JMM Cams... 

Page 2 of 7 [ 93 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:00 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

Damo wrote:
good old Jim Mock motorsport. :lol: I have the dev 4 cam in my EF, i'm happy with the performance, but get very bad lifter noise especially after a blast to 5600. All 12 lifters have been replaced and shimmed. I'm going to rebuild the top end and eliminate the JMM parts.

Yea the thought has been going through my mind also of replacing his cam too with something better, I noticed theres someone in New Zealand that deals with the Streetfighter cams, and Im wondering if thats who he gets them from, rather deal with them than Mr Mock anymore, he's got some very interesting cams, this time its gonna be a GUARRANTEED billet cam than a Mockery..... :lol:

Denim (BAXR6) nothin like a couple of Eaton M90's on, to show whos BOSS....

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

look into wade cams, they have a handful of different grinds to choose from and are very cost effective. Their 1636977B cam is as far as you can go with a regrind, so probably very similar in spec, if not better than the JMM regrinds anyway. Have JMM got their cam specs listed anywhere or is it all "top secret" s**t?
BTW anyone read that autospeed article where the JMM cams make the car go backwards as far as power goes?

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
look into wade cams, they have a handful of different grinds to choose from and are very cost effective. Their 1636977B cam is as far as you can go with a regrind, so probably very similar in spec, if not better than the JMM regrinds anyway. Have JMM got their cam specs listed anywhere or is it all "top secret" s**t?
BTW anyone read that autospeed article where the JMM cams make the car go backwards as far as power goes?

you got a link for the story mate?

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

you need to view it via google cache, because i think the article got removed from autospeed (wonder who's requested that?? :) )

Try these links part 1, 2, 3

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:GfH ... cd=2&gl=au
http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:y-5 ... cd=2&gl=au
http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:bKN ... cd=1&gl=au

if the links dont work google Autospeed franks cam and click the 'cached' links. Might pay to save the pages to your pc incase they get removed from the cache at some stage

Bottom line:

Code:
In fact, in summary, here’s how I view the engine modifications, based solely on the results achieved on my Falcon:

JE intake system and installation – cheap, easy, effective, small (3kW) power gain on the dyno and clearly better response on the road

JMM extractors & Mercury exhaust and installation – not cheap but excellent results with a clear dyno power gain (8kW) and revolutionised bottom and top end on-road performance; downside of an exhaust drone

ChipTorque real-time engine management re-mapping (called by the company a ‘custom chip’) – not cheap but better throttle response, better fuel economy and a slight power gain (4kW)

JMM cam and installation – expensive flop

You live and learn...

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well...

a) All JMM cams are a regrind. I've never known them to have billets. And ive seen regrind DEV5's that go back 3 years. So either you were lied to, or are mistaken.

b) Pretty much all cams that I have seen that have been reground will cause some sort of lifter chatter. Wade, JMM, RPD. Even when the lifters are correctly shimmed and there is minimal lash clearance. The noise generally happens at engine operating temp in my car at idle, when the pressure gets lower.

c) If your car looses power with a JMM cam, then there is something seriously wrong.

d) Of couse he wont give out specs. I'm sure hes spent many hours perfecting each cam, and its his copyrighted intellectual property.

e) If you have a DEV3 cam, it doesnt need special springs, the lift isnt big enough.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT Series 2

QLD, Australia

Wow that is interesting reading. Starting to hear thoese stories all over not just on this forum.

Stage 1 stereo install done. Pics in audio section.
Next step is probably a nice exhaust or stage 2 stereo.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BF II XR6 Turbo Ute

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Well...

a) All JMM cams are a regrind. I've never known them to have billets. And ive seen regrind DEV5's that go back 3 years. So either you were lied to, or are mistaken.

b) Pretty much all cams that I have seen that have been reground will cause some sort of lifter chatter. Wade, JMM, RPD. Even when the lifters are correctly shimmed and there is minimal lash clearance. The noise generally happens at engine operating temp in my car at idle, when the pressure gets lower.

c) If your car looses power with a JMM cam, then there is something seriously wrong.

i have a jmm cam and i am more than happy with the out come care feels to be pulling good thought the rev range fuel econ is better and i have no complaints what so ever if ya do everything right it will work for you there has been alot of R n D go into these setups and they DO work

d) Of couse he wont give out specs. I'm sure hes spent many hours perfecting each cam, and its his copyrighted intellectual property.

e) If you have a DEV3 cam, it doesnt need special springs, the lift isnt big enough.

No dose No Care

P.B of 12.2@118 with more in it!!!!

Formerly known as ebturb

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

ebturb wrote:
arm79 wrote:
Well...

i have a jmm cam and i am more than happy with the out come care feels to be pulling good thought the rev range fuel econ is better and i have no complaints what so ever if ya do everything right it will work for you there has been alot of R n D go into these setups and they DO work

No dose No Care

Formerly known as ebturb

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

in regards to the specs not being released, that is s**t. All the rest of the cam manufacturers (well the important ones anyway) have specs listed on their website, so people can research and ensure the rest of the combo is suitable. why dont JMM?

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

they dont have to give specs out if they dont want ya know they work hard to get them corest if ya want the spects measure it up ya self and stop havin a big cry about it the easion his lifter would have broken is because the lifter wouldnt have been put in corect and would have jamed and put to much side presure in the rocker and broken and that would have happened durin one of the cam installs so there is no blaming jmm for that one

No dose No Care

Formerly known as ebturb

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:10 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU 6

VIC, Australia

Gee sounds like uve had a s**t of a time man. Didnt expect Dyna Mite to f you around like that as well i'll steer clear o them now

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:58 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Well...

If all his cams are regrinds, then why advertise billet cams at just under $500 on his site..?.. and at the time, I had discussed this at length with him, I mean.. he owns the business, surely HE knows if he deals with billet cams or not..??.. what he installed is a different matter BUT the fact remains, he recommended a BILLET cam which he supposedly kept in stock, the cam worked for 2 years without a problem, NO NOISE at all, till a few weeks ago, and it got progressivly louder, which to me indicated either the lifters needed cleaning, replacing or needed to be reshimmed, the springs I had replaced because I had mixed feelings about placing a hotter cam in later, and it was at JM's recommendation 2 years ago, to place in the better springs, which he didnt have at the time, my car lost power when I took it to Dyna mite performance to get the parts replaced, plus the fact of a noisy chain, .... I went on the recommendation of a PROFESSIONAL, if THEY dont know their job, then WHO does..?.. if I bag either of them I have VERY good reason to do so, and my complaint with the JMM cam if you read right, had to do with the fact of finding a regrind in my motor, rather than a billet which I have PAID for..... what he claimed my motor will put out fell only 2 kws short of his estimation, I have NO complaints about that at ALL.....

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:14 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Just to add to that.... I noticed my rocker was broken on Sat, when I took the cover off.. after getting my car back from Dyna mite performance, NOT from JMM's work... Dyna mite didnt want to run the car without the cover on for fear oil may stain his floor, therefore guessing where the noise was coming from and he still didnt get it right... and as far as JMM's cams yea well he has his right to keep his specs on his cams,

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:20 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Denim wrote:
If all his cams are regrinds, then why advertise billet cams at just under $500 on his site..?..

Link?
I've never seen mock advertise billets, and if he did, I very very VERY much doubt he'd advertise them for the same price as his reground cams...

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Denim... Seriously, a few well placed full stops and some reasonably constructed paragraphs would make your story much more easier to read.

Looking at your posts, it seems you are angry with everyone under the sun, and making heads or tails from what you have posted is making things quite difficult.

Either way, I would like to see where JMM advertises billet cams. Please show us.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 7  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next