Fordmods Logo

increasing compression on NA6 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: increasing compression on NA6
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

not sure either, i think he means his ignition and fuel curves?

If that is the case then for us it was around 22% more fuel for part throttle openings and round 40% wide open throttle. (stoich was 9.76)
Used 22 degrees advance all up @ 6500 (stock motor).. got a 12% increase in power on the dyno.
Dont know why people want to immediatley jump for after market engine management systems. The one on the BA for instance is incredible.
Edit: E85 is affected by the weather, get it tuned in the summer and it'll be ok for winter. yes,would the ef ecu be able to cope with fuel and spark maps,might even max the injectors out with the extra volume,any ideas?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

if you got a j3 chip you can change all that, and fit bigger injectors,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
if you got a j3 chip you can change all that, and fit bigger injectors,

hmmm,may need one if the new heads work too,well.will have to look at the parameters of the chip.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

SA, Australia

im not sure the older Folds can deal with the corrosive qualities of E85, i know the original posters car is BA and theyre ok.

South Australia.. Heaps good.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

chris sieclay wrote:
im not sure the older Folds can deal with the corrosive qualities of E85, i know the original posters car is BA and theyre ok.

steel lines in older cars,are they using plastic\nylon lines in the BA?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:50 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

they were still using steel lines up to au, not sure about b series though..

i know a couple of e series running e85 on the std fuel lines without issues yet..
i did a trial run of e85 in my car. and after adding around 40% more fuel all round i come to the conclusion that the power benefit is definatly there but still cost more to run the car on e85 then premium 98.
not worth it for a car that gets driven daily..

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
they were still using steel lines up to au, not sure about b series though..

i know a couple of e series running e85 on the std fuel lines without issues yet..
i did a trial run of e85 in my car. and after adding around 40% more fuel all round i come to the conclusion that the power benefit is definatly there but still cost more to run the car on e85 then premium 98.
not worth it for a car that gets driven daily..

thats worth knowing,thanks TROYMAN :D :D

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ive seen a skyline engine pulled down after it had ran on e 85 (car was used purely for racing) and it had a heap of black gunk in the sump after it had been drained and the owner said it could have been from running e85?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
chris sieclay wrote:

I dont actually know exactly what kind of material they are using on the BA. i do know that Ford themselves have stated that any of their vehicles manufactured before 1997 wont do it.. not even E10.
Basically if you own an EF Series 2 Ford Falcon (1996 model), you may be putting your vehicle at risk.
Its not just the fuel lines either, its any component that the fuel comes in contact with that isnt designed for it.
Well thats what they reckon.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i dont think fuel pumps like it, mine f**k up but i put a new pump in and its been fine ever since, bio deisel is really bad for injector pumps on older nissan patrols, ive seen a couple pack it in shortly after the owners start running bio desiel

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

chris sieclay wrote:
hans hartman wrote:
chris sieclay wrote:

I dont actually know exactly what kind of material they are using on the BA. i do know that Ford themselves have stated that any of their vehicles manufactured before 1997 wont do it.. not even E10.
Basically if you own an EF Series 2 Ford Falcon (1996 model), you may be putting your vehicle at risk.
Its not just the fuel lines either, its any component that the fuel comes in contact with that isnt designed for it.
Well thats what they reckon.

I think i read it somewhere-on a by note-lawn mowers and 2 stroke portables with E10 or higher.ithink i will stay clear of the E85,i travel to far.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
i dont think fuel pumps like it, mine f**k up but i put a new pump in and its been fine ever since, bio deisel is really bad for injector pumps on older nissan patrols, ive seen a couple pack it in shortly after the owners start running bio desiel

True.. had to get a fuel pump designed for methanol

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:40 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
ive seen a skyline engine pulled down after it had ran on e 85 (car was used purely for racing) and it had a heap of black gunk in the sump after it had been drained and the owner said it could have been from running e85?

i would doubt it, e85 is an extremely clean fuel, people blame ethinol for fuel pump failures, blocked injectors ect, but they probably dont realise that the e85 will clean your fuel system better than anything, the issues are from the ethinol dislodging all the crap and build up from many years of dirty fosel fuels..

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
bry40l wrote:

i would doubt it, e85 is an extremely clean fuel, people blame ethinol for fuel pump failures, blocked injectors ect, but they probably dont realise that the e85 will clean your fuel system better than anything, the issues are from the ethinol dislodging all the crap and build up from many years of dirty fosel fuels..

just guessing, but it could have been serious blowby on a thrashed motor??

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

Quote:

perfectly spot on, couldn't have said it better!!! ethanol is a type alcohol and everyone knows that alcohol cleans things!

as for running E85 the biggest issue i can see is your not always filling up with E85 unlike your premium fuels it is not a reliable mix, one week you might have E70 the next E85. this is obviously gonna cause issues when the compression is bumped up and the car is re-flashed to handle it. unless someone has designed a fuel sensor that can read the concentration of ethanol in the fuel and adjust the engine for it (like a bf-fg fuel sensor)

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next