Just starting au in ef conversion 

Page 9 of 11 [ 162 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post subject: Re: Just starting au in ef conversion
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:52 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

I am surprized the Au motor even ran with those spark plugs in it when it was in its last car lol

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:58 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

ALFY I forgot to ask did you feel a differance in the AU motor and how it runs or performs compared to the old EF motor you had in your car, I not only noticed a better performing motor but using the Au gearbox in mine as well just seemed to make it run a lot smoother than the last set up.
Alan

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

those plugs arnt that bad (may have been irridiums or plantums)...the gap is bloody wide but......u could have reduced the gap and theyed be ok

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

I think you're right gogetta. The car probably would have run even with the poor condition of the plugs. My wife said this morning they were probably Irridium plugs (she does spares in the motorcycle industry).

The car has more power on LPG Alan but not that noticeable on petrol. The car is still a little rough on fuel as it was before the change. I think it is fuel reg or isolator in the tank. Overall I'd say it's a smoother engine especially if you give it the boot. So far I'm very happy with the swap and glad it's done.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:19 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

Strange that with my old EF engine the power differance was around the same between the LPG and Petrol but now with the Au motor i have a big differance in power which i didnt have before with the petrol giving me way more power than was noticable with the old engine.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Nice work in here.

Now that quite a few people have down AU to EF conversions I want to know if it was worth the effort/expense? Was fuel economy and performance better? Is the AU engine much more reliable then the EF? (besides the head gasket I mean)

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:09 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

My thoughts are that the conversion is worthwhile if you have a high km engine like mine and it is showing signs of wear. The engine should set you back about $200-400 but then factor in any gaskets, hoses, sensors, seals and fluids that need replacing. In my case water pump was leaking and timing cover weeping oil (AU engine). Broke one cam chain guide and the oil pressure transmitter. By the time the engine was fitted and running, I'd estimate I spent approx $1000 but my engine bay has all new hoses, my trans has new fluid and I have an engine that is leak free. This is an engine with only 112,000 kms versus 440,000 kms.

I wouldn't change engines for extra performance. Both engines are rated at the same output (157kw) but the AU has a much stronger/refined bottom end and also a higher compression ratio. The EF/EL engine has a wider choice of cams. An AU VCT will give a bit more grunt (see XR-Lane's install).

Keep in mind that the time factor is also one to consider. My engine swap (with fitting new gaskets/parts, water pump, modded sump/alt bracket/cmp sensor/knock sensor) has probably taken about 100 hours.

I doubt the AU engine is any more reliable than the EF/EL engine (other than head gasket) . Just a bit more refined and smooth. Fitting an AU head gasket/bolts to an E series engine would make it just as reliable. The AU engines are only attractive because of the lower kms. It's hard to find a low km EF/EL engine these days.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:17 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

[quote="Rick_Deckard"]Now that quite a few people have down AU to EF conversions I want to know if it was worth the effort/expense? Was fuel economy and performance better? Is the AU engine much more reliable then the EF? (besides the head gasket I mean)Nice work in here.

I would have to say just for the reliablitiy of having a better motor would out weigh the last four EF motors i have put in my car in the last five years (All head problems what a s**t design). But i have noticed the AU motor does or mine does have more power then the EF motor and it cruises alot better.

I got the motor and gearbox for $250 for both and i think i spent around $100 for oils and gaskets so maybe around less than $400 for the conversion and i am rapt in it.

It has alot better fuel economy on petrol but is around the same on LPG maybe a little better depending on how hard i drive it.

In all i would recommend the conversion to anyone and is easier to do than i first thought. :D

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Cheers for the replys SV-Valiant and afly12, will definately be considering it when mine has a few more k's on it, or something goes drastically wrong.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:59 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

Well this has been the first big run from Atkinsons Dam to Townsville for the AU motor into the EF and it never missed a beat really happy with the out come it has been worth the change over and will never go back to a EF motor the only drams ive had is the old ef pump dying so would recommend the change over to all.

The only drama i had along the way was the body rubbing into the tail shaft i had a little too much weight in the car and trailer so have a few shiny spots around the tail shaft but no damage and going back lighter and less one Siberian she died while up here.

But cant wait to get home. Too Humid up here for me.

Alan

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Hey this is a great thread, one thing im not quite sure on...

Ive just fitted an AU series 3 motor into my EF fairmont

I soldered the AU plug for the knock sensor to the EF loom but it doesnt work.
What is the best way to get the EF sensor into the AU motor?

1. Weld a nut to the bolt that goes into the au block, screw ef sensor into the nut?
2. Tap a larger thread into the block? , i dont like the idea of that personally..

Such a shame it runs perfect but it bloody pings.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:54 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

No check my thread (picture included) again i used a grinder to cut into the side of the thread and then used a shifter to get it out using a pair of vice grips did nothing but once i shaped it for the shifter it came right out.

Alan

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

I just locked 2 nuts together on the thread, then I was able to unscrew it.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

doesnt the AU 3 block just have a smaller hole?

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

the picture is on page two check and see if its the same as yours

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 11  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next