Idle Issue on a Series 2 AU Falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Idle Issue on a Series 2 AU Falcon
Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Series 2 AU Ford Falcon

WA, Australia

Gents.

Having an issue with high revs whilst idling, it up just over 1000. Not sure what to do with it and cant seem to pin down what it is. Also whilst stopped at lights and so forth I am having this issue, its all the time. I have tried remedying it by leaving the car running in park for 1 minute and then under load ( lights and aircon) for another minute, then I tried the previous mentioned with the car in drive and being held by the handbrake and it just made matters worse, now up 1500 rpms. I disconnected the ISC switch and no change. Not sure what to do from here.

Would appreciate some help if someone has overcome the same issue as this. 215.000 Ks on the ODO.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Idle Issue on a Series 2 AU Falcon
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

If it's revving up to 1500 rpm with the ISC disconnected, it is getting air from somewhere else: either the base idle has been adjusted too high, or you have a vacuum leak - probably the latter. You can often find a leak by spraying brake cleaner spray liberally and slowly (while the engine is running) along all the vacuum lines and along every gasket and join between the throttle body and the head, including around the ISC itself and around every injector where it enters the manifold. A leak will suck in the brake cleaner and cause the revs to rise.

Any other symptoms? Black smoke? Braking issues? The rubber diaphragm in the brake booster can fail, causing air to enter the intake manifold from under the dash (though AU2 onward have better boosters so are less prone to that).

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: Idle Issue on a Series 2 AU Falcon
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Series 2 AU Ford Falcon

WA, Australia

Nah. Thats only symptom. Other than that the car runs fine. I think you might be right about air getting in somewhere. I was driving around before and the revs returned to normal and the next time I took it out it rev'd high again. The air problem seems to fit I think, i'll try the brake cleaner spray tonight and see what come up. Cheers for the tip. I let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]