Fordmods Logo

Idea I'm trying. 12v timers for idle (ISC) and fuel pump. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Idea I'm trying. 12v timers for idle (ISC) and fuel pump.
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

I just picked up two of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110820998386

12 volt delay timers... less than 15 bucks for the two.

My plans are to use one to trigger a relay connected to the Idle Speed Controller.
Since my car is a manual with a Ghia Auto computer (cos I like the speed sensitive steering) I have some bad idle habits like slow idle down with the ISC connected.

Because my car is on LPG and I like a good lowish idle.. I need the ISC connected for a couple of minutes after a cold start, but after that I don't want or need it.

So with one of these timers, I can have the ISC cease function after a minute or two. Later on I might go further and put a thermistor in-line and have it not come on at all if it temp is up. (or pick up from the thermo's or something to achieve the same result)..

The other thing I want to do is stop my Walbro 255ltr/hr pump from wearing itself out pumping fuel around and around when the injectors are turned off anyway. I suppose a better way would be to find the relay cutting off the injectors and using it to trigger a relay to cut off the fuel pump too.. but I suspect that relay is inside the gas module. With the delay timer.. I can have the fuel pump stop after a couple of minutes running, but only if the LPG is on. Thereby stoping my fuel pump from wasted wear and tear and also saving some current wastage.

Can anyone think of some any downsides to this that I have not thought of?

I have a week of work and plan to put several of my car based ideas into effect if I have time. (although not this one as I only just bought the timers.)

opinions valued as always.

regards

Frank

Post subject: Re: Idea I'm trying. 12v timers for idle (ISC) and fuel pump.
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

What is wrong with how Ford made it ? It works and parts come out of a box. When you start to mod things, it doesnt end. Change one thing and you have another problem.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Hi Frankieh - Good idea, of course you should modify your Ford. Hell, why not? Someone even might make a website about modding your Ford. We called call it Fordmods maybe? Hell, that's a great idea. Hope no one else has thought of it and beaten me to it, I could sell advertising and make millions out of all these rich people modifying their 90's Falcons.
:lol:
There is a good chance of doing some great marketing for the site...

Anyway, seriously. Good idea. My idea (still have not done it) is to put a REV SWITCH on the thing.

Turn on the ISC below 1000 RPM. Turn off ISC above 1000rpm.

Last edited by fiend on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1991 eb1 fairmont

QLD, Australia

every gas conversion i have had cuts the fuel pump when on lpg.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Hmmm. Another ideal use for these "timer relays" would be post33819.html?hilit=air%20bag%20light%20staying%20on#p33819

(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

What is wrong with how Ford made it ? It works and parts come out of a box. When you start to mod things, it doesnt end. Change one thing and you have another problem.

Regards 96ELGli

Bit late to worry bout that for me.. not much on my car that's the way ford intended anymore. And I consider it a good thing.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

fiend wrote:
Hi Frankieh - Good idea, of course you should modify your Ford. Hell, why not? Someone even might make a website about modding your Ford. We called call it Fordmods maybe? Hell, that's a great idea. Hope no one else has thought of it and beaten me to it, I could sell advertising and make millions out of all these rich people modifying their 90's Falcons.
:lol:
There is a good chance of doing some great marketing for the site...

Anyway, seriously. Good idea. My idea (still have not done it) is to put a REV SWITCH on the thing.

Turn on the ISC below 1000 RPM. Turn off ISC above 1000rpm.

I know you wrote something Mr fiend, I can see the squiggles out of the corner of my eye. Every time I go to read it my eyes don't quiet make it......

Your on and off above and below switch may end up giving you a rev hunt considering what the ISC is for. :-)

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

God d@mn I love underb00b!!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:01 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

Regards 96ELGli

its called fordmods. :wink:

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

I think you may have taken what I said in the literal way. In a Gas car the fuel pump is meant to cycle to stop the fuel system from gumming up. If the computer cant see a change from the idle speed it may log an error code or go into limp mode. Changing one thing can often affect others, which is why I like the idea of using parts from the same model range, as they should all work together. Cars are a compromise of cost, performance and fuel economy. When you change one thing it will often show up elsewhere.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

There is no reason to turn the fuel pump off when running on LPG.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

No? I would have thought that having it running and keeping pressure up in the fuel rail is both wearing out my walbro pump needlessly and to no benefit and a waste of at least a couple of amps of current.

I agree that having it off or on makes no difference to the running of the vehicle on LPG though.

I had this thought because I had to put my walbro pump in a couple of months ago because my old one died.. and I wondered at the time how it died when I only used it for a couple of minutes a day.. then I remembered that it ran all the time pumping fuel under pressure through a loop back to the fuel tank...

It certainly can't hurt to turn it off a couple of minutes after starting on LPG if it isn't doing anything functional anyway.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Do you keep the tank full ? The pump will last longer when the tank is full. When the ISC is not working, how about the loading from the Air con and other things that will load the engine. Will that cause stalling ?

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hi 96ELGLi

I usually keep the petrol take about 1/2 to 3/4 full of 98 premium usually with an injector cleaner in it.

I have do use premium because my car is tuned to LPG and pings like crazy on standard. The injector cleaner is there to stop the injectors clogging up with lack of use.

fuel filter is less than a year old..

but the fuel pump look like diaphram pumps which do wear out with use, so not using it seems like a good idea if it isn't needed for anything.

As for the load of air con and stuff like that.. it causes issues when the engine is cold.. but is hardly noticable when it's warm.. which is why I want to do this.. :-)

If it wasn't for the fact that Ghia's never came out with a manual gearbox and therefore there is no such thing as a manual ECU with speed sensitive steering... I'd just get a chip and put the manual tune on it and leave the ISC connected... sadly there is no way I know if yet that I Can run a manual tune and keep my speed sensitive steering.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

frankieh wrote:
No? I would have thought that having it running and keeping pressure up in the fuel rail is both wearing out my walbro pump needlessly and to no benefit and a waste of at least a couple of amps of current.

I agree that having it off or on makes no difference to the running of the vehicle on LPG though.

I had this thought because I had to put my walbro pump in a couple of months ago because my old one died.. and I wondered at the time how it died when I only used it for a couple of minutes a day.. then I remembered that it ran all the time pumping fuel under pressure through a loop back to the fuel tank...

It certainly can't hurt to turn it off a couple of minutes after starting on LPG if it isn't doing anything functional anyway.

We find they fail faster if you turn them off and only use them every now and then.
Seriously, most pumps of petrol only cars will easily run well over 200 000km.
It's just not worth the extra time and adding in the extra point of failure in the power supply system.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next