JMM Cams... 

Page 6 of 7 [ 93 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:16 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

turbosix wrote:
i have fitted jmm prouducts and driven vehicles with jmm stuff like i said goes better than standard but not that impressive for the amount of cost involved , its amazing that people talk themselves into and feel their vehicle goes so much better than it does and has so much power atws but i suppose if they are happy thats the main thing

So a 14.2 from an EB with just a Dev5 cam and extractors is bad. It also pulls 170rwkw on a dyno.

What about a 14.6 from EF with similar mods.

Or the EL XR6 on here that runs a 14.3.

The figure I got from the supposedly rooted JMM dyno is the only figure I was ever able accurately reproduce on other dynos. And its funny it was the lower figure of all that I got.

I think really the only thing JMM is guilty of is probably quoting his figures on new/rebuilt engines. If a person with the general 150,000 or 200,000+ km old slapper thinks their engine is going give the figures and performance at that age, they have rocks in their head.

I have also found that even the smallest difference in cam timing off JMM specs can affect the performance greatly.

As I said, I'm no big JMM fan, but I give credit where credit is due. And as Steady said, jumping in the "I Hate JMM" bandwagon is getting old, specially where one has no examples.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Pretty hard to accurately dial in a new cam if the timing chain has stretch to its max tolerance. maybe thats why some of those DEV? ain't producing what it claims.

Old school way was... replace the cam, replace the chain!
Well, thats how I've always done things, mostly by the bloke I order to do the job! lol

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:13 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Slick wrote:
Pretty hard to accurately dial in a new cam if the timing chain has stretch to its max tolerance. maybe thats why some of those DEV? ain't producing what it claims.

Well, thats how I've always done things, mostly by the bloke I order to do the job! lol

We are E-Series owners slick, its the in-thing to do s**t the cheap and easy way, then when it doesn't work, head to the forums and whinge, and blame everyone but yourself :wink:

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:46 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: el futura

VIC, Australia

I've got a dev 3hl cam and it's as noisy as all fu@#
I'ts already caused damage and i'm waiting for the timing chain to snap.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:54 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I've got a Dev3HL, and its silent.
It was silent in the two cars it was in before mine as well.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Slick wrote:

We are E-Series owners slick, its the in-thing to do s**t the cheap and easy way, then when it doesn't work, head to the forums and whinge, and blame everyone but yourself :wink:
With some of the package offered by JMM, you'll think they'll replace the timing set for what they charge! :lol:
I'm sure most of the guys here are happy with their setup but there are a few complaints that aren't promising one's. unfortunately thats all it takes to destroy someone these day's. forums can be a good medium for business, it can also f**k you up big time... especially with the amount of slandering thats going on here!!! lol

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: el

VIC, Australia

most of my top end is jmm gear including the dev 5 cam, ive never had ne trouble cos i did it rite in the 1st place. it doesnt make ne noise n with an auto it pulls consistant 14.5s. stop bein tite a*** n do things properly

97 el falcon, dev 5 package with standard tickford head, rebuilt acl 1mm ova size bottem end, rebuilt auto tranny, 3.7 minispool, au2 rims on ultra lows.
14.65 1/4 165rwkw

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I dont have much of an opinion on their gear since I dont use it, Im sure jim put a lot of work into his product, but from my experience with going into JMM with brendan doing a lot of the work now, is unless you come in with big bucks, you arnt worth their time. Really customer service is their main shortfall. I went in to get my capa flash unlocked, with a view to have them dyno tune me and maybe get a dev3hl,vernier gear and springs down the track, but after experiencing brendan mock first hand, ill buy my parts elsewhere, have my mate install them and JMM are only going to get the dyno time because I cant afford to drive to sydney to have joe do it, and dynomotive are on the other side of melbourne.

Their product may be s**t, great or in between but it doesnt stop you feeling like your not worth the effort when you go in there without requesting a full dev package. I dont know if this was like this when jim was on deck, but it is like that under brendans watch.

just hitting the middle ground here.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:21 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
I dont have much of an opinion on their gear since I dont use it, Im sure jim put a lot of work into his product, but from my experience with going into JMM with brendan doing a lot of the work now, is unless you come in with big bucks, you arnt worth their time. Really customer service is their main shortfall. I went in to get my capa flash unlocked, with a view to have them dyno tune me and maybe get a dev3hl,vernier gear and springs down the track, but after experiencing brendan mock first hand, ill buy my parts elsewhere, have my mate install them and JMM are only going to get the dyno time because I cant afford to drive to sydney to have joe do it, and dynomotive are on the other side of melbourne.

Their product may be s**t, great or in between but it doesnt stop you feeling like your not worth the effort when you go in there without requesting a full dev package. I dont know if this was like this when jim was on deck, but it is like that under brendans watch.

just hitting the middle ground here.

Yea, their product is good I have to admit, but depending on their mood, is how you will find them, and to me thats not good enough,
if Im gonna be spending money with them, when I used to ask certain questions about certain things, Brendans impatience, and attitude of, "HEY!!.. Im the expert here, you dont question me" left a lil to be desired... patience with customers is needed, customers,
like to be convinced, reassured, content, satisfied, or whatever, that theyre gonna be happy with what they get, in exchange
for their hard earned dollars.. 8-)

Denim (BAXR6) nothin like a couple of Eaton M90's on, to show whos BOSS....

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

gibbo wrote:
most of my top end is jmm gear including the dev 5 cam, ive never had ne trouble cos i did it rite in the 1st place. it doesnt make ne noise n with an auto it pulls consistant 14.5s. stop bein tite a*** n do things properly

NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.... my cousin like you did it the right way....with the JMM gear and it caused nothing but f**k trouble. New timing gear done properly etc and it just caused f**k trouble with rattling, and f**k guides.

he has now f**k off that dev 5 regrind s**t and is running a PROPER billet racing cam. NOT jmm. but SURECAM.. great product.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:35 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

edfairmont4.0 wrote:
gibbo wrote:

NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.... my cousin like you did it the right way....with the JMM gear and it caused nothing but f**k trouble. New timing gear done properly etc and it just caused f**k trouble with rattling, and f**k guides.

he has now f**k off that dev 5 regrind s**t and is running a PROPER billet racing cam. NOT jmm. but SURECAM.. great product.

From the sounds of it Ed, you had problems with the cam, and the rattle, JMM cams are regrinds, and they need spacers for the cam
to take away the slack, each lifter needs to be checked for slack, one might take 2 spacers, whereas the other may take 3 spacers,
and if its done properly, then you shouldnt have any rattling,
now, if you placed a billet cam in without a problem, with
no rattling, that tells me one thing .. it wasnt set up right.. 8-)

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

im talking about chain rattle, and Jim himself said, put in 2 shims per lifter.
and yes there was lifter noise as well. Regrinds are just s**t, especially for a cam of that kind its even worse.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:00 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

edfairmont4.0 wrote:
and yes there was lifter noise as well. Regrinds are just s**t, especially for a cam of that kind its even worse.

Sounds like we had a similar problem, I had the chain rattle also, but that was the chain guide and housing, that was stuffed up by a certain
so called competent mechanic, he replaced that at my cost, plus I changed the lifters also, I had a Dev3 cam installed which
I was very happy with, as far as performance was concerned, I had heard a lot about the Dev5 cam, from owners that had em,
and they seemed quite satisfied with them, if the Dev3 was anything to go by, 144rwkw's, the Dev5 wouldve been something quite nice..

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Denim wrote:
edfairmont4.0 wrote:

Sounds like we had a similar problem, I had the chain rattle also, but that was the chain guide and housing, that was stuffed up by a certain
so called competent mechanic, he replaced that at my cost, plus I changed the lifters also, I had a Dev3 cam installed which
I was very happy with, as far as performance was concerned, I had heard a lot about the Dev5 cam, from owners that had em,
and they seemed quite satisfied with them, if the Dev3 was anything to go by, 144rwkw's, the Dev5 wouldve been something quite nice..

ahh heres the issue, its all well and good to put a dev 5 in, well no its not, i lie. it ws developed as part of a package and for it to run properly needs to have head modifications otherwise you would be pissing in the wind since it would be strangled by the stock head. just take the abortions people had thinking they could fit dev 4's into unworked heads.

a dev3hl on the other hand was developed to take the stock head as far as it could go by that manufacturer in this case JMM.

I reckon putting a dev 5 spec'd cam in a stock head is a waste of time and money unless your going to open her up from inside out.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: V8 Falcon, Nissan Patrol

QLD, Australia

I had a DEV 5 head and DEV 5 cam package with brand new lifters(HLAs)/chain/tensioner/viener gear etc. Each lifter was measure for clearance, and only needed 2 shims each, plus factory shim - as per jmm instructions. Turned out s**t.

And yes, they treat you like s**t too, as it was said, "how dare you question me" is the feeling you get.[/b]

1993 Ford Fairmont EB II 5.0L V8 Wagon
1992 Nissan Patrol TI 4.2L Diesel 4x4 Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 7  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next