Fordmods Logo

Help! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Help!
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford falcon xr6 el

QLD, Australia

I need your helpful opinion. I've got a xr6 el manual and I'm having problems with it. When the car slows down or stops at traffic lights the oil gage goes completely down and the car ends up turning off if I don't rev it. Sometimes it takes a while to turn the car back on after. We've done an oil and oil filter change but it's still happening. We thought because the oil thins out too much that may be the problem and it could also be that Ive been running the car on hardly any petrol (and especially when I get to the bottom of a hill) the car will start to jitter forward and then will stop. What do you think it is? I'm gonna fill the tank to the top as well as replace the fuel filter. But I don't know what to do with the oil part :/

Post subject: Re: Help!
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ea falcon

NSW, Australia

Replace the fuel filter, and make sure the idle control solanoid is clean and operating.

EA falcon(S-Pac) AU engine and injector's, EL BBM conversion,K&N pod,EL ECU,T5 5speed,EL Streering rack, EL Brake system, Extractor's 2 1/2in high flow cat, through 2 1/2in mandrel bent pipe with Lukey Performance muffler

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:03 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sounds like a fuel issue.

As you are running on low fuel, the fuel pump tends to pick up a lot more dirt and crap from the fuel tank as it slushes around. The more often you run on low fuel the more chances of blocking the something down the fuel line. A longer start time after engine stop is another indicator of fuel line blockage since the pump has to prime the fuel line again and with a blocked fuel filter, it takes longer for the pump to prime.

As suggested by EAfalconS, change the fuel filter as soon as possible to reduce damage to fuel pump. More work for pump = earlier pump death.

Regarding your oil pressure drop, are you sure it doesn't drop at the same time as the engine dying?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford falcon xr6 el

QLD, Australia

Nah engine stalls on idle, only after about 10-20mins of driving it signals that pressure is low and stalls out, only when revs are dropped so sometimes changing gears, at traffic lights, whenever clutch is in coming to a stop, even happens in neutral. Not sure what it is, will run some 98 and some fuel cleaner though for the other thing and be on the safe side after installing the new filter.

Any ideas on the oil situation?

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Ashley.kostelenski wrote:
I need your helpful opinion. I've got a xr6 el manual and I'm having problems with it. When the car slows down or stops at traffic lights the oil gage goes completely down and the car ends up turning off if I don't rev it.
Q) Does the warning light come on? Does this happen when the car is hot or cold or both? Sometimes it takes a while to turn the car back on after.
Q) You same sometimes? Not all the time?
We've done an oil and oil filter change but it's still happening.We thought because the oil thins out too much that may be the problem.
Q) Oil change will not effect the stalling of the car. What grade oil did you use?
It could also be that Ive been running the car on hardly any petrol (and especially when I get to the bottom of a hill) the car will start to jitter forward and then will stop. What do you think it is?
Q) How often do you run the fuel tank down this low?
I'm gonna fill the tank to the top as well as replace the fuel filter.
R) Good idea.
But I don't know what to do with the oil part :/
Engine stalls on idle, only after about 10-20mins of driving it signals that pressure is low and stalls out, only when revs are dropped so sometimes changing gears, at traffic lights, whenever clutch is in coming to a stop, even happens in neutral.
Q) If the Oil pressure is actually dropping, it will not stall the engine unless it is siezing up.
What RPM is the car at when the Oil Pressure drops?
What temp is the car running at when this occurs?
What grade oil are you using?
What brand oil are you using?
What Oil Pressure do you have at 1000rpm, 1500rpm and at 2000rpm?

Not sure what it is, will run some 98 and some fuel cleaner though for the other thing and be on the safe side after installing the new filter.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]