Fordmods Logo

Help! Heater Core in NL 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Help! Heater Core in NL
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:18 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 284

Joined: 22nd May 2006

Ride: EL Charged Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Well after a week or something or losing a lot of water, I have FINELY found my leak....

The heater Core.

Replacing it is my new problem... I have never done it before and i hear there is a lot of Labour in it... So i would like to do it myself.

First question... BEST type of heater core??? (So i don't have to do this f**King job again)

What is Involved? I hear the Dash has to come out? All of it or what?

Anything i should do before taking the old one off? IE empty the water/coolant out, Do it on a cold motor, outside or where it can drain etc etc

Any and all help Is greatly appreciated!

IF i can get enough help on here i might take 2moro off and get this out of the way...

Thanks

Parker

 

_________________

Blown EL..
AU2 motor, White, Pov pack, Copy rims, Running 14psi

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:27 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

Replacing the heater core is a b**ch, you'll need to drop the coolant, AC gas and remove the dash (as you know)

Taking out the dash isn't hard. Just remember when you undo the lower 2 outer, 2 inner bolts, several upper screws and the steering column you need to Lift and then pull back (its on like hooks)
remove all the connections and take it out!

Then theres the outer firewall, 5 bolts holding on the heaterbox, and with the fairmont, theres insulation making the job more fun.

Its do able in a day, but do it undercover.

Repco cores are ok. and IIRC they're $170ish

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Last edited by Krytox on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:29 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 284

Joined: 22nd May 2006

Ride: EL Charged Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
Replacing the heater core is a b**ch, you'll need to drop the coolant, AC gas and remove the dash (as you know)

Taking out the dash isn't hard. Just remember when you undo the lower 2 outer, 2 inner bolts, several upper screws and the steering column you need to Lift and then pull back (its on like hooks)
remove all the connections and take it out!
arrrr.... AC gas?

do i have to???

 

_________________

Blown EL..
AU2 motor, White, Pov pack, Copy rims, Running 14psi

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:34 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

:(
yup

umm unless someone has a speshal trick!

you'll also need new heater hoses, getting the originals off may require cutting and well all rubber should be renewed when dealing with 10yo parts.

$250 should cover you parts wise.
but in all seriousness.... a weekender would be advisable for a first dash removal.

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:38 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 284

Joined: 22nd May 2006

Ride: EL Charged Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
:(
yup

umm unless someone has a speshal trick!

you'll also need new heater hoses, getting the originals off may require cutting and well all rubber should be renewed when dealing with 10yo parts.

$250 should cover you parts wise.
but in all seriousness.... a weekender would be advisable for a first dash removal.
gawd...

I should be able to get Heater core trade price... Hoses... MMm... hadn't thought about it.

I was under the car tonight, and The heater hoses on the motor side of the firewall weren't hard, still soft. But yeah i do see a good point to replacing them.


At the moment it used two tanks of water in a 35min drive!

I need to get it done!

How much car know-how would another person need if i got some help??? you reakon.

Thanks

 

_________________

Blown EL..
AU2 motor, White, Pov pack, Copy rims, Running 14psi

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3363

Joined: 27th Dec 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

Location: G town
VIC, Australia

i was sooo close to doing it this arvo/evening....i have no heater at the moment, it was 9 deg today in melbourne (bloody cold!!!).....also my interior windows are constantly fogging up and i have no rear demister!!!

i reeeeally miss my heater!!! but the A/C works..

i think the worst part is going to be getting access to the 10 or so nuts holding the box in place on the firewall

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:45 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 284

Joined: 22nd May 2006

Ride: EL Charged Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
i was sooo close to doing it this arvo/evening....i have no heater at the moment, it was 9 deg today in melbourne (bloody cold!!!).....also my interior windows are constantly fogging up and i have no rear demister!!!

i reeeeally miss my heater!!! but the A/C works..

i think the worst part is going to be getting access to the 10 or so nuts holding the box in place on the firewall
Hey mate. I live in the damn hills! I know all about cold! :P

My window buttons are still working! lol

anyway.... WHAT 10 or so Nuts on the firewall????

 

_________________

Blown EL..
AU2 motor, White, Pov pack, Copy rims, Running 14psi

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:49 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

Getting the hoses off is the pain no matter how good they feel! but since the heater core is allegedly stuffed you can crush the pipes and simply take em off.

In all seriousness. block off the heater core (join the pipes on the firewall together) see if this fixes your issue.

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:58 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 284

Joined: 22nd May 2006

Ride: EL Charged Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
Getting the hoses off is the pain no matter how good they feel! but since the heater core is allegedly stuffed you can crush the pipes and simply take em off.

In all seriousness. block off the heater core (join the pipes on the firewall together) see if this fixes your issue.
If i can get to/find them I might if i feel that this is gonna be way to big for me, join the pipes together for the mean time.

cheers

 

_________________

Blown EL..
AU2 motor, White, Pov pack, Copy rims, Running 14psi

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1863

Joined: 30th Apr 2006

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Damn, I'm hoping to attempt my first dash removal in the next few weeks, and this isn't sounding promising :(
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:36 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 284

Joined: 22nd May 2006

Ride: EL Charged Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Private9 wrote:
Damn, I'm hoping to attempt my first dash removal in the next few weeks, and this isn't sounding promising :(
Tell me about it man... I shopuld still be able to get to pick up that rear light by the way.... If i don't do this 2moro or make plans to get it done the next day I "Might" have to get that light another time.

I will keep you posted.

Parker

 

_________________

Blown EL..
AU2 motor, White, Pov pack, Copy rims, Running 14psi

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:45 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names