Fordmods Logo

Hydraulic Lash Adjusters a.k.a. Lifters 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Hydraulic Lash Adjusters a.k.a. Lifters
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I've done some research and I'd like to share it. When you hear that tapping noise upon startup in your engine bay that goes away after a while.. it means your lifters aren't getting oil.

Cheap fixes that MAY help less severe tapping:
* Thicker Oil eg. 15W60
* Nulon Lifter Free Oil Additive <-- really good for lifters that are just clogged/dirty

When the tapping is continuous:
* New lifters ~$25 each (so around $300 for all 12)
* Lifter repair kit ~$30 for all 12

Now with the new lifters you're looking at about one hour of labour.
With the lifter repair kit you're looking at 3-4 hours of labour. Note that the lifter repair kit.. is well.. a lot of stuffing around.

Also note.. if you've got one lifter that taps continuously, fix ALL 12 lifters at the same time! Otherwise you'll be taking the rocker cover off after another month of so to fix another one hehehe

Last edited by AdamN on Tue May 02, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Are the lifter repair kits your talking about the black plastic rings that hold the lifters together? If so, you have to remember that these are not a functional part of the lifter (and if your tricky you dont need them anyway). To repair the lifters, you have to clean them out so they get enough oil inside and dont stick. So take them apart, soak them in carby cleaner or similar, oil them up well and put them back together and with any luck they wont be ticking any more :wink:

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Are the lifter repair kits your talking about the black plastic rings that hold the lifters together? If so, you have to remember that these are not a functional part of the lifter (and if your tricky you dont need them anyway). To repair the lifters, you have to clean them out so they get enough oil inside and dont stick. So take them apart, soak them in carby cleaner or similar, oil them up well and put them back together and with any luck they wont be ticking any more :wink:

That's right.. that's why if you don't get new lifters.. its a s**t load of labour and stuffing around.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I wouldnt say its a s**t load of labour/stuffing around. Ill spend an hour giving 24 lifters a bath if it save me $300.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

For the old 3.9 ones I think you can get hyrdolic lash adjust repair kits.
For the 4.0 ones I never seen/herd of them before and was very sure they were a non servicable replace only item. You can buy the replacement retainers - but this is far from being a repair kit!
As for running thicker oil, f**k no, it's not benificial for the rest of your engine at all! Often your lifters will start ticking when your oil is old too...
And I'm pretty sure lifters and HYLA are different, lifters are in the old push rod engines, HYLA's for the over head cams.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The 4.0 lifters are servicable in that you can fix them as long as there is not any physical damage. If the ticking is caused by a buildup of crap, you can clean them out and they will come good again.

And HLA's are the type of lifter used in the out OHC engines (so still a lifter, but more specifically a HLA).

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

SA, Australia

i remember doing a head on an 80s magna and i remember getting the lifters and if they physically looked ok e.g. no visual damage, then we would use a vice and clamp them all the way and all this old s**t oil would piss out. We would then dip them in oil and put them in. No tappet noise. will this work for the falcons

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

no, just take the clip off and open them up to clean out the old oil

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

and if ive put new lifters in and sometimes 1 lifter still makes noise for a few minutes any idea on that and its not all the time sometimes really quiet others it ticks and sounds like its missing a cylinder .

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yep you can fix them.. I got the kit.. it's just seals.. so I'm going to take everythign apart.. take the lifters out.. clean all the crap out of them well and proper.. change seal.. replace in engine..
perfecto

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:37 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

And new lifters are between $8.20 and $12.

The lower the price depends on how nice your are to your local parts guy. :D

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

AdamN wrote:
Yep you can fix them.. I got the kit.. it's just seals.. so I'm going to take everythign apart.. take the lifters out.. clean all the crap out of them well and proper.. change seal.. replace in engine..
perfecto

Explain to me how that is fixing them? You havn't actually opened them up or anything, so as I've said they are a non servicable item, all your doing is cleaning them and replacing the seal that holds them in, it's not a repair kit, it's just a packet of seals that hold them into the rocker arm.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The seal doesnt hold them into to the rocker arm, its a ring clip that holds the two outer parts together. If you take the old one out, the two parts of the lifter come apart and the spring will fall out. You can then clean insides out, make sure the sliding surfaces are not binding and there isnt any build of crap to stop oil, put them back together with new clips, and chances are they wont tick anymore.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
The seal doesnt hold them into to the rocker arm, its a ring clip that holds the two outer parts together. If you take the old one out, the two parts of the lifter come apart and the spring will fall out. You can then clean insides out, make sure the sliding surfaces are not binding and there isnt any build of crap to stop oil, put them back together with new clips, and chances are they wont tick anymore.

Thats right.. there's a plastic clip and a rubber seal.. both are changeable. Yes the lifter will come apart without the plastic clip thing. Sorry I'm so with the technical names of things... I'm more the take it apart and fix it myself type. For $65/hour labour at any mechanic.. I'll always do it myself.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

or it could be spelled hydraulic!!

and even though people say lifters, we all know what they are talking about.

sorry. bored and in a nit picky mood :)

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next