high rpm noise after cam install 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: high rpm noise after cam install
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: el futura

NSW, Australia

hey guys I haven't posted in ages however I just recently carried out a cam swap and did my head gasket and timing chain and guides while I was at it, my car didn't make the noise before. Can any one tell me what the noise in this video from 5200rpm onwards is as my car is making the exact same noise with the same revs. My car is 97 el futura very healthy great compression (I tested it before all the mods) 271000kms on original h/g only reason I replaced it was because it was leaking externally on the exhaust side, mods are 30tho shaved head,mls gasket, 4480's, hi flow cat, 2.5 redback (whole is exhaust is only a month old bar the cat but the cat is tight and doesn't rattle), au injectors, 3" intake camtech h/d springs and a camtech ct006845 so its no baby cam at 221* at 0.050 530tho intake lift and 540tho exhaust lift. I did the cam and head last week and got a preprogramed j3 and programmer and installed it all, now ive searched and searched on here and google and youtube and this is the only video I could find, now the spark map in the j3 only goes to 5000rpm and it was pinging when I first installed the cam so I rotated my dizzy until it didn't ping and im just wondering if its still pinging up top or if its lifter noise or harmonics in the exhaust I pulled 1 degree out at 5000rpm today and it made no difference btw im a fully qualified mechanic so can any one tell me what the noise is please thanks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9XJOH8m-yI

Post subject: Re: high rpm noise after cam install
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

did you change valve springs and check p2v clearance?
also did you add an extra shim and check lifter preload?

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I didn't actually measure p/v clearance but I looked into the ports and spark plug hole whilst winding it over by hand to make sure and sorta based my safe side of clearance on another member with the same setup except 50tho shaved head and they had no drama. The cam is billet no so no extra shims

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

check your p2v on the car then, put 080 worth of feeler gauges between the HLA and valve tip and roll the motor over by hand, both forward and backward. that cam comes close to hitting pistons, i know this first hand, and a worn timing chain makes it worse.

also if it was pinging you will need to take more than 1 deg out, more like 3-4 just because you cant hear it pinging it doesnt mean its not still detonating. At this point you have gone way past the timing for peak torque

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ok but did you read my whole first post? I would of taken easy 6 degrees out by retarding the dizzy so it wouldn't ping in the mid range and then I took the 1 degree out in tunerpro and I upgraded the springs and the timing chain and guide is all new. I would have bent valves if my p/v was to close but I will still measure it tho. The cam still pulls past 5000rpm tho but I have my limiter set at 5800 and if there was a p/v issue why would a 977b make the same noise if its a smaller cam I revved it in neutral today and listened from out side im starting to think its more an exhaust noise

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have the same problem. I had the 997B-114 cam. Had no issues with pinging. Put the 845-114 cam and only on full throttle at top end rev my engine will ping. I got Jason from T.I Performance to back the timing off and richen the mixer. Was a little better but still pinging. I then advanced the cam timing 2 deg. and took another 5 deg off the spark timing (dizzy). Car still goes hard. I haven't heard any pinging as yet. Still driving it. I have heard that it could be a worn/stretched chain aswell. My engine has 315,000kms and compression is spot on. Still going hard.
Let me Know what you find aswell. Hope this info helps you Bud.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I towed my ski boat the other day and had the car nice and warm and got it to ping in the mid range as it wouldn't ping before with no load. Obviously the extra load and heat generated induced the pinging so I pulled 2* out of the whole table on the j3 and the noise right up top has quieten down. Just funny how with no load it wouldn't ping but up top made the noise I suppose the significant pinging was more noticeable at lower rpm which made it sound different up top as it wouldn't ping below 5200rpm with no load :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]