Fordmods Logo

Increasing Fuel Economy 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Increasing Fuel Economy
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB S1 3.9L Bush basher

WA, Australia

G'day, My 1994 Fairmont ED is really chewing the juice, any suggestions to increase fuel ecconomy would be great. Cheers, Will

I dont care how fast your car is, mine goes faster through the bush.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

What does it get from a tank? Make sure it is tuned and things like plugs, leads, air and fuel filters are new. Vacuum leaks especially on the MAP sensor can cause increased fuel usage. Also worth trying a new O2 sensor.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

a decent set of extractors (most on here run pacemaker) and a free flowing exhaust (2.5inch) will generally increase economy as the motor works a bit easier and comes with the added bonus of power increase as well.
change diff to a 2.7.
convert to gas.
keep it serviced and tuned.
keep tyre pressures correct.
drive smoothly. look ahead and anticipate the traffic.

just a few suggestions.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

your right foot?

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

why would u run a 2.7 diff?

that will only give u better economy when on the freeway because it makes the engine run at lower revs.

But in the city, it uses more fuel as its makes the engine work harder to move the car.

so it only depends on whether u more of a city or country traveler.

doing it in reverse with a fwd is like being fuked by a fat man and saying "well he has tits so i'm not gay"

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

oh so the dif ratio only affects top gear? you idiot. the revs will be lower accross the range and the motor is not going to struggle. i had a 2.7 dif in a xf 5sp and that could handle 5th from 55kph. xf had 121kw vs ed 145kw. it wont struggle but it will save fuel as the engine is not working as hard. potting around at 60 it should be sitting on about 1000rpm.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

injection service and clean valves up, new oxy sensor reset adaptions after that

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i blew my 3.23 diff and got a 2.7 from the wreckers just to get back on the road and i cant notice any fuel economy change,revs lower but same fuel usage

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Post subject: oxygen sensors
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

how much does one cost, how does it work, is it easy to fit? etc...

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

was pretty cheap cant remember how much exactly,few hundred easy to fit if ya know what ya doin

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:05 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

prydey wrote:
oh so the dif ratio only affects top gear? you idiot. the revs will be lower accross the range and the motor is not going to struggle. i had a 2.7 dif in a xf 5sp and that could handle 5th from 55kph. xf had 121kw vs ed 145kw. it wont struggle but it will save fuel as the engine is not working as hard. potting around at 60 it should be sitting on about 1000rpm.

'prydey' have some self control ...

i never said anything about 2.7 diff gear only affects the top gear.

i hope u realise that using something like a 3.45 diff will give your greater accleration?

now i also hope you realise that fuel is the energy source for accelerating your car. It is when the car is accelerating, that the engine uses the most fuel. When the car is not accelerating, it is using much much less fuel.

Hence, the reason why if you use a higher diff ratio (e.g. 3.45), you can potentially increase you fuel economy. By making it easier for the car to accelerate, the car spends less time accelerating making it use less fuel during this acceleration period.

However, the give away is it forces the engine to operate at a higher RPM when at constant speed. Therefore at a constant speed (e.g. at 100km on the freeway) for an extended period of time, the 3.45 give a poorer fuel economy than a 2.77.

That is the reason y, if you are a freeway traveller, its better to stick to a lower ratio diff. But, it you are city traveller, where the car is always accelerating, than a lower ratio is better.

I dont know how a xf 5 speed will feel, but in an EA factory 5 speed, the 5 gear is designed for cruising. 5 gear at 100km is about 1900 RPM. Acclerating in 5th at 60km is just asking the engine way too much. The engine shudders and you will eventually be left will a blown engine.

'prydey', please go and do some proper research. it is only something very basic ....

doing it in reverse with a fwd is like being fuked by a fat man and saying "well he has tits so i'm not gay"

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

do you even listen to yourself . a taller dif will be more economical. since when are you accelerating all the time when driving around town. the car in question is a ed fairmont. i'm assuming auto. this means that when you put your foot down it AUTOMATICALLY changes up or down gears in the gearbox. an engine turning over at 1500rpm is using less fuel than one turning over at 1650rpm.

you are prolly one of these people who never use fifth until you hit the open road. i regularly use fifth round town. i can be in 5th from as low as 45kph and the engine is not labouring although i do have 3.45 in mine. i would not attempt to accelerate up a rise at that speed in fifth though but if i'm cruising along at 60 and traffic slows to 45 - 50 and picks up again i wont change gears. i don't slam my foot down on the gas either as i realise 5th gear is not for accelerating.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

settle down girls....
*Make sure your air pressure is right
*take any extra weight outa your car that isnt nessescery..
*make sure your engine is tuned properly..
*dont leave roof racks on the car..
*dont accelerate unnesescerily between short stops..
*coast to traffic lights instead of heavy gas then heavy brake..
*drive sensibly...

*my 2c worth.. :wink:

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks for all the help guys but um can someone tell me which diff ratio is better and yes it is an auto.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

prydey wrote:
do you even listen to yourself . a taller dif will be more economical. since when are you accelerating all the time when driving around town. the car in question is a ed fairmont. i'm assuming auto. this means that when you put your foot down it AUTOMATICALLY changes up or down gears in the gearbox. an engine turning over at 1500rpm is using less fuel than one turning over at 1650rpm.

you are prolly one of these people who never use fifth until you hit the open road. i regularly use fifth round town. i can be in 5th from as low as 45kph and the engine is not labouring although i do have 3.45 in mine. i would not attempt to accelerate up a rise at that speed in fifth though but if i'm cruising along at 60 and traffic slows to 45 - 50 and picks up again i wont change gears. i don't slam my foot down on the gas either as i realise 5th gear is not for accelerating.

In general yes. The slower the engine is running, the better the fuel economy. BUT. There's always a but. It also depends on the cam that's in the engine. The engine is most efficiently filling the cylinders @ peak torque. As soon as you move away from peak torque, the engine becomes less efficient.

So, if you run the engine slower, you're reducing the internal friction, since the engine's running slower you need a larger throttle opening to get the same air in and hence you use less fuel. But since you're running the engine further away from peak torque, the engine's volumetric efficiency, and hence fuel efficiency is becoming less.

And before you say "Duuuuh. So if I run my engine @ peak torque, I'll get the best fuel efficiency" No. Not neccesarily. The closer you run to peak torque, the less effort the engine has to exert to fill its cylinders up with air, however, if running @ peak torque also means running the engine faster, then the increase in internal friction and other factors may end up using more fuel than you save.

This can be seen with engines with a hot cam in them where they might give better fuel economy with the engine cruising @ 2800 RPM than they do with the engine cruising @ 1800 RPM.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next