Fordmods Logo

Just starting au in ef conversion 

Page 8 of 11 [ 162 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post subject: Re: Just starting au in ef conversion
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

My Ef wiring loom fitted onto the Au coil pack with no problems

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:24 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

SV-Valiant wrote:
My Ef wiring loom fitted onto the Au coil pack with no problems

then yours was series 1 ??

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

I would agree with Troydude there

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Krytox and Troyman are spot on. If you have a look at the AU-EF coil pack plug photo below, you will see the AU series 2/3 on the left and the EF/AU1 on the right. The AU series 2/3 Coilpack is smaller and made by Visteon (Ford part number 1R2U-12029-AA). The EF/AU1 is Bosch as already mentioned (Ford part number 94 DA12029AC) and is larger. Hope the photos help.

PS. the wiring colour codes are the same so you could easily put either pack in if you have the plug, solder/crimps and some heatshrink/tape.

Attachments:
EF Coil pack.jpg
EF Coil pack.jpg [ 82.46 KiB | Viewed 162 times ]
AU 2-3 coil pack.jpg
AU 2-3 coil pack.jpg [ 63.02 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]
au-ef coil pack plugs.jpg
au-ef coil pack plugs.jpg [ 68.42 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:47 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Just swapped bell housings and changed the torque converter seal. Bit of difference between the bottom of the bellhousings. The top half is identical. You could get away with using the EF unit but for $30, I thought I might as well fit the one designed for the engine. AU is on the left and EF/EL on the right.

Attachments:
AU-EF Bellhousing.JPG
AU-EF Bellhousing.JPG [ 56.53 KiB | Viewed 160 times ]

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

thanks for all the info guys, my motor was put in two weeks ago and all went smoothly..

basically these are the differences in short that i can remember..

au motor into ef

needed -
au alternator (or modifed brackets if keeping ef alt..)
-modified sump or cut cross member (i got the sump modified)
-bellhousings dont line up (i kept the original with the bottom two bolts not lining up which ive been told should still be fine)
- au temp sensor not connected to anything as using ef's thermstat housing and thats where the sensor it located..
-basically using the whole ef inlet manifold to save on wiring issues
-ef aircon bolted straight on
-CAS needed modifying along with the knock sensor
- used the ef drive belt (could use either really as they're only 10mm different)

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:49 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Well back on the job again today after being on holidays. If your using the AU engine mounts, you will have to open up the top hole with a step drill (not the horizontal bolt holes) in the chassis prior to fitting the engine . My suggestion would be to use your original mounts. I was unable to use one of mine as it was damaged during removal. Found out the hard way that they wouldn't fit after lifting the engine in place.

My aircon compressor fitted perfectly with no mods to the spacers. Also if just fitting the engine (no gearbox), make sure your donk is as level as possible. Any lean backwards will cause problems.

Attachments:
AU mount holes.jpg
AU mount holes.jpg [ 83.71 KiB | Viewed 168 times ]

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:06 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

I think you dont need to alter the Air Con spacers unless you use the ef alternator otherwise leave as they are and use a Au drive belt.

My AU mounts went right on with no problems.

Its now weeks later since my swap and i got to say the AU motor is a much better motor than the Ef but theirs a big differance when i switch from LPG to Petrol i have a much more noticable power gain when i run in on petrol, never had this much differance with the old motor.

But love the smoothness of this motor and the Au gearbox.

Alan

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:22 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Might be the difference between series 1 and series 2/3 engine mounts. Series 1 are probably the same as the EF/EL. Just waiting for the fluids to go in and LPG converter to be connected.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:41 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

Alfy did you use the Au box as well or your Ef box

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:32 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

EF auto with AU bellhousing. Hopefully I will have her running by the end of the week. Working double shifts at the moment so wont get to the car again until thursday.

Also noticed the AU flywheel access hole is suppose to have a cover over it but I didn't get one. Looks like it could be a large grommet type thing. Anyone know what covers this hole?

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:05 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

its a plastic cover , it clips in the square hole..
i havnt got one on mine..

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Yeah I have the plastic cover but never put it on :lol:

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:32 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Cheers TROYMAN and XR-Lane. I'll go to Ford and order one. Shouldn't cost much for a bit of plastic (but I've been surprised in the past).

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:09 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Well the engine is finally in and running. My heart sank yesterday when I turned the key and it wouldn't run on petrol or gas. I'd forgotten to look at the spark plugs in the AU donk as I didn't want any crap getting into the cylinders. After several attempts to start, I finally pulled the plugs and was surprised by the poor state of each plug. Some had the centre electrode completely missing. Swapped in my good plugs from the EF donk and thought now I'm in business. Still no run but it was trying to fire. Put my diagnostic box on the diag connector and retrieved 2 codes. Codes 123 and 113. Both were related to sensors on the inlet manifold being shorted to 12V. A close inspection of the wiring diagram revealed that the coolant temp sensor, iat sensor and throttle position sensor shared the same ground wire (bl/w). I had cut this wire and connected it to the AU's coolant temp sensor instead of splicing into it (I accidently removed the ground from the IAT and TPS). A bit of soldering and heatshrinking and now I'm in business. Cranked the engine but still no start. Switched to petrol and gave it a little throttle. It fired up and kept running. Idle was very poor and engine would die if I removed my foot from the throttle. After doing a base idle adjustment, all was well. Drove the car this morning approx 60kms with no dramas. Very smooth and quiet engine. A bit more power on lpg.

Big thanks to XR-Lane, SV-Valiant, Troyman and Krytox for your assistance.

Alfy

Attachments:
AU Donk Fitted.jpg
AU Donk Fitted.jpg [ 111.59 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]
Denso plugs AU.jpg
Denso plugs AU.jpg [ 45.88 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 11  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next