Fordmods Logo

Heater controls 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Heater controls
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

Basically, i can't change from re-circulated air to fresh air on the vent controls. It's stuck on re-circ.
All the other heater controls work fine. ALl the vacuum hoses seem to be in the right place. Any ideas?

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Post subject: Re: Heater controls
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Is the cable still connected to the lever that operates the vent door? Perhaps it's broken or come off.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

they usually get stuck on fresh air not re-circ, are you sure here?

There is no cable its vac opperated... Usually the vacuum plunger breaks the arm off that operates the door and wont change over... You will find out though, lay on the passenger plug and stick your hand up the recirc vent straight up there is the changeover door, if it moves freely by hand your plunger is broken off...

You have two options if so... Either way you need to pull the dash out... Then undo the three screws that hold this section of heaterbox in (just the re-circ vent) you can either replace with a good one that will brake again eventually... Or as I did you do a repair...

You make up a steel arm the same as the broken one and the pin that goes inside the re-circ vent and then make up a plate the same shapeas the end of the change over flap and then pop rivet your steel thing to the plastic door inside... Will never brake again, this requires various tools including silver solder and an oxy though... If your keen and handy the re-circ section separates into two halves and then you will see what you need to make up out of steel to pop rivet to the no broken plastic piece...

Common problem on EA to ED heater boxes...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon Monti

NSW, Australia

thats the same problem as i have except other way around (stuck on fresh)

Shortshift wrote:
Is the cable still connected to the lever that operates the vent door? Perhaps it's broken or come off.

ill make this bit easier, it may be the electronics in it as the fresh/re-circ is all electronic

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

tony.martin11 wrote:
thats the same problem as i have except other way around (stuck on fresh)
ill make this bit easier, it may be the electronics in it as the fresh/re-circ is all electronic

it is vacuum operated not electronically

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

tony.martin11 wrote:
Shortshift wrote:

I just finished saying no its not :roll:

On and ED (see is info in the side bar) the re-circ is vacuum operated... I don't know about your EF but I will 110% guarantee you its not electric... It puts a vacuum on a vac operated plunger which pulls on the door...

Some people are frustrating when they don't read the above posts :twisted: you make life difficult with your false info... (I'm not serious just having a stab :D)

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

cheers xr...

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Sorry, I must have been looking at the temperature selection cable in the repair manual then.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

Well even when its cold outside it still blows warm air out when set to cold (after the car has been heated up). It also blows outa lot of air on max speed and it seems the same amount as when re-circ is on. I put my hand up where the ECU is i can feel a sorta circular grill type plate, but nothing seems loose? maybe its the wrong thing :P

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
tony.martin11 wrote:
Shortshift wrote:

On and ED (see is info in the side bar) the re-circ is vacuum operated... I don't know about your EF but I will 110% guarantee you its not electric... It puts a vacuum on a vac operated plunger which pulls on the door...

Some people are frustrating when they don't read the above posts :twisted: you make life difficult with your false info... (I'm not serious just having a stab :D)

sorry timmytimtim, im a quite slow typer at times but when i took the dash out my fresh/re-circ buttons on the ef are electronic but i only looked at the module when i took the loom out, i didnt look at the heater box so wouldnt really know what happenes to them after.

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hey mate,

The circular grill is in the side of it, this is where the fan motor is...

The flap is straight up the top, it is curved...

Hard to explain if you run your fingers up the grill side of the re-circ vent up above the grill to where they stop going up, there might be a bit of foam there, pry your fingers into the join, the flap will move and you'll understand the flaps movements then...

if it is springy and wants to return upward when you let it go then you have vacuum there... If it wants to move freely then follow as I said above...

If it springs up then your vac lines work and are hooked up right, I'd try replacing the selector in the dash...

Cheers,
Tim

Shortshift wrote:
Sorry, I must have been looking at the temperature selection cable in the repair manual then.

you'd be spot on here, the temp is cable controlled...

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

timmytimtim. ill also follow what you said and do the same thing when CLIMATE CONTROL goes in :D

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

tony.martin11 wrote:
timmytimtim wrote:
tony.martin11 wrote:
Shortshift wrote:

sorry timmytimtim, im a quite slow typer at times but when i took the dash out my fresh/re-circ buttons on the ef are electronic but i only looked at the module when i took the loom out, i didnt look at the heater box so wouldnt really know what happenes to them after.

Do you have the proper climate control? I still though most of the EF gear was identical to the ED's as the body didn't change that much... You might be right though, not familiar with them...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

tony.martin11 wrote:
timmytimtim. ill also follow what you said and do the same thing when CLIMATE CONTROL goes in :D

easier to re-engineer while the dash is out and make it break proof forever... :D even if its not already broken :wink: (assuming its identical to the ED setup)

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah well, any probs ill call on you for some advice

BANNED USER

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next