Fordmods Logo

help!!!! mechanics dont know what im talkin bout!!! 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: help!!!! mechanics dont know what im talkin bout!!!
Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:25 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1996 EF Falcon, 5spd

New Zealand

hey all, hope someone can help put this myth to rest... i have a 1996 ef II falcon, 5speed, i am having the occasional problem off when, i try to start my car thea is nothing, no clicks, no tired attempt at starting just silence,. i found if i stomp the brake pedal it starts. no one i have talked to can explain it, i myself am boggled. i recently rebuilt the engine (top half anyway) but was doing this before that, i replaced starter to no avail. any help be much appreciated.could it be possible that some off the teeth n the flywheel are worn????would that cause it :evil:

1996 Ef Falcon, Re built 4.0L, 5spd man, chipped tickford e.c.u, GT monroe gas shocks, lovell springs, nolathene mounts, hurricane headers, 2.5" exhaust,

Post subject: Re: help!!!! mechanics dont know what im talkin bout!!!
Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Lol My EF wagon did exactly the same thing, BEM (Body Electrics Module) in the dash is the cause. Try this, turn the key to the 'start' position, hold it there and bang on the dash directly above your left knee (next to the steering column). It's inconvenient but it'd drive a car thief ape-s**t. :lol:

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:43 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yep. A new BEM required. Quite a common problem in the EF's as they age.

Dry solder joint on one of the relays.

Either can cleanup all the joints inside the BEM, replace it with the same part and do the relearn sequence, or bypass the starter security (there is a doco in here somewhere for that).

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

my EL's bem stuffed up to (interior lights wouldnt turn off)
i am a computer technician so fixing it was a sinch i just got a temp replacement while i worked on the old one i just had to replace a resistor to fix that issue and while i had in pieces i renewed all the solder took me about 2 weeks to do (only did it in my spare time) u might be able to get a new one from ford maybe idk ask papa smurf (would be the best idea for the long run and getting one while u can is a good idea as there are some parts in there i cant get replacements for so this is a concern if they go i have to get another)

Esteven8's idea might work its possible solution temporarily and would make ur car hell hard to steal as i can guarantee no thief will know to do that

by the sounds from your description its simple dried out solder just get a fine tip solder and heat to 260c and depending how bad it is just hold solder on all solder points of the board for 15 secs and wait to cool in between each (30 secs to cool) u may require to apply some new solder and lux to it to make it stick to the board properly (this is what i would do longer term fix)

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
i am a computer technician so fixing it was a sinch i just got a temp replacement while i worked on the old one i just had to replace a resistor to fix that issue and while i had in pieces i renewed all the solder took me about 2 weeks to do (only did it in my spare time) u might be able to get a new one from ford maybe idk ask papa smurf (would be the best idea for the long run and getting one while u can is a good idea as there are some parts in there i cant get replacements for so this is a concern if they go i have to get another)

Esteven8's idea might work its possible solution temporarily and would make ur car hell hard to steal as i can guarantee no thief will know to do that

by the sounds from your description its simple dried out solder just get a fine tip solder and heat to 260c and depending how bad it is just hold solder on all solder points of the board for 15 secs and wait to cool in between each (30 secs to cool) u may require to apply some new solder and lux to it to make it stick to the board properly (this is what i would do longer term fix)

I don't know...now that the information is out on the web, anyone can become a pro EF thief.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Fordsrule174 wrote:

I don't know...now that the information is out on the web, anyone can become a pro EF thief.

Certainly don't concur with 15 seconds per joint. no wonder it took 2 weeks.
any 15-30watt soldering iron, No temp control, thin resin core solder and about 3- seconds per joint staggering (zig-zagging) from one component to another!
Apply new solder to the component, Not the Iron.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Shhhh... He's a computer technician, dont f**k with him. :?

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EF SERIES 2 XR6

NSW, Australia

If the only issue u have is the car not cranking, get a small peice of 4mm wire, and bridge the to red and blue traced wires on the lower plug of the bem together :D ofcourse if this will onl work if it is the bem at fault!

96 EF XR6 Factory 5 sp, currently in the middle of building a new motor
75 XB hardtop, factory 351-4speed 9 inch 81000 genuine km's

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

phongus wrote:
Fordsrule174 wrote:

would a thief read how to steal a car on the net ??? honestly ?

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:07 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
phongus wrote:
Fordsrule174 wrote:

would a thief read how to steal a car on the net ??? honestly ?

Well to be a good thief you have to plan ahead and make sure that you can encounter any troubles.

If you wanted to steal something you don't just go and wing it...those that do just end up getting caught.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

if they are stealing they are not very smart in the first place as to the reason why most get caught if i was going to steal a car (not really i hate thief's the bastards) i would just get a tow truck(making sure there is no cameras around the area first) tow them away then break into them in a paddock somewhere far away and dismantle them then start selling the parts 3 months later

someone has tried to break into dads Hyundai excel GXL Sportz 2000 and somehow failed and f**k up the central locking it has no alarm or anything in it i could steal the thing if i wanted to no trouble and strangely enough the hyundai has been target a few times as someone broke a door handle on it while we were in shopping world, broke door handle again while it was at home and then got the central locking stuffed while at home but they didnt touch my NF or EL or mums BF all sitting outside at the time i know they are harder to steal due to they actually have a immobilizer and plastics inside the doors to prevent shoving bent metal rod down the door to unlock it and those funny shaped keys

this proves my point that if they cant steal a excel they aren't very bright

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

15 seconds,,,, either your melting the bem into a ball or you have a 5 watt soldering iron

3 seconds is pretty much a perfect solder if you know what your looking at,15 seconds is like 'dude wheres the track'

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

i was taught that 15 secs gets any air that may be in the solder as this is recommended if the solder has cracked and make the whole solder on that joint actually melt instead of just the surface and from my experience old solder takes a lot longer to melt than new solder ive done alot of work and have never melted a board or wrecked it of course u wouldn't use this time on resistors or chips of any sorts and prob a bit shorter on capacitors everything else should be fine

my soldering iron is a tip changeable temperature controlled it goes all the way to 480c its apparently 80 Watts ive never used its 480c (except when i first got it to burn the metal in so it wouldn't contaminate my soldering)

for chips i was taught that a temperature controlled interchangeable tip heat gun/hot air gun whatever u wanna call em with the fine tip on them going at 300c for 5 seconds will remelt the fine solder a lot easier than using a soldering iron and its true ive done it many times to even remove chips and replace em

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1996 EF Falcon, 5spd

New Zealand

CHERRZ for all ya help a, good point bout bein a factory anti theft device haha, il try bangn ma dash next time, gta be betA THan kickn the s@@t outa my pedal box!!!! hey dont suppose any one kan tell me why my onboard computer thing wont work??? next to your heater controls , it used to work before we pulled dash out , but now it constantly displays the clock(dim like the cars off) even when car starts, and is supposed to display litres per km an so on??? all plugs appear to be in, any help would be good

1996 Ef Falcon, Re built 4.0L, 5spd man, chipped tickford e.c.u, GT monroe gas shocks, lovell springs, nolathene mounts, hurricane headers, 2.5" exhaust,

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

if ur referring to it wont light up then it could be a blown bulb
the BEM controls the lights so if its faulty that could be the issue
also could be a wire got out somewhere or has snapped in the wire its self (rare and would require u to have pulled on it hard)

but if it does light up but just doesnt display the correct information it could be the trip computer its self is busted (ive never had one break on me and ive pulled them apart and blue modded them and everything so i doubt it) but that could be wiring to

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next