JMM Cams... 

Page 1 of 7 [ 93 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: JMM Cams...
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

This is a bit of a story, so I hope I dont bore you with it, its an experience I went thru, and it left me with a somewhat bitter taste, it all started a few days ago when I took my car in to a High performance centre to get the lifters, double springs, and valve stem seals replaced as my lifters were noisy, I put in heavier springs because I have a JMM Dev3 cam in it, anyways, I get a call from the owner saying I do NOT have a billet cam installed (to my suprise) but a reground, I went later paid $520 for the work and parts, as I supplied him with the springs, and picked up the car, the car STILL had the lifter noise, and he told me he couldnt find out where it was coming from, I told him I need it fixed as thats the reason I went to this trouble so I had to take it back the next day, halfway home it stopped and wouldnt start up, I called my son who came gave me a jump start, and it started right away, BUT... the battery wasnt flat, but there was also a loose chain noise AND a loss of power, I went to the JMM camp the next day and spoke with THE man, and told him the problem, showed him my receipt, and asked him why there is a reground cam in my car when HE recommended a BILLET cam in the beginning, I said you recommended the special valves, a street fighter billet cam, special plugs, street fighter head, vernier gear and so on, I wanted a GOOD job done on my car so I agreed with your expertise, and left it to you, his reply was, HANG ON.. this receipt goes back 2 years, I said, thats beside the POINT, I dont care if it goes back 10 years I SHOULDVE had a NEW cam in the car NOT a reground, he said we sometimes regrind our billets... "WTF..????? I didnt ask for a REGRIND... IF, one was to regrind a cam and use that, what was wrong with MINE.. that he kept.. OR.. sell me a regrind, and charge me accordingly..?.. to me, what he did served only ONE purpose, and it doesnt take much to figure that one out, so, he offered some shims and that was it, with the advice... aimed at the other performance centre for his work..."You ONLY get what you pay for"... and I agreed.. wholeheartedly....BUT... EXCUSE ME.... you didnt supply the cam I paid for in the beginning, so I go back to the other performance centre, to get the shims installed, $200 and 4 hours later, the noise still persisted, I said to the mechanic, why dont you leave the rocker cover off, and see where the noise is coming from instead of just guessing and placing double shims under each lifter, his reply..." Cause I will get the floor dirty"... GEEEEZUS CHRIST... here I am paying good money for some guys guess work.. and STILL the job wasnt done... an expert in race car preparation..???.. anyways.. I paid him $150 cause I didnt expect to pay much more and told him I'll pay him the rest the next day, now.. Im thinking, WHY SHOULD I..??.. so tomorrow, (Sat) Im going to take the rocker cover off, and fix the problem myself, now.. before I finish off.. HOW many of you had billet cams installed by JMM..??... I'd be checking them, I'm NOT here to give an oral bashing, just to let you guys be aware, of what has happened to me could VERY well have happened to you also, and another thing, do NOT settle for a generic or general reciept of the parts and work done to you car, get a DETAILED and I repeat a DETAILED reciept, of the parts and work done to the car, listing EACH part and what it is, cause otherwise, you do NOT have a leg to stand on if you ever have problems, and one last word to JMM's remark of "You only get what you pay for"... JMM.. I paid GOOD money for less than professional work and parts, you said that with tongue in cheek, but dont forget, you are including yourself in there also... guys.. am I wrong in my way of thinking or what I said in this, I would like to hear comments to this..??.. as Im fairly irate over whats happened, so far the bill is $800 and a day off from work, and I still have the problem and worse..

Denim (BAXR6) nothin like a couple of Eaton M90's on, to show whos BOSS....

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

ive heard from a few people that they were disatisfied with the JMM work. their quality and service have declined possibly due to the fact they are busyier these days. this is not an excuse for f**k people however. trust me ive had something like this happen with me before. the place that f**k me over was BOWERS SUSPENSION in newcastle. i had a problem and they said i would have to replace 2 rotors and pads. basically after 4 rotors 4 sets of pads, 2 shocks and 2 springs and several bushes the squeek that i had was still there and they finally said "we cant do anything more". this is after i spent 1300 bucks to solve the problem.

f**k BOWERS SUSPENSION AND UNDERCAR!!!!!!!

so lets add them to JMM

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Sounds dodgy as.....

OBS35N did you ever find out what the squeek was or what caused it? And was it all 4 corners or just front end?

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

well i had my suspicions but i think i got it in the end ..... it just took another year. i suspect it was a ball joint or the loose radiator support. all fixed now

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:12 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I do not think they are busier these days as I have spoken with the younger of the 2.. and his comment was we are fairly quiet so I can do you a deal, on some work I had enquired about, I used to praise them for their work before this, even tho they charged a bit more, but now, after this..??.. they will NEVER get to see my car again, not to mention, anything coming out of my mouth about them will not be very favorable...

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:26 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well.. today (Sat).. I decided to pull off the rocker cover and check out the lifters and shims, and work out where the noise was coming from, and to my surprise as I was checking out a lifter, I hear the sound of something metalic falling, so I took a look at a couple of rockers to see if a lifter fell out, and I noticed a rocker with the side of it where the lifter sits in had snapped off, I looked everywhere for the part, but couldnt find it, other than the lifter, now Im starting to see red, cause the mechanic I wasnt gonna mention WHO.. but now I will....(owner) at Dyna-mite performance who had worked on this wouldve known, and he shouldve told me, rather than try and hide it, sooo.. now.. another F___kin problem to contend with, and, these are so called PROFESSIONAL mechanics, who charge you the earth to work on your cars, now, Monday another day off....

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Denim wrote:
Well.. today (Sat).. I decided to pull off the rocker cover and check out the lifters and shims, and work out where the noise was coming from, and to my surprise as I was checking out a lifter, I hear the sound of something metalic falling, so I took a look at a couple of rockers to see if a lifter fell out, and I noticed a rocker with the side of it where the lifter sits in had snapped off, I looked everywhere for the part, but couldnt find it, other than the lifter, now Im starting to see red, cause the mechanic I wasnt gonna mention WHO.. but now I will....(owner) at Dyna-mite performance who had worked on this wouldve known, and he shouldve told me, rather than try and hide it, sooo.. now.. another F___kin problem to contend with, and, these are so called PROFESSIONAL mechanics, who charge you the earth to work on your cars, now, Monday another day off....

I've said it before in other threads, and I'll say it again, about 80% of mechanics out there are sh!te, don't know their stuff, or don't give a stuff.
Its d!ckheads like them that give us decent mechanics a bad rep. Its very hard to get a good rep. and all too easy to lose it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Just goes to show that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Did the Dev 3 give you the gains you wanted? Were you happy with the performance of the cam for the 2 years since you bought it?

I thought that only the Dev 5 cams were billets.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:40 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

To CJH
I understand what your saying mate, I took my car to these 2 guys because theyre supposed to be professionals in their field, I aim my comments to them, and those like them, I have met some good mechanics over the years.. those who take PRIDE in their work, but unfortunately, few and far between anymore...

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:51 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I was quite happy and satisfied with the performance I got, I have NO complaints about that, and the money I paid to get the work done, my complaint is... I discussed the work to be done by JM.. and the understanding was he would place a billet cam in, there fore doing without shims, I wanted a good job, so I went with all his recommendations, IF, he had to grind the cam, then why did I have to pay for a billet only to get a reground, which he couldve done to my cam or sell me a reground instead..?.. and not only that, speaking of the Dev5 cam, I asked him for the HOTEST cam that the computer and fuel system could handle, they suggested the Dev3, months later they tell me, I could easily put in the Dev5 without a problem, now, what do you say to that..??.. one of the few reasons I wouldnt be going back to them, they recommended special valve springs, I agreed, few days later, they tell me they dont have them when my motor is apart, in my opinion, they shouldve sourced out other springs similar or better to theirs.. and finished of the job PROPERLY.... so instead placed in normal XR6 springs.... just a lil too much heartburn with them mate.. to go back to them again...

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Has the timing chain rattle been stopped? if so what did u do?

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:05 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Since I found the rocker arm broken I had to stop work, and try and either pick up a part tomorrow to finish it off.. or wait till monday, so I wont know till then, last I used the car the chain noise was still there with a good loss of power...

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Denim wrote:
Since I found the rocker arm broken I had to stop work, and try and either pick up a part tomorrow to finish it off.. or wait till monday, so I wont know till then, last I used the car the chain noise was still there with a good loss of power...

I'm having a go at something different, a 4.0, N/A, 10:1 or slightly more (haven't finnished the pistons yet ), AUII conrods, a custom grind billet cam, Moristech piggy back ( will need it to run the cam ), etc..etc..
JMM have told me it won't work........I'll be the judge of that.....I have built suff before thats a little left field and it worked.
The lastest one is an old XF ute, 250 Xflow, N/A, no gas, pump fuel, and have been told it could out accel a BA XR8 auto.......go figure.
I have watched this thing accel, and it does, very well, haven't had the chance to drive it myself yet.

My 5c.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

good old Jim Mock motorsport. :lol: I have the dev 4 cam in my EF, i'm happy with the performance, but get very bad lifter noise especially after a blast to 5600. All 12 lifters have been replaced and shimmed. I'm going to rebuild the top end and eliminate the JMM parts.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:52 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I'm having a go at something different, a 4.0, N/A, 10:1 or slightly more (haven't finnished the pistons yet ), AUII conrods, a custom grind billet cam, Moristech piggy back ( will need it to run the cam ), etc..etc..
JMM have told me it won't work........I'll be the judge of that.....I have built suff before thats a little left field and it worked.
The lastest one is an old XF ute, 250 Xflow, N/A, no gas, pump fuel, and have been told it could out accel a BA XR8 auto.......go figure.
I have watched this thing accel, and it does, very well, haven't had the chance to drive it myself yet.

I hope it goes well for you, would be interesting to see, Im one of the old school myself and Ive had motors with full race cams been used on the streets, in a 351 cleveland 2 dr XB, and a LJ XU1, VERY lumpy, but I tell you they went, I had an XF auto, all I did was put a good set of extractors and a close ratio top loader and it out performed the the 4.2GM V8's the difference it made was unreal, so I can only imagine what it would go like if set up right, I was looking at doing a similar thing on my EL with the hottest Crowe cam plus a few other lil mods, Ive had reports of around the 200 kw's but, now Im waiting on some Eaton superchargers M112's and M90's and am going to install both and see what difference each one makes, will end up selling them if all goes well, and hopefully with installation kits....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 7  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next