Fordmods Logo

HELP... Problems!!! Any info??? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: HELP... Problems!!! Any info???
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon EA S

NSW, Australia

I have an EAII and it drops cylinders...!!! I've replaced the spark plugs, leads, distributor cap, checked fuel lines, checked valves and replaced fuel pump. :? It doesn't happen to my car for like 1,000km but then out of the blew it will drop a cylinder while under load... It idle's on 6 Cyl and free revs on 6 Cyl... But drive the thing and as soon as foot goes flat it happens...???
I've converted from an auto to a 5 speed manual about a year ago, don't think it would make a difference but just mention it if that helps...
My second problem is the power steering belt keeps coming off.... I've replaced the belt 12 times ($11 X 12 = $132 of wasted money). I've replaced the pump, brackets, small pulley, harmonic balancer and it all looks inline... I've run several tests and the pulley's are all inline... I've asked mechanics and they tell me the good old "im outta idea's" line which helps me F*** all... severley annoyed and will provide more info if needed... Please help...

Cheers :shock:

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: AUIII XR6 HP

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Check your injectors. One might be f**k

PACEMAKER 4480, SS H/F CAT, 2.5" REDBACK, INTAKE PIPING, K&N PANEL, PIONEER TV

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Check your leads again. Make sure you put them in the right way. If you put the new leads in and had to pull them back out, make sure you pulled them out correctly, don't just yank on the cord, hold it firm at the rubber end and twist and pull. Never pull at the cord.

It could also be the little black unit on the distributor that may have hit the fan. Get that replaced and you should be good.

With the pulley. Instead of buying the fan that suits the EA (i betcha you bought the fan belt with the teeth in them?), find one that is similar in size, but without the teeth on them, see how that goes. When you put the fan belt on, check the tensioner, that it is nice and tight and also that the bolt isn't worn out and thus not tightening enough.

Good luck

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

forgot to mention replaced all injectors... The leads were put on correctly and i know how to put on and take off leads... That little black unit you were talking about, are you talking about the rotor inside coz ive replaced that too... it was a bit worn but replaced anyway... The tensioner is fine and i have stripped it... but i was told to put the tensioner tight but not too tight as this stretches the belt over time and hence will come off... Might try a different belt didnt know i could do that due to the teeth biteing and turning the pump...??? Thanks for the help, but any other ideas???

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

sorry meant to say HAVEN'T stripped the tensioner bolt...

cheers again...

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Out on a limb here - fuel pressure reg? That would probably cause all cylinders to lean out though, but you changed pretty much everything else right?

Post subject: Re: HELP... Problems!!! Any info???
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

bernie_888 wrote:
I have an EAII and it drops cylinders...!!! I've replaced the spark plugs, leads, distributor cap, checked fuel lines, checked valves and replaced fuel pump. :? It doesn't happen to my car for like 1,000km but then out of the blew it will drop a cylinder while under load... It idle's on 6 Cyl and free revs on 6 Cyl... But drive the thing and as soon as foot goes flat it happens...???
I've converted from an auto to a 5 speed manual about a year ago, don't think it would make a difference but just mention it if that helps...
My second problem is the power steering belt keeps coming off.... I've replaced the belt 12 times ($11 X 12 = $132 of wasted money). I've replaced the pump, brackets, small pulley, harmonic balancer and it all looks inline... I've run several tests and the pulley's are all inline... I've asked mechanics and they tell me the good old "im outta idea's" line which helps me F*** all... severley annoyed and will provide more info if needed... Please help...

Cheers :shock:

When you had the dizzy cap off, did you check to see if the reluctor had been poling out on the sensor??? See if the dizzy shaft wobbles, if it does, replace the dizzy. With a new dizzy, you get a new cap and rotor too.
How is the idler pulley bearing??? for the power steer pump tensioner???
Have you done a cooling system pressure test???
Have you checked the MAP sensor vac hose for splits???

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

maybe your ECU is having a bad hair day? just a thought.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

By idle pulley bearing you mean spinning smoothly, yeah it is... i thought the same thing and have replaced with a brand newy and spins smooth... didnt check the reluctor but will do but wouldn't that cause it to drop cylinder(s) all the time not just under load....??? replaced MAP sensor and vac hose is fine... how do u do a cooling system pressure test and what will this show inregard to my problem???
cheers, cjh and FORD4EVA yeah ive replaced alot and its costing way more than i hoped, im sure u can see why im annoyed...

Cheers :)

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Also, have you checked the ignition coil??? as in remove it, take the brackets off and check for cracks.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF XR6 manual

VIC, Australia

distributor ignition module?? :?

EF XR6 5spd 14.57@97mph
154rwkwts

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

i havent touched the ECU and thought that it might be the problem seeing though it was an auto car and now a manual... could possibly be the fuel pressure regulator.. oh and by the way battery dies if i dont drive it every second day... HELP!!! taken out all my stereo and amps thinking that could be the problem... but no...

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

again wouldnt ignition coil be resulting in cylinder(s) failing all the time?? Just asking:)

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

If your battery's dying then your alternators probably stuffed.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:56 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

bernie_888 wrote:
forgot to mention replaced all injectors... The leads were put on correctly and i know how to put on and take off leads... That little black unit you were talking about, are you talking about the rotor inside coz ive replaced that too... it was a bit worn but replaced anyway... The tensioner is fine and i have stripped it... but i was told to put the tensioner tight but not too tight as this stretches the belt over time and hence will come off... Might try a different belt didnt know i could do that due to the teeth biteing and turning the pump...??? Thanks for the help, but any other ideas???

Nah the little black thing is on the outside of the distributor. TF something module...I don't remember and can't be bothered checking what it is. They seem to die every now and then.

Alternator is stuffed if the battery isn't charging, but that could also be because your belt is slipping or coming off. Maybe the Alternator pulley is stuffed?

Have you checked your battery terminal? Check for any corrosion on the terminals, and make sure the wiring is nice and tight without any loose ends at the terminal ring. EA's had the tendency to have corroded battery terminals due to their age. My old EA1 was cracking the s**t when my positive battery terminal was hanging off 3 strands of copper, out of the possible odd 50 strands.

hope that might help.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next