Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hyena wrote:
More Grunt wrote:
Cars in general are a huge waste of money. BA's certainly havnt really held their value well, so I dont see the relevance of your point.

My point is that if you spent 7k now on an EF in 2 years time it'll still be worth SFA. Spend the same on a BA and you've got a nicer, newer car in the mean time and you'll still get 5k odd for it in a few years.

I spent $1000 to get my stock EF into the high 14s and another $5000 to drop into the mid-low 14s. $5k for 0.4 seconds off - good value ?

If your going to do up a car why would you sell it in 2 years? Do you have inside info that none of us are privvy to? I cant recall mentioning EFs either, and not a stock falcon. The EL Xr6 is the best bet for tunning bang for your buck. I re-iterate that claim because it seems to have been missed.

and 5k back for spending 10k+ on a car in five years? what an investment, why didnt I think of that? I could be rolling in debt in as little as 15 years with gems like that.

Get over worring about resale with cars it will always be a substantial loss unless its a highly desired or low production model. Last I checked an XT wasnt in that category. You should get a car you DONT want to sell, it will be worth more to you in the long run.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I mentioned EFs because thats what the guy has. It's already manual and partially modded so makes no sense to sell it for an EL XR for the sake of a LSD and bodykit.

If you're going to keep it for ever then well and good, spend thousands. But really, the guy is 19, I'm sure his circumstances will change in a few years.

Anyway forums are no place for forward thinking, back to discussion of people "thinking about a turbo" :lol:

ImageImage

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hyena wrote:
More Grunt wrote:
Cars in general are a huge waste of money. BA's certainly havnt really held their value well, so I dont see the relevance of your point.

My point is that if you spent 7k now on an EF in 2 years time it'll still be worth SFA. Spend the same on a BA and you've got a nicer, newer car in the mean time and you'll still get 5k odd for it in a few years.

I spent $1000 to get my stock EF into the high 14s and another $5000 to drop into the mid-low 14s. $5k for 0.4 seconds off - good value ?

don't mean to rude here. but seems like you spent $5000 in the wrong places.

some 3.7 diff gears and some M/T ET Street radials would have got you that mid to low 14 with change from $5000

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I got a fully rebuilt engine making 175rwkw and reco'd 3.45 for that.
Diff gears and a set of semi-slicks are good if you just want a time slip to wave around but as a daily driver you take on trips etc it's not the most practical.

If he's not worried about highway revs though, yeah bang in a big cam and a set of 4.11s!

ImageImage

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Hyena wrote:
back to discussion of people "thinking about a turbo" :lol:

especially a "low boost" setup on a budget :roll:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hyena wrote:
Diff gears and a set of semi-slicks are good if you just want a time slip to wave around but as a daily driver you take on trips etc it's not the most practical.

If he's not worried about highway revs though, yeah bang in a big cam and a set of 4.11s!

Im picking up what you are putting down there. Practicality is essential. Time slips are a bit of fun and wank, if the vehicle you drive starts reliably and puts a smile on your dial whenever you drive it, you have a good car.

I know it would be worth as much as the car but maybe a capa vortech setup would be the go for ease of use and results. If it hasnt already been sugested (cant recal).

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hyena wrote:

3.7:1 gearing isn't a big problem. a few hundred rpm more on the high way isn't alot. and bolt a set of street legal M/Ts befor you go the track every now and then is better then going there on your daily tyres and wasting them doing burn outs.

small cam, intake, exhaust,diff gears, and tyres and you are faster then %90 of people claiming 170rwkw+ for half the price and you still get better feul economy

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '07 LT XR5

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i can always take some of the $7K off ya hands and then it wont be such a problem :D

So much RAM the motherboard twisted off the POST.

I lost 3 cylinders... but gained a turbo...
Proud owner of an '07 XR5Turbo

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

You could just buy everyone on the forums a slab?

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

I reckon spending $7k on an EF is f**k mad....Hyena is spot on....sell it and buy a B-series....

The $7k will add bugger alll to your car value...so when you decide you want something newer, yu'll be wishing you kept the 7k...

House deposit=wise investment if you don't already have a house.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

the_scotsman wrote:
I reckon spending $7k on an EF is f**k mad....Hyena is spot on....sell it and buy a B-series....

The $7k will add bugger alll to your car value...so when you decide you want something newer, yu'll be wishing you kept the 7k...

House deposit=wise investment if you don't already have a house.

B series definately haven't held their value well. normal falcons are already down around the 11g mark for a good one...

and if your spending money to add to the resale value of your car you need to wake up to yourself, 95% of the time you would be better off keeping the money as you wont get back as much as you spent...the exception is classic/rare cars etc

and i don't get why hyena, you are saying something like that when i'm positive you have spent more than that on your car. I own an EL and so far i have already spent more than what i payed for it, and soon over twice that.

Also I don't think a thread where the guy has asked what he wants to do to his car for 7 grand is the place to be telling him to buy another one :roll:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Last edited by skidder on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

I paid $300 for my car... I've spent about $4,000 on it. I'm not looking to make profit in anyway (not like I really could), I just want a fast, fun and good-looking ride. Probably the same as EL Manual.

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
and i don't get why hyena, you are saying something like that when i'm positive you have spent more than that on your car.

yes I spent alot on my car but I also did 90% of the work myself so for the average person to do the same it'd cost them alot more. I also had my EF for about 5-6 years and spent the money gradually, replacing parts that wore out with bigger and better upgrades. I payed 10,000 for it stock as a rock at the time so it's probably the equilivant of buying a BA now. It got to the point in the end though that it wasnt worth spending big money for what was still going to be an old car at the end of the day.

Common sense spending like house deposits aside, spending $7000 on a $2000 car really is a silly. EFs are a good car for what they cost now but they're hardly rare or classic. Each to their own, that's just my opinion but there's no point in me trying to validate this to the likes of $500 EA owning 17 year olds

ImageImage

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

is this fordmods, or stockfords? The guy wants to spend money on his car. we all do its what we come here for. Its a logical point as far as it goes that it wont add any real value to your vehicle modding it. No one is arguing that. But its moot logic, the point is for the majority who come to FORDMODS is to talk about modding their car to suit their own personal taste on a specific budget.

Let the man MOD!

ps.

17 years old- 7 grand aint gunna get you much of a house these days. doesnt matter how optimistically you look at it. Buy a house... yeah top idea, buy when the market is at peak. I suppose your other pearl of wisdom is sell it if prices drop off? Id wait till the s**t hits the fan- probably in the next 5 years by some predictions when the a*** all falls out of it and snap up what today costs 600k for 300k. buying when prices are high is no way to make money lol.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hyena wrote:
but there's no point in me trying to validate this to the likes of $500 EA owning 17 year olds

I'm 18 (and don't have a boxcar :P), and you don't need to validate your point to anyone cause it is your opinion. Was just curious as to why someone who has obviously spent a lot of time and money on their car (obviously not to try and make money off it) was telling someone not to modify their car because it was a waste of money.

EVL098 wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next