Fordmods Logo

intech series 2 motor to xr 6 hp spec 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: intech series 2 motor to xr 6 hp spec
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford fairmont au series 2

VIC, Australia

I would first like to put this dislaimer that i am not a mechanic nor am i an expert on the ford au xr6 but after a lot of research i am putting my own experiences in a post for others to possibly benefit from.
First of all i have a standard au i6 intech motor in a series 2 fairmont with a BA intake k& n panel filter 2 1/2 inch lukey exhaust with redback rear muffler and pacey 4499 extractors.This motor has 100,000 klms on it.Also had chris and theo at Bluepower do a performance service.
What i was attempting to do was turn my motor into a series 2 xr6 hp motor.
I bought a s2 xr6 cam new from ford and had it installed today.
I will put in point form things that i have read vs my personal experience.
1. according to bosch the fuel regulator for the xr6 hp motor is the same as the standard motor only the vct has the 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator.So the intech and the xr6 hp both run 270 kpa regs.
2. I fitted the 3.5 bar reg to my car before the cam went in.When i picked the car up it was running rough and the car almost stalled stopping at the lights.
3. I came home and put the 270 kpa reg back in and took the car for a drive.
No stalling at the lights,lot smoother idle and the car has a substantial increase in throttle response and bum-o-meter klw ( this is an expression i picked up from someone else here )
In short i am very impressed.
4. The ecu has not been catch coded to xr6 spec and is still standard and runs just fine.
5.One thing i have read is that you need a different fuel rail for the 3.5 bar reg but it went in without a problem in my standard intech rail, Ford also agreed this would be the case.
So in short my experience has been just the xr6 cam no ecu change and no fuel reg change cost me $ 195 for cam and $ 125 for dealership to fit ( i didnt have the time to do it myself ) has given me a VERY substantial increase in both throttle response and power.
I already had the
Car has 100,000 klms on it as well
Again this post is my personal experience only.But i am impressed with this relatively cheap mod
Hope this helps someone who wants to do the same. :D

Last edited by fairmont65 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: intech series 2 motor to xr 6 hp spec
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

UPDATE
I found out according to Bosch ,whoever he was ,is wrong Papa Smurf says AU xr6 hp and vct both had 3.5 bar fuel regs.
Also decided to go for chip tune as i am still not happy with idle.To eratic.
One thing will not change on this post as i update it will be the fact that the standard fuel ( 270 kpa and the 3.5 bar reg both fit into the standard rail ( i have fitted it without a problem goes straight in ) so it must just be the fuel reg cam and ecu to have xr6 hp spec intech motor.
Have decided to go chip and tune from Brendan mock to blend it all together.
Will take 3.5 bar reg just in case.
Will update this in 2 weeks for those that may be interested.
Also have found xr 6 hp ecu has no traction control as xr 6 hp cars do not appear to have traction control.
Apparently xr 6 hp series 2 auto catch code is 12VC

Last edited by fairmont65 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:24 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

imo, if you going to get a chip and tune, better off getting a wade regrind cam. the regrind with the tune will far out perform the xr6 cam and will still idle like stock..

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yeah thanks troyman but am happy with the way the car performs now its just the idle thats the problem.
At 46 and a dad i just want something thats not embarrassing to drive not really after huge performance just want something that's a bit fun.
This car will never see the track or really be used for street drags
Have seen plenty of fpv and hsv go down the straight hard past my place but its really not much more than a quick squirt and you have to back off again.
Ive had my days with the big toys i used to have a worked 350 in a monaro , a very nice 302 xw Fairmont, a worked 308 sle vh dunny door as well as a mild 327 hq wagon.
More recently i drove an fg xr6 and found that was really all the acceleration for the street i need these days ,although you always love more performance ( the turbo one ) i love my licence even more.
I know none of what i said is directly related to your comment on the wade cam but i think you will know what mean

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:45 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yep. i understand.. i only mentioned the regrind cam because bang for buck a regrind cam by itself would give you more...
but as you have already brought the xr6 cam i guess it dont matter...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]