Fordmods Logo

help needed with au motor into xg ute 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: help needed with au motor into xg ute
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XG ute

QLD, Australia

g'day, chasing any info regarding air con set up for serpentine belt. my original compressor does not line up with au pulleys.thanks

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

put an au compressor on
problem solved

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

thanks for reply,wondering if au compressor braket fits with dizzy in place

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:02 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the au compressor will bolt straight to the block..but you might need custom lines.
depending on what type of connection is on your aircon lines.
if your lines are like the ed type you can bolt a ef pump on and use your aircon lines..
and ef to au dont have a bracket like the ea/ed and xg..
but if your using the log manifold then you bolt the compressor to your xg bracket and use a xh belt tensioner..

if your using the bbm au type manifold you can bolt the compressor to the block using the factory spacers..

and yes it does fitt with the dizzy but you might have to position it so the tfi module plug is facing the rear..

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

thanks for the great info, i'll see how i go with it in the next few days. cheers mate.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

From memory, for the sake of it i tried to fit the dizzy with the AU bracket in place and there was no way it was going to fit, at least alloy would need to be ground off the bracket.

Are you using the log or bbm?

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

thanks for the reply mate, i was going to use the log but after reading some of the posts i'm getting keen to try and experiment

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I don't know if you could get the timing right if you used the log.

I was only just 'happy' with the timing when using the log on my EL motor with XG ecu. The idle isn't quite as good as it could be, it's a tad rough (a tad retarded), and yet there is still occasionally a small degree of pinging on premium fuel at full throttle say 5000rpm (a tad advanced).

An EL ecu is tuned for the bbm so it may be worse when used with a log than the XG ecu. Also, the AU motor may have higher compression again, and may be worse than my EL situation.

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

looks like i may have had a win with a/c pulley lining up with other pulleys, changed to ef compressor .next step is xh tensioner ,try belt for size.i was wondering about timing with current setup. all the info has been great,lots to think about. like your choice of rides being im a fan of xg's. bullbar is on my shopping list near future. cheers mate

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Since you are talking XH tensioner i imagine you are using the log manifold and XG alloy a/c bracket with the EF pump? If so i'm pretty sure this should work apart from the timing problem.

I horror at the thought of taking the bbm off, putting the AU injectors into the log, putting the log on the motor, etc, etc, trying to set up the timing but not being able to, then swapping everything back to put the bbm on.

I have an EF/EL pump on my AU motor, but since i'm using the bbm i'm using the EF/EL brackets and AU belt, and don't need the XH tensioner.

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

to change to bbm is it neccessary to change ecu and loom,or run my loom on bbm .future plan is to run bbm,coilpack with ecu to suit .thanks for reply all info much appreiciated

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

IIRC someone on here did say the BBM won't clear the XG bonnet.

Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

thanks for input, i'll check that out for clearance next few days.info has been good, moving forward,spanners still in box not thrown around yard. all good,thanks mate

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

razza01 wrote:
to change to bbm is it neccessary to change ecu and loom,or run my loom on bbm .future plan is to run bbm,coilpack with ecu to suit .thanks for reply all info much appreiciated

My thinking based on evidence received is that you have no reasonable choice but to use the bbm and change the ecu to an EL. You could use a non-ecu dizzy in which you can alter the timing curve, say by changing springs, but i reckon that would be a bad option compared to the bbm. You could also add wiring so you can use an EF ecu (104pin) and coilpack, but again a bad option in my view compared to an EL setup.

If you go bbm, to get it back on the road asap you could run the motor without switching it until you sort that out. To make it switch you add the switching vaccum stuff and two wires from the switch through the firewall (where the green heater vacuum hose goes) and into the ecu. I give more detail in my EB engine conversion thread [ http://www.fordmods.com/forums/rd-s-upg ... 65892.html ], so does troyman in his tech article.

You will also have to sort out a few different plugs between the AU upper bbm and your XG engine wiring loom. I used an EL upper bbm for a straight fit, but i think you can make modifications and use the AU upper if you want to. It's best to fit the XG engine wiring loom to the bbm.

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
IIRC someone on here did say the BBM won't clear the XG bonnet.

Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this.

I haven't ever seen that suggestion. I can't imagine it being a problem. I have an OMVL converter mounted on the LF guard, essentially sitting above the log. I don't think a crossover pipe would be a problem either. [even if somehow there was a problem, a bit of bonnet modding would be easy]. I don't want to lead anyone astray though because i haven't done any measurements and don't have a bbm in my XG.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next