster than 80 on a 391 diff?
Going to drop some jap light weight 17's on her that came off the magna. These things weigh less than 13's I am sure. They will make a huge difference but I cant think of any other weight decrease options without sacrificing the Fairmont in her. I am using an 8" sub to keep weight down, but the amps are a bit heavy.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2