Ignition system Coil pack Vs Dizzy 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Ignition system Coil pack Vs Dizzy
Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Turbo VT, VL Calais Trubo, HQ SS

VIC, Australia

Hi Fellas,

As some of you may know I am in the process of getting a full forged bottom end being built with a snort twin turbo set up for my EL falcon 6. Things started off as a basic build but as you all know it does not take long before things spiral out of control.
Along with the engine the rest of the driveline will also be getting overhauled shortly. I am expecting the car to make around 5-600rwk.
I am using a AU engine for the rebuild and I already have a ice ignition system, but I wanted to know other people thoughts around what would be the best option?
Should I stick with the ice ingition system or go for coil packs as its only minimal work involved to switch over.
I am running a Wolf V550 ecu also.

Thanks in advance fellas

Post subject: Re: Ignition system Coil pack Vs Dizzy
Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

its just a matter of a few wires to change the configuration and a hardware swap,you have the Superior computer to do it,what are you waiting for?,just click the drop down in the software and your off and running and tuning

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I am aware I am running a great ECU. But I just wanted to know peoples thoughts on the ignition system. What are other people running who are making this kind of power?

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Can't help you with what gives the better spark... But If you run a coil pack or even coil on plug (old mate with the individual throttle bodies thread was trying it I think) then you can use the crank pick up and cam pick up to run the ignition and run the std AU blanking thingo in the dizzy hole for reliability and no dodgy distributor gears can ever cause issues to your AUX shaft... Best part about running my AU motor now is there is nothing there that can play up...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Can't help you with what gives the better spark... But If you run a coil pack or even coil on plug (old mate with the individual throttle bodies thread was trying it I think) then you can use the crank pick up and cam pick up to run the ignition and run the std AU blanking thingo in the dizzy hole for reliability and no dodgy distributor gears can ever cause issues to your AUX shaft... Best part about running my AU motor now is there is nothing there that can play up...

Cheers,
Tim

Yes i am getting similar views from others also. I have been told by others to go with the coil set up as it will give better spark and less room for error.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Or if you read what dsyfer did in this...

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/i6-individual-throttle-bodies-project-t87803-255.html

You may be able to get individual sparks... Sure he run into troubles but... Can't remember now... But it's there for your leisurely reading...

In saying that a drag car runs a dizzy but the full magneto type... They would have spark like no other... Probably as dear as s**t too... And probably not made to suit an E series block...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the help bud! I shall have a read! I dont mind paying the extra dollars as long as it fits and does the job really!

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah no worries... That about all I know... Snort should have a fair idea what will work being around it all the time... Maybe std coil on plugs or coil packs don't have enough zap... Maybe get and MSD coil pack? They make them direct fit for the windsor V8's... And the VT V6 commodores too I think... Maybe get some MSD ones of those and use that for a coil pack? Plently of higher output options if you stay away from a dizzy...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah Geoff has been great and very helpful and gone above and beyond on many occasions to help sort things out!
At this stage I am leaning more towards the coilpack idea. Afterall there is a reason why all car manufactures have gone down this path with all the new cars!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]