Fordmods Logo

Just spent $4000 on a motor rebuilkd and the motor uses oil 

Page 1 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Just spent $4000 on a motor rebuilkd and the motor uses oil
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I just spent over $4000 on a full rebuild at the local garage, I even provided most of the parts. He ended up putting the wrong size tappets in the head gear so it sounds like a machine gun. The motor uses more oil now then it has ever done. He is blaming two of the exchange injecters for that. He said they had some slight moisture on them so that has leaked into the oil and thinned it out to much ans stuffed the motor. But it took him 6 weeks to work this out

Does this sound right to anyone? From day one the motor hasn't run properly and he has just kept fobbing me off and now he send me a bill for another $1100 saying that it was over looked. The head on my motor had only done 2000 Ks and I said I want that one put back on at rebuild. He went and got another one and charged me $600. I said no way, Put my one on it like I said to start with. then the next day he rings me up and tells me my head got damaged and is now no good.

I am just wondering what some of you people would do? I don't see why I should pay another $1100 for staters or for this other head. Plus a bit unsure what to do about a NEW motor that uses a litre of oil every 500 Ks

Thanks for your opionins, opps sorry it is for a 1988 Fairlane.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Contact consumer affairs or even A Current Affair if he doesnt want the negative public exposure.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

hmm not good i think u need to sit down and talk to him about it cause i think he is taking uy for a ride

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I have spoken to him about it, I tried to be very polite and diplomatic. He just ended up by saying it was allmy fault and that I am gay and like him . All news to me. I should of told the wife but I didn't even know my self that I was gay.lol

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1984 XE Falcon

VIC, Australia

f*ck him, Sue his a** off you paid $4000 for a full rebuild and he should have done it propely.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

i guess it shows that providing parts to mechanics gives them a scap goat if anything goes wrong. but how does something from the injectors get into the oil? that makes no sense!
1 question I have is why did you pay him when it wasn't going properly?

Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

yeah for 4 large u could have got a performance engine...... f**k him call ACA

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Quote:
The motor uses more oil now then it has ever done. He is blaming two of the exchange injecters for that. He said they had some slight moisture on them so that has leaked into the oil and thinned it out to much ans stuffed the motor. But it took him 6 weeks to work this out

He is full of it

Tell him that if he doesnt fix it you will take it to another engine builder and will have all the tolerances measured and documented, then you will take legal action.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Post subject: Re: Just spent $4000 on a motor rebuilkd and the motor uses
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Fubar wrote:
The motor uses more oil now then it has ever done. He is blaming two of the exchange injecters for that. He said they had some slight moisture on them so that has leaked into the oil and thinned it out to much ans stuffed the motor. But it took him 6 weeks to work this out

Sit him down and repeat as follows: "That is the biggest load of s**t that anyone has ever fed to me. You are a disgrace of a mechanic. I shall see you in court."

So.. he's claiming a few ML of water somehow found their way from the injectors into the oil system and this was sufficient to dilute 5L of oil to the point where engine damage occurred????????????????????? Unbelievable.

But seriously... dont give this guy any more money. Sounds like he owes you a refund or two and/or a working engine.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I hope you got a 14sec car for that kinda $$$.

But sounds very sus. I'd be threatening him with consumer affairs, and if he don't wanna come to the party, go visit them yourself.

But I trust you ran your engine in correctly after the rebuild? Otherwise there is a chance you will end up using oil.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

But I trust you ran your engine in correctly after the rebuild? Otherwise there is a chance you will end up using oil.)

Yes I even got him to do the oil changes so they where all recorded etc. I payed him up front as it is a small town and everyone knows everyone so I thought he would do the right thing. I was wrong.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:16 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Agreed with everyone here.
I would take every available option if he's refusing to discuss it with you.
ConsumerAffairs, civil action, media.
Anything it takes.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

He is claiming fuel leaked into the oil and diluted it causing the problem, I had never heard this before so I didn't know if it was possiable, I check oil everytime I use the car and never noticed and differnce in oil.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Fubar wrote:
But I trust you ran your engine in correctly after the rebuild? Otherwise there is a chance you will end up using oil.)

Yes I even got him to do the oil changes so they where all recorded etc. I payed him up front as it is a small town and everyone knows everyone so I thought he would do the right thing. I was wrong.

I mean the proceedures for wearing in the rings. Loading them up straight after the car is turned on the first time.

Otherwise they wont scrape the oil away properly, and it will just end up being burnt in the cylinders.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Sorry, He told me that I had to drive no faster then 90Ks for the first 500Ks then up and down for the next 500 Ks, so it will wear in evenly appaerantly. I followed this to the letter. The first 500 Ks it was using oil so he gave it a oil change ( charged me of cause ) The next 500 same thing so he says we should try another oil, this went on a few times more until I said no matter what oil you put in it won't solve the problem and I am sick of oil changes at $90 a time. This isn't what I payed for, so he says well it didn't come with a warranty. I said well it doesn't matter, This isn't what I payed for. Then he basicly said tuff and gave ne another bill he over looked for $1100 Said if I don't pay he will sue me.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next