Fordmods Logo

head shave 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: head shave
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

SA, Australia

Hey guys im getting my head recond and im going to get it shaved slightly. How much should i get taken off and whats the max tolerence before it will mess with the chain.
cheers

EF II Falcon Gli 5spd
Cold Air Intake
Genie Extractors
2.5" Cat Back Exhaust
CSA 16" Mags

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Th chaps reconditioning my EF head said you can take up to 50 thou off. In case it needs planing later on, I said make it 25 thou to be on the safe side.

They also advised using high compression pistons instead of planing too much off. Can't say for sure that 50 thou off will make the chain rattle.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

was just searching for something relevant to this topic...

Im hoping to find out what the limits of compresion are (in theory, dun have money to spend lol) on these buggers. ie if you were doing a full bottom end rebuild, wiht an over bore and special pistons with custom valve notches how far you can shave the deck and head before quench zones disapear.

would 11:1 be out of the question? :twisted:

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

mums ED had to have 50 thou shaved off when the headgasket went, because the head was that f**k.

and an AU headgasket went in too when it was done, and theres no issues with the chain at all.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

Grimketel wrote:

im running 11.3:1 in a AU engine

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

macxr8 wrote:
Grimketel wrote:

im running 11.3:1 in a AU engine

can you divulge any information on a) what it took to get it to that level of comp, b) what it cost, and c) what difference did it make to the power curve and where?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ACL race series pistons, 0.013" off the block, 0.040" off the head and a AU steel head gasket. Cost me next to nothing as I work for a engine reconditioning shop. I pay for no machining etc, and as I'm the one that orders their spares I asked our suppliers for a really good price on all my parts. :)

With a mild port ie a clean and dedag basically, and running a CMS stage III I managed 140rwkw with no edit. Am hoping this figure will pick up a little once we do the edit.

Other mods include lukey Extractors with a redback 2 1/2" sports. K&N air filter and thats about it.

Ohh and I am running LPG, and yes the car pings its head off on Petrol under fulll load. Will try and get the 2 dyno run sheets next time Im at CMS

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

macxr8, what LPG mixer are u running? any pics of engine bay pls??

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

it all depends on how much has already been taken off the head before....and EVERY falcon E series has had the head taken of at least once or twice...

a new head is supposed to be 106mm thick and the minimum after machining is supposed to be 104.5mm

this means approx 60 thou can be taken off them...

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
a new head is supposed to be 106mm thick and the minimum after machining is supposed to be 104.5mm

that leaves very little in the chambers, so its probably a good idea to go no further than 50 thou, as you can only gain so much of the chamber back by reshaping it.

so mac, around 50 thou (if you have 53 thou) should give about 11:1 comp? Do you think at this much off the head/deck a reground cam is a bad choice for chain rattle reasons? would a billet be required?

nice figures on the engine, do you run 98ron all the time at that comp untuned? a capa flash will see that improve a lot.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
gogetta wrote:

that leaves very little in the chambers, so its probably a good idea to go no further than 50 thou, as you can only gain so much of the chamber back by reshaping it.

so mac, around 50 thou (if you have 53 thou) should give about 11:1 comp? Do you think at this much off the head/deck a reground cam is a bad choice for chain rattle reasons? would a billet be required?

nice figures on the engine, do you run 98ron all the time at that comp untuned? a capa flash will see that improve a lot.

he mentioned above he runs gas (which has a much higher octane rating). If you were running on pump juice you would generally need to run 98 ron depending on tune and timing. A reground cam doesn't really affect chain rattle, it gets noiser cause of the shims used (particularly if it isn't quite the right amount).

To get 11:1 compression you will need higher comp pistons as im pretty sure its too much to take of the deck/head (cbf figuring out at this hour how much you would have to take off to get there)

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thats why i asked him what he has done to get the 11.3:1. he has 53thou of the head and deck combined, and an au mls gasket. I dont think the acl race series pistons are hi- comp?

I wasnt meaning a regrind on its own causing slack chain tension, but couple a reground cam, plus 50 thou off the head, and Im thinking the possibility may be there. Obviously shims help but some regrinds, like the dev 5, are hard to shim up perfect, and they get chain rattle. a lot of dev 5's snap their guides becuase there is so much flex in the chain iirc.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the race series pistons alone give 10.2:1

Even running 98 she pings her head off under load.

Im running a Impco 225, and both Joe and I feel as if it is holding the LPG gas back as its only rated to 200hp. The next one up is the 300A, but there really isnt the room to put one in. So that leaves changing to Injection or Gas research. both are an expensive option at this time. Also I have spoken to suppliers of both and explained I have a modified motor and am chasing power and they cant guarentee me that it will improve anything.

So far no dramas with the chain. But when motor was built new chains, guides etc were installed.

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gogetta wrote:

www.trueblueford.com/shane_el.html

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

macxr8 wrote:
gogetta wrote:

www.trueblueford.com/shane_el.html

yeah i wanted to see your intake setup with the lpg because that aint too bad a power figure for LPG especially with only 225 mixer...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next