Fordmods Logo

High pitched whine that is connected to the throttle 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: High pitched whine that is connected to the throttle
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:49 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Hey Guys,

I've got a bit of a strange problem that I can't make heads or tails of. Whats happening is, while the engine is running, there's a high pitched whine coming from ... somewhere. The thing is, the noise lowers in frequency and sort of goes away at fully open throttle.

It kind of sounds like static, or some other kind of noise going through the stereo, but it was happening while the main power strap to the amplifier was disconnected. Also I opened the doors and listened up close to the speakers, the noise is definitely coming from inside the car.

I've recently had someone else working on it and when i got it back there were a couple of bolts missing from the plenum chamber. It could well be this I think because the noise variates depending on how far open the throttle is. However when I open the bonet and pull the throttle I can't really hear it.. Just normal engine.

THe only other thing I can think of is the gearbox. I've recently converted to 5sp manual, and there's no rubber grommet boot thing underneath the shifter. Just some vynil, the gearbox and then the black top.. so it -could- be the gearbox I suppose, but why would the depression of the throttle make a difference to what noise the gearbox makes..?

I dunno.. Has anyone else come accross a high pitched noise that changes with the accellerator ??

E-series

Post subject: Re: High pitched whine that is connected to the throttle
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak as you say it goes away at WOT.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]