Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Heavy-Duty Flexplate?
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Well, I've cracked the flexplate on my EF XR6 for the second time in about 40,000 kms. Will try to find out what (if anything) is causing it when the transmission comes out. But I want to source a racing or heavy-duty (thicker and/or stronger) flexplate as insurance against it happening again. Does anyone sell such an item for the EF 4.0 BTR auto combination? Thanks all.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: Heavy-Duty Flexplate?
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

You'd be better served to find the cause then to bandaid with stronger parts.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I plan to do both. I want a stronger flexplate to ensure I don't have this issue again. Thanks.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Yes but at the power you make on street tyres finding the real problem WILL ensure you never have the issue again.
And you wont have wasted money on parts you don't need.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:23 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i agree,
i have enough power and torque to twist the input shaft on a t5 like a piece of licorice , yet as an auto i have had no issues with the std flex plate ...

maybe your torque convertor is out of ballance causing undue stress to the flex plate?
is there any strange vibrations?

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Hey, just out of interest, got any photos of liquorice T5 input warp?!

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks guys. No, no abnormal vibrations. And certainly not enough torque or shock loading to cause breakage. I am going back to the trans shop that supplied the last flexplate and handled the high-stall modification to my torque convertor to see if they can shed any light on what might be causing it. It is possible that it's just a defective flexplate. The last flexplate cost only $80, so I'm not even sure that it was a brand new part that went in (he probably told me at the time, but I forgot).

In any case, I can't avoid buying another flexplate, as this one's stuffed. As I have to go to the expense of pulling the trans anyway, I would rather spend a bit more on a higher quality flexplate and know that I won't have to do this again. Cheap insurance, basically. Does anyone know where I can buy one? Is the BA XR6 Turbo flexplate any stronger? Does it even fit the EF? Atomic has a billet chrome-moly flexplate for A$649 - but that's overkill and a little out of my league. Any other aftermarket options available?

I would put this question up on Boosted Falcon, but I think the two forums have a lot of members in common. Thanks for your help guys.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

UPDATE

Finally got the car looked at. It seems the trans shop managed to get the steel coolant pipe that goes around the back of the engine trapped between the engine and transmission :shock: , holding the two apart at the top. So, the engine and trans were at an angle to each other, and the flexplate was acting as a universal joint. No wonder it didn't last. It wrecked the trans fluid pump as well. But it's all getting sorted now.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:42 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Time to get a new trans shop mate. How the hell did they manage that? what did they do with the top bolts?

Seriously, thats not even an amateur error, thats just a rush job and very very lazy. I hope your not forking out a cent for their monumental f**k up.

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Too right! I had my neighbour (senior mechanic at the Ford dealership) sorting out the flexplate. He deals with the trans guy all the time through work so took it upon himself to sort the problem out for me :evil: . He's also 6'2" and 130 kgs - a man you do not anger :lol: (a line from the song 'Deacon Black') I'm confident it will end well. There's no explaining your way out of a stuff-up like that.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

I've seen about 5 falcons with the tag for the pipe stuck between block and bellhousing. How they manage to not realize is a mystery.
Probably the didn't see it didn't happen method.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Pakrat wrote:
I've seen about 5 falcons with the tag for the pipe stuck between block and bellhousing. How they manage to not realize is a mystery.
Probably the didn't see it didn't happen method.

The stories we could tell about that sort of thing.....................

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]