Fordmods Logo

High flow cats standard headers. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: High flow cats standard headers.
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ba xr6

VIC, Australia

Hi all,

New to modifications on ba's
I've recently purchased a 2.5" redback cat back system.
My current cat is shagged and I was thinking about getting a 100 cell high flow venom cat.
I'm just running standard headers at the moment. What's involved in making this work.

So basically.
Headers into a
2.5" 100cell high flow cat into the
2.5" cat back system

Post subject: Re: High flow cats standard headers.
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:41 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Wont see much without replacing the headers... If you're going to be arguing with the nuts and bolts on the exhaust system you may as well do all three in one go... The exhaust might make a slight difference if it is free flowing, the cat wont make much of a difference on a stock motor, and the headers will make a difference as they're massively more free flowing than the cast manifold...

You may not notice any difference driving it as far as power goes, would probably show up on a dyno, and may improve fuel economy...

If you steer away from a std cat it will bring on your engine light too... I know BF's have two hegos, I think it's the case for BA's too...The monitor before and after the cat to make sure it's working... If you fit 100CPI it wont work enough and the PCM will indicate a fault through the MIL... While not a massive headache, if something else happens to go wrong then your MIL is already on and you wont know...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ba xr6

VIC, Australia

In saying that, is it possible to turn the faultights off ??

Also, if I chose not to run a high flow cat, will the 2.5" cat back system bolt up to this current standard cat?
And if I were to later invest in some extractors will the standard cat bolt on and handle the change ?

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:08 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Probably can turn the fault light of permanently for the second hego somehow, I'm not sure...

A cat back exhaust is designed to bolt up to a standard cat more so than an aftermarket cat... If you purchased a cat that was made up already to suit the model it'd probably be right too...

Not sure about the bf but the e series requires the factory cat to be shorted to allow for the increased length of extractors, the increased length in extractors is what gives the motor more torque, hence the improved fuel economy...

For my ED an online company has made a jig to make a drop in replacement 200cpi magnaflow cat to suit pacemaker headers with a standard cat back exhaust... Just bolts up no worries, no aligning flanges on the cat before welding... And was priced right too...

Cheers, Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2003 BA N/A XR6 ute

NSW, Australia

As stated, no point having a high flow cat with no headers. Most (if not all) high flow cats available are made to suit extractors only. The Venom for example, is to suit the Pacemaker. The Venom cat also has the second sensor location for the BF (comes with a blanking plug to suit BA too). The light will come on but can be turned off by a tuner. The light being on will not affect the performance in the slightest.

2003 Narooma Blue XR6 ute - NOW WITH 6 SPEED! - Underdrives, Hyperflow + Terry pipe + turbo snorkel, 4490's, Venom H/F Cat, 2.5" Redback, BF Turbo T56 conversion, H/D Turbo clutch, custom tailshaft, 3.89 LSD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]