Fordmods Logo

Is this this the right head gasket for EL 6cyl 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Is this this the right head gasket for EL 6cyl
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi everyone

I am about to replace the head gasket on my EL 6cyl (1998) and have been reading threads on the forum, including the terrific tutorial by phong.

I note everyone says to use the metal shim gasket that came out on the AU engines and not the graphite ones originally on the EL. My question is, the photo attached is of the VRS kit I am told by a local parts supplier is the correct one - the metal shims are just around the holes. Is this the correct gasket or is the one for the AU people are talking about different again.

Cheers

Geoff

Attachments:
hgasket.jpg
hgasket.jpg [ 80.11 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]

Post subject: Re: Is this this the right head gasket for EL 6cyl
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ghendo wrote:
Hi everyone

I am about to replace the head gasket on my EL 6cyl (1998) and have been reading threads on the forum, including the terrific tutorial by phong.

I note everyone says to use the metal shim gasket that came out on the AU engines and not the graphite ones originally on the EL. My question is, the photo attached is of the VRS kit I am told by a local parts supplier is the correct one - the metal shims are just around the holes. Is this the correct gasket or is the one for the AU people are talking about different again.

Cheers

Geoff

Hey Geoff...

I can't really tell from the image, but to me it looks like a composite head gasket, not an AU multi-layer steel (MLS) gasket. The AU MLS head gasket that is referred to by most is composed of 3 layers of complete steel gaskets held together by rivets. It looks something like this:

(sorry don't have a picture of the gasket on it's own)

It doesn't have the metal rings as per your picture.

The supplier is probably correct in saying that it is the correct one for your engine, but it is not the AU multi-layer steel gasket from Ford which is preferred for reliability. I think you can still get the AU MLS gasket from Ford, however I think prices are along the lines of $120+ or something.

You can still use the other gaskets supplied in the VRS kit for the engine, so that kit isn't a complete waste.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks pongus for the quick reply

I thought it probably wasn't the right one - I'd imagined the correct one would look like your photo but wasn't sure. Pleased I asked. Haven't bought the VRS kit yet.

I will be doing the job in a couple of weeks when my son comes home from holidays to help. Hope it is ok to ask a couple of dumb questions if I get stuck.

Cheers

Geoff

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ghendo wrote:
Thanks pongus for the quick reply

I thought it probably wasn't the right one - I'd imagined the correct one would look like your photo but wasn't sure. Pleased I asked. Haven't bought the VRS kit yet.

I will be doing the job in a couple of weeks when my son comes home from holidays to help. Hope it is ok to ask a couple of dumb questions if I get stuck.

Cheers

Geoff

No problem.

I found this on ebay for your interest

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-FORD ... 43ae278eda

It is a genuine AU MLS head gasket. $102 + $15 postage (I think $15 nationwide, but double check) which is the going price at the moment I believe, however have a call around your local Ford to see if they have any in stock at similar price, saves you headache with postage.

You'll also need new head bolts, haven't heard anything bad from Nason brand, haven't used them personally so can't give you my opinion but they are half the price of genuine.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-3-9-4-0 ... 5d35d9debc

OR genuine Ford

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-FORD ... 43b4266e90

You can get a VRS kit for the rest of the gaskets or buy individual ones separately. Not sure what would end up cheaper. You'll need at least thermostat "housing-to-head" gasket, exhaust gasket, intake gasket, timing cover "C" gasket and rocker cover gasket. If you are replacing the thermostat, you'll need the thermostat O-ring replaced and if your rocker cover bolt rubbers are perished, replace them as well.

I think that's all you need.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]