in the morninig smoke smoke smoke 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: in the morninig smoke smoke smoke
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:50 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

hi ya all
in the moning start the car and fill my street with smoke
its not blue smells like fuel i have no power loss .its a eb series 2 93 what the hell is going on ive just had a major service done ,new brakes,new tyres,new fuses,new oil fillter,air filter,new plugs,new leads,new oil filter,i have no tappit noise,a small oil leak just this smoke has me really ticked as i cannot work it out its like there is water burning off in the exuste system also ive had the exuste system relpaced as well :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :?: :?: :?:

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That's exactally what it is. Water!!

One of the by-products of teh combustion process is water. On a cold morning, with a cold exhaust and a cold engine, the amount of water vapour in teh exhaust gas is higher than when warm, and as soon as this hits the cold air, it turns to water!

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Sounds like maybe you have either a cracked Head or a blown head gasket with that much smoke etc :shock:

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

if your not using water (coolant) unclewoja wins :)
However if you are using water, 1 SLY 97EL gets the prize.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I had a situation where, on first startup of the day my engine would chuff out heaps of smoke after about 30 - 40 seconds - this would vary from a few whisps to s**t and would last from 10 - 20 seconds. The smoke was paler than you'd expect from oilsmoke but similar colour and seemed to dissipate like vapour - I was very worried it was coolant leak and was also thinking it might be valve guide seal.

It turned out to be my number 3 plug lead. I pulled the plugs and found number 3 plug looked "dirty" compared to nice clean plugs in other cylinders - thought "aha! - that's the cylinder with leaking valve guide or leaking head gasket" - then coincidentally I changed the plug leads as they were due for replacement and BINGO - problem gone!

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
I had a situation where, on first startup of the day my engine would chuff out heaps of smoke after about 30 - 40 seconds - this would vary from a few whisps to s**t and would last from 10 - 20 seconds. The smoke was paler than you'd expect from oilsmoke but similar colour and seemed to dissipate like vapour - I was very worried it was coolant leak and was also thinking it might be valve guide seal.

It turned out to be my number 3 plug lead. I pulled the plugs and found number 3 plug looked "dirty" compared to nice clean plugs in other cylinders - thought "aha! - that's the cylinder with leaking valve guide or leaking head gasket" - then coincidentally I changed the plug leads as they were due for replacement and BINGO - problem gone!

So what you were seeing was unburnt fuel, which would be black or dark grey smoke.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

No - it was very pale blue almost white smoke - it was definitely primarily oil smoke with a lot of vapour - LIKE I SAID: this led me to fear the worst but it turned out to merely be a dud plug lead. I'm an aircraft engineer by trade - I know what oil smoke/fuel smoke looks like.

Simply offered my experience in case it was relevant as I noted that the description of the original problem was similar (tho he's getting fuel smell I didn't have) and he'd just had his plugs and leads done - mine were actually fairly new - I did say that they were due for replacement but in fact they were fairly new Top Gun (POS!!!) leads that the ends kept pulling off - so I got a set of Bosch (you beauty - good gear!) leads.

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Blue smoke-oil burning-dead plug lead, am I missing something here? that doesn't add up.

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

madmax wrote:
Blue smoke-oil burning-dead plug lead, am I missing something here? that doesn't add up.

Yeah I am not sure whats the story with that logic either :?

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I agree entirely - it's quite odd - but nontheless appears to have been the cause of MY cold start smoke issue - WHICH IS EXACTLY WHY I GO TO THE TROUBLE OF OFFERING IT AS A POSSIBILITY FOR THIS SYMPTOM (ie. blue smoke when engine cold) - I was about to do my valve guides and then pull the head if that didn't work - but a $2 plug lead fixed it!!!!.

All I'm saying is my symptom was exactly as I described it - blue smoke (tho not as dense as you'd expect from an oil burning issue + with lots of vapour in it) from about 30 seconds after cold start - lasting from 10-20 seconds in varying amount from not much one day to HEAPS the next. This was coupled with no. 3 plug being noticeably dirtier than the rest.

I replaced the plug leads for an unassociated reason and BINGO - no more smoke!!! Plus of course no more dirty no. 3 plug.

What logic problem?? - evidently the cylinder isn't firing (or at least it's very weak) - so oil is gonna get washed thru / blown thru to the extractors - maybe my valve guide seal on that cylinder leaks a bit thru overnight - varying with exactly where the valve has stopped on the previous evening's final shutdown. The large anount of vapour is likewise evidently because of the cool running cylinder.

The lead must have been firing to some degree (once the engine warmed up at least) because there was no rough running or noticeable power loss either.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]