Fordmods Logo

High temp damage? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: High temp damage?
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

My 4.0 EB2 thermo fans fitment and setup ar'nt effiecient enough with the way i have them setup up at the moment (too far away from rad and bloody broken $70 Davies Craig thermo switch copper line! so it has been causing my temp to rise right up to the end of the NORMAL range but no more....while sitting in traffic until i drive enough to get it back down which takes a few klms......What sort of damage will this be doing as it's still within 'Normal'??? What temp would it be up there'??? I've heard the 4.0 should run about 3rd of the lower range???

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

If its still in the normal section of the guage, then it'll be right, thats about 110dgs approx. So fix it quick before you run outa luck.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

The only thing you might find later down the track if it keeps getting fairly hot all the time is that you'll do the inevitable head gasket, and could crack the Heads. Happened on my old ED Fairmont. But that got red hot one day...

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Me Dad's got an EL V8, and whilst it is an 8, the head cracked. The temp was going up and down real fast, and the f**k just snapped. So yeah, you can leave it like that, but I wouldn't unless it was to drive to the shop and get that fixed mate.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:49 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

O.k thankx fellas....gotta fix it on weekend! Most of this prob is cause the Davies Craig copper line broke.....$70 fricken dollars for a switch and it breaks!!!

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Might be able to claim warranty on it?

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

part of the problem is the nicely engineered aluminium head & manifold bolted onto the antiquated chunky big block of cast iron they sit on.
the alloy sucks all the heat from the iron & whats des in the center of all that heat exchange ? the gasket. thats why au steel gaskets are more reliable.
copper is real soft, it breaks easy, when u pay $70 for a thermal switch (like i did) u have to be careful with it. one kink in that wire could mean you get increased resistance & the switch is suddenly reading 10' out.
either way heat isn't good. i'd throw the clutch fan back on before it blows up unless you can fix the thermo situation quick smart.
what are you using for a switch now ?

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]