Fordmods Logo

HM GEM Remanufactured Engines - AU 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: HM GEM Remanufactured Engines - AU
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Fairmont Wagon

VIC, Australia

Hey tribe. Looking for some good advice.

I heard some good things about Motafit, and gave them a call for a quote. They will replace the existing engine in my 99 Ford Fairmont AU with a "HM GEM Remanufactured" engine, and they offer a 12 month unlimited km warranty on it - which I thought was pretty good. Funny thing is, they refuse to do ANY performance upgrades - which I guess is to do with the HM GEM engine warranty. A bit of a pain in the a**, because I was hoping for an upgrade to VCT and maybe some cam work (plus intake and extractors).

So, what should I do? I have close to $4000 to spend on supply and fit of the engine. Is there a better/different option I could choose (Melbourne), that might give me a better performing engine than the (stock 157kw) remanufactured HM GEM? Or should I just stick with the Motafit stock replacement, and do some later performance work on that?

Can anyone out there supply and fit a higher performance option? Pretty much ready to get it done now! 8-)

Suggestions?

EDIT: Is it possible to upgrade the non-VCT to VCT? Would anybody do that commercially?

Post subject: Re: HM GEM Remanufactured Engines - AU
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el futura

QLD, Australia

mate i dont know whether there the same company now but back in the 70/80s gem engines were built by repco and i,ve never heard anything bad about them and i actually had one and never had a problem so they should be alright. if it was me i,d wait a few months or so and see how the engine is going and then do the performance updates ( you do get the odd dud in everything). doing the exhaust and inlet shouldn,t void your warranty. i can understand there way with performance mods because more than likerly there engines are built to a spec and they can turn these engines out everyday and there not setup spec and parts wise for hi-performance motors. dont take the first quote, shop around and see if you can get a better deal and maybe get the mods thrown in for what you can afford, remember you get what you pay for so don,t rush into it.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EBII, XR6

NSW, Australia

I've got a HM GEM rebuilt engine in my EB, only done about 6000kms and its going quite well...

Weekender: 07 BFII XR6T - Conquer
Retired: 1992 EBII SXR6 - Black Pearl

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

psinet wrote:
Hey tribe. Looking for some good advice.

So, what should I do? I have close to $4000 to spend on supply and fit of the engine. I

EDIT: Is it possible to upgrade the non-VCT to VCT? Would anybody do that commercially?

for that coin you should be able to get your engine reconditioned! with what you are after

OR get a low km b series engine, lock the cams in place and let the au ecu do it all! ( it wont run the dual vct )

only woth going vct if you can get the whole engine, also need the ecu as well i think?

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Shop around as for 4k you will defiantly get away with it if your good at negotiating...

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Advice for places to shop around (Melbourne)? The problem is that I can't do any of this particular job myself - whoever gets my coin has to be able to do the lot. We can't really afford to have it off the road for too long.

Motafit was mentioned - where else to take my $4k? I am happy enough to take it anywhere in Melbourne for the right job.

Recommendations? I was half hoping that some forum members might be in the trade themselves, with a shop ;)

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You should go with this engine...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-4-Ltr-S ... 7675.l2557

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Holy s**t - yeah I would go with that engine - if I had a way to install it......

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Because I don't have my own equipment (or the required experience), there is no point even looking at engines that I wished would magically jump into my car.

So far it seems like I have no more options than what I first thought, before posting - a Motafit HM GEM remanufactured, stock replacement. 12 month warranty - no frills allowed. Maybe they can then help me out with intake/exhaust without ruining the warranty.....

There really doesn't seem to be any other realistic options out there - unless you decide to do it all yourself, at home with a borrowed block and tackle. In that case MAYBE I could do it (not enough experience) - but the car would be off the road for many months! Something I just can't afford to do.

The supply and fit quote is $3250, plus ''extras'' - injector clean, fuel filter, coolant inhibitor, radiator flush etc - which can apparently approach $600 in worst case. Maybe for my 4k I can walk away with fitted extractors on top.

So yeah - looks like that is the only plan. Just procrastinating about spending the cash, now.

EDIT: Maybe I should update and post about what I end up doing. Pretty sure I can't be the only one who has been stuck in this position.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:19 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the worst part is for the price you could get another really nice au or even a ba...

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

This is Ford ''Mods'' site, yeah? I could get a motorbike even cheaper. 8-) :P But yeah I do recognise that - I do think it is worth it, if the car in question is something you want to keep for many years, and doesn't have a ''fatal'' flaw (ex-accident etc). I can't believe how cheap and easy it is to get parts for this thing.

Also - depends what you call ''nice''. I'd say 4k would get you a pretty bad wagon. A HM GM remanufactured engine should be at least close to as good as the original - which gave me 405,000kms! To replace the current car with a wagon, that had a comparable engine would be tough.

Except for paint and engine the car is pretty good.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:21 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i wasn't saying you should buy another car, just pointing out that for that money you could buy one...

we picked up my mrs au3 Fairmont with 190 000km for $3000
i brought my au ghia with 260 000km for $2000, but in saying that i myself have since spent 4000 on wheels mods and body kit..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]