Fordmods Logo

JMM 

Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA Turbo

VIC, Australia

I run JMM's new platinum Autolights in my Turbo engine....they seem to work very well!

EA Falcon S Sprint
Snort Performance Custom Turbo Setup
340rwkw on 13psi...tuned by CVE

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Fairmont 5.0

SA, Australia

normell wrote:
Aaron_EF8 wrote:
If you can't change your own spark plugs, I don't think you should be driving a car.

And I personally wouldn't use JMM's dyno, as it's been known to read up to 30% higher than real dyno's.

So just how accurate are "real" dyno's

Well 'real' dyno's will read within a few Kw of each other. I have a friend who went to JMM to get a Dev-3 kit fitted to her BA XR6. After the mods, the JMM dyno said 182rwkw, and the other dyno read 152rwkw. 30rwkw is a lot of difference at that sort of power levels.

This is not the only example I have seen of JMM's innacurate dyno readings, but it is the first example that came to mind.

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

good old JMM Dyno , It known to be very inaccurate and give you a reading to make you smile!
The plugs, i threw mine out, happy with the bosch 4 points

Nicko

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

What do yas think of bosch super 4's. They dont offer any super 4kw power or anything but they sure look clean after 30,000km

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

lol i love em
the claimed 4rwkw gain is just that - claimed!

Nicko

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:25 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AUIII Futura

VIC, Australia

[/quote]Well 'real' dyno's will read within a few Kw of each other. I have a friend who went to JMM to get a Dev-3 kit fitted to her BA XR6. After the mods, the JMM dyno said 182rwkw, and the other dyno read 152rwkw. 30rwkw is a lot of difference at that sort of power levels.

This is not the only example I have seen of JMM's innacurate dyno readings, but it is the first example that came to mind.[/quote]

You cannot compare one dyno with another, no matter how simular they are, different weather conditions Etc.
If you are testing the difference a set of plugs make, its logical to do a before and after run on the SAME dyno. The SAME dyno will give results as to gains or losses to horsepower regardless.
No point in going to Jacks dyno first, doing the changes, then going to Jills dyno after, and thinking, s**t thats a big gain.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Every day above ground is a good day"
"Still drinking & driving, but not at the same time"
http://groups.msn.com/picturesofyourcar ... utura.msnw

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Fairmont 5.0

SA, Australia

Dyno Dynamics have shootout mode software available for every one of their dyno's, and is now the commonly accepted way of having dyno runs, as it corrects for the altitude, and to a lesser degree, weather. DD staff come to every dyno and calibrate it, as well as the dyno owners, to make them all as accurate, and within a Kw or 2 of each other.

And if you read my last post properly, the car WAS dyno'ed at JMM after the mods, then dyno'ed somewhere else and read 26 Rwkw more at JMM. I have also ran my car on other dynos, as have a lot of people I know, and the results have all been within 5rwkw of each other, so these 3-4 dyno's are all reading properly.

I did make a mistake, at the dyno i'd consider to be more accurate, the car made 158rwkw, not 152. But you still don't lose 25rwkw from weather changes, even though it was cooler at the second dyno.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

What about leads I've herd JMM use Chanpion low restistance leads. Msd make a 8.5mm set which only have a ohm rating of 40-50 ohms per foot i've tested the top guns on my car and there about 3,000 ohms per foot.

So in threoy the lower restistance the more voltage gets to the plug.

Anyone every tryed the msd ones?

97' EL falcon -
Lowered (Lovell’s S.lows KYB's all round.) Whiteline adj. sway bars, superpro watts link bushes, pacemakers, 2.5in mandrel cat back, high flow cat, K&N EF air box lid, AU XR8 snorkel, custom intake piping, Bosch super 4 spark plugs,

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

no but i think im going to :P

Succesful trades with bentles_eb, Pane, chunkz, xr8_dismantler, OBS35N, mrnasty, Steady ED, voxace, Mash85, ovo616, ef biff, lukey, dazza2924, Seannyb, gunit18, jkk, Tocchi,

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I priced a set of msd 8.5mm super conductor's today the same used in top fuel drag cars. They only come in kit form you have to cut them to length and put the plugs on.

A bit pricey at about $160 a set but I guess you get what you pay for.

I also took the multimeter to work today and tested the bosch leads that we sell. They have about 1/3 of the resistance the top guns on my car. The longest one there was a 122mm it had a reading of about 6k ohms the shortest 1k ohms.

Just abit of reserch for you all.

Cheers,

97' EL falcon -
Lowered (Lovell’s S.lows KYB's all round.) Whiteline adj. sway bars, superpro watts link bushes, pacemakers, 2.5in mandrel cat back, high flow cat, K&N EF air box lid, AU XR8 snorkel, custom intake piping, Bosch super 4 spark plugs,

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so the lower the ohms the better the leads, is the right?
cheers

Succesful trades with bentles_eb, Pane, chunkz, xr8_dismantler, OBS35N, mrnasty, Steady ED, voxace, Mash85, ovo616, ef biff, lukey, dazza2924, Seannyb, gunit18, jkk, Tocchi,

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: GT MKII

QLD, Australia

Spot on. If you replace your leads get the lowest resistance ones you can afford, and keep them as short as possible. I've just had about 10k of the car behaving like a pig, backfiring, missing shifts, being a dog off the line, cleaned my injectors, several fuel cleaners, full inlet cleanout, cleaned the throttle body, drained the fuel tank etc, etc, driving me nuts, and it turned out to be a bit of white powder corrosion in the number 5 plug lead cap over the plug. Cleaned it out and a bit of a flush = new car.

Was amazing the difference. Obviously my motorcrafts are on the way out, so a decent set of low resistance leads is in the pipeline. I'm not expecting any obvious gains though......

The older I get the better I was.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

cogdoc wrote:
Spot on. If you replace your leads get the lowest resistance ones you can afford, and keep them as short as possible. I've just had about 10k of the car behaving like a pig, backfiring, missing shifts, being a dog off the line, cleaned my injectors, several fuel cleaners, full inlet cleanout, cleaned the throttle body, drained the fuel tank etc, etc, driving me nuts, and it turned out to be a bit of white powder corrosion in the number 5 plug lead cap over the plug. Cleaned it out and a bit of a flush = new car.

Was amazing the difference. Obviously my motorcrafts are on the way out, so a decent set of low resistance leads is in the pipeline. I'm not expecting any obvious gains though......

With leads probably best to go for Eagle F1 9mm+ Spiral Core Leads, or any decent spiral core leads, you will notice the difference and they will last longer/performance wise too.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

Felony: I got a quote from Noel Commerford Auto Parts & Accessories for Autolite plugs for an EL XR6. APP63 Double Platinum plugs = $13.44 inc GST each + $8.25 for postage to Melbourne

You can get more info at www.noelsautoparts.com.au

Happy Hunting :lol:

Silver, Full Tickford body kit V8 grunt!

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

For leads...

http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/E/V/ ... /03/8.html

Magnecor KV85 - 8.5mm. Don't worry about the R100 (10mm ones) as they are way to big for an I6. The both have the same spiral core, but the R100, just has more insulation.

The KV85, are ~$200-250, but they will last a lifetime. I'll be buying some soon.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next