Fordmods Logo

HELP - 2010 FG Falcon XT - Metallic vibration noise 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: HELP - 2010 FG Falcon XT - Metallic vibration noise
Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2010 Ford FG Falcon XT

QLD, Australia

My 2010 FG Falcon XT [5 Speed Automatic] has developed an intermittent metallic vibration/buzzing noise during acceleration. My uncle recommended I get on here and see if anyone can help out.

Typically it presents when accelerating in the lower three gears, and disappears quickly once you back off on the pedal. I haven't managed to pinpoint exact RPM ranges, but has been observed at both 1500 and 2500. It will occur both when the car is driven as well as when revved whilst still. On days that it presents, it tends to present a lot. However there are days that it won't make the noise at all. I have not heard it while at higher speeds [i.e. 80km/hr plus].

The sound it makes is like a mixture of metal on metal vibration cross with rocks shaken in a tin can. At times it has a static element too it as well. It is clearly a noise that is not meant to be there. As time has gone on it has become increasingly common. What used to be a strange noise once every two weeks or a month is now more like every second day, or two out of every three. This progression has only occurred over the last few months.

I have taken in to the Ford dealership, who have repetitively told me that they can't hear anything, that it is performing as it should be, and that they believe there is nothing wrong with it. However, as it is an intermittent noise, its possible that it was behaving itself at the time.

Performance of the car is largely unaffected. Maybe a light reduction of power in the lower gears during the noise, but not noticeable. The noise comes in bursts that do not last long [generally less than a second, never more than five]. The car has never made the noise while idling [only ever during acceleration].

My initial inclination was that it was something to do with the gearbox, but I have no experience or expertise of any level when it comes to engines. I can understand how they work and identify arts, but not to any level that I could diagnose a problem by myself. My inclination may also have arisen out of knowing that the 5 Seed gearbox in that model of Falcon have their fair share of problems.

Any suggestions as to what it could be, or how to fix it, or any further information needed - let me know. I want to get it fixed, but want to go to the mechanic with some idea of the areas which are likely to be the problem. We are a young family, and this is the only car we have that is compatible with our car seat.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: HELP - 2010 FG Falcon XT - Metallic vibration noise
Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Check your torque covertor or your flex plate, could be loose.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks mate. Is this something that can be done at home by an amateur, or better to take to the local mechanics?

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

You could check at home to see if the torque convetor and or Flex plate is loose and you can tighten the tourque convertor up but the flex plate would be a gearbox out to do if it is loose.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Rightio. Thanks for your help. Is SWC in Cambelltown in anyway affiliated with the SWC Auto company in Brisbane?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]