Fordmods Logo

Intermittent noise in motor - EA2 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Intermittent noise in motor - EA2
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:14 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2009 FG Falcon G6E Sedan

SA, Australia

I have been getting an intermittent noise lately that sounds like a liquid percolating.

1st time when I started the car from cold, my friends noticed it and we thought little of at the time as it had disappeared by the time I had driven home - about 2km.

2nd time when I had just come home after trailering about 15km round trip

3rd & last time after I had been to chemist, a 4km round trip, and noticed when I pulled up at home.

The last two times I managed to check the motor while the sound was still there.

I have sound checked all over the engine, trans, power steering and aircon with no joy.

It seems to be coming from everywhere and is loud enough to be heard away from the car at idle. Yet, when I check with elther a screwdriver or long bar against the various parts of the motor while it is running the only sound I get from the "stethoscope" is a clean smooth running motor.

The car is driving well and very smoothly since I replaced the cam, and is well within correct ranges on the gauges.
Engine age is around 280,000km and is on LPG. It is only this noise that is worrying me, mainly because I cannot locate it and it appears when I least expect it - three times so far over the last two weeks.

Any ideas please? This is seriously driving me nuts :-)

Regards, Robert

..... Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I have never been able to make out the numbers.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

might be high end bearings?

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

alfy wrote:
might be high end bearings?

Where are they? If you mean the cam bearings, they're only half-cup plain metal bearings on this (3.9)

Regards, Robert

..... Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I have never been able to make out the numbers.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB Series II

TAS, Australia

this may not be it and i may be wrong but my mum had a similar noise coming from her xf. We couldn't find the noise any where. when it was time for the gas to be serviced there was a small leak. we didn't notice it because the fan was moving the gas fumes away from us. as i said this may not be the same thing but it would pay to check your lines and tank.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

im not sure where they are, but when they are worn out you get bearing knock which sounds like someone knocking on a heavy wooden door and you can hear it from outside the car.

if they arent replaced, over time you could put a flat spot in your crankshaft.

do an oil change and an oil filter change, wait for the old filter to cool down then cut it open. if there are small shards of metal in it, that means the bearings are rooted, and you pretty much have to take the whole motor apart to get to them.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:28 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

I think I need to explain the noise I heard.

Has anybody heard of the oil or coolant percolating through a small channel after being superheated against a hot spot in the motor, and if so, how to check for it and then fix it?

If you have ever had a coffee percolator, this sound was the same as that when the liquid is being pushed up the tube as it boils in small amounts against the hot plate under the bell at the bottom of the tube and then up through the tube against the little glass cap in the top of the pot.

A sort of hard sucking noise with gaps, i.e. "phut -phut - phut" but stattico and not hard like an engine bearing.
Kind of like a long ripper f@rt, but the bassy type, you can hear it is sort of liquid and when someone does one you wait for them to go change their pants.

Besides I have checked the bearing noises and they are all fine. This noise is not a knock or ball being pulled through a bearing like in the mains when they go and is definitely not the bearings in the cam rocker rollers as I have manually checked them.
Also oil pressure is OK and so is the coolant temperature. Same goes for the trans fluid ..

Just had a thought, could this be from the air conditioner liquid gas lines? Perhaps a problem in the TX valve? Maybe from low gas charge?

Thanks so far and any other thoughts appreciated :-)

Regards, Robert

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:20 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

WA, Australia

golding wrote:
I think I need to explain the noise I heard.

Has anybody heard of the oil or coolant percolating through a small channel after being superheated against a hot spot in the motor, and if so, how to check for it and then fix it?

If you have ever had a coffee percolator, this sound was the same as that when the liquid is being pushed up the tube as it boils in small amounts against the hot plate under the bell at the bottom of the tube and then up through the tube against the little glass cap in the top of the pot.

A sort of hard sucking noise with gaps, i.e. "phut -phut - phut" but stattico and not hard like an engine bearing.
Kind of like a long ripper f@rt, but the bassy type, you can hear it is sort of liquid and when someone does one you wait for them to go change their pants.

Besides I have checked the bearing noises and they are all fine. This noise is not a knock or ball being pulled through a bearing like in the mains when they go and is definitely not the bearings in the cam rocker rollers as I have manually checked them.
Also oil pressure is OK and so is the coolant temperature. Same goes for the trans fluid ..

Just had a thought, could this be from the air conditioner liquid gas lines? Perhaps a problem in the TX valve? Maybe from low gas charge?

Thanks so far and any other thoughts appreciated :-)

I've had that noise(or similar) in my XH I6. My sound is a bit like water going down the plug hole. I reckon at times it sounds like oil being splashed around in the sump by the rotating crankshaft. I've done about 50,000 clicks since i first noticed it so just ignored it.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EA Fairmont

New Zealand

Have you checked your oil level?

I caught you a delicious bass

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

i get that noise from my fridge when condensation is at max... i'd say air con.

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:57 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Thanks people.

I've settled on it probably being the aircon as well, however, I haven't had the noise since the day before I posted.

I'll see what happens in the mean time.

Regards, Robert

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

BTW, found the problem, was a water leak in the head gasket at #6 cylinder.

Bought a new head gasket and all is fixed and noise gone completely. :-)

Regards, Robert

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]