Fordmods Logo

Just starting au in ef conversion 

Page 3 of 11 [ 162 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Post subject: Re: Just starting au in ef conversion
Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

SV-Valiant wrote:
The only thing that worries me is have i put the Cam sensor in the right way i am old school and use to having a rotor button on top to see where no 1 is but with this thing i dont know if i have put it in the right way?

To tell you the truth, I cant remember how we did it but we just followed the manual. But TROYMANS suggestion is good to indicate when the piston is cumming up to top dead center

SV-Valiant wrote:
Also with your Alternator bracket why have you made that did you use your EF Alternator on the AU motor as i have left the Au Alternator on.

I did not get an AU alternator with my engine and I only bought a new one for the fairlane a few months before I did the conversion.

SV-Valiant wrote:
And one more question is the AU drive belt bigger than the Ef as the one on the motor was busted from the smash and i have used my EF compressor but cant get my belt to fit so figured i would need the AU belt and maybe its bigger than the EF belt. thanks Alan

If its a standard AU engine then the same belt can be used, If its a AU VCT engine it will need a longer belt because of the extra pulley in the belt setup.

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

And I almost forgot, regarding the water temp sensor in the back of the head, leave it there and dont worry about using it. if you use the EF thermostat housing the EF water temp sensor is there and can be used.

EDIT: Also you most likely got the engine with the power steering bracket, and in that case use it because it is the same as the EF one and its just a waste of time swapping it over.

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:06 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

Hi i should have mentioned i was lucky enough to have bought the motor and gearbox well all of the car less its interior for $250 so i am using the AU gearbox so wont need to modify the bell housing but its good that you added it for those who will want to modify their gearbox to suit. I will however have the AU intake manifold left over if any one wants it for free i am near Ipswich Qld if that helps.

And again thanks Josh i appreciate any help i am old school and these motors are new school so learning along the way i prefer to work on my SV1 Valiant its easier with less parts to worry about and thats the next project rebuilding my old girl.

Ok will start on it again in the morning and post the photos as i go

Alan

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

SV-Valiant wrote:
Hi i should have mentioned i was lucky enough to have bought the motor and gearbox well all of the car less its interior for $250 so i am using the AU gearbox so wont need to modify the bell housing but its good that you added it for those who will want to modify their gearbox to suit.

Just one thing you may not know about the transmissions and manual gearboxes in AU onwards. they are longer and you will find the shifter will not line up properly in the console and the tail shaft will need to be modified. You may be better off using the trans in your EF.

SV-Valiant wrote:
And again thanks Josh

No problems mate, happy to help.

Josh

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:48 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
SV-Valiant wrote:
Hi i should have mentioned i was lucky enough to have bought the motor and gearbox well all of the car less its interior for $250 so i am using the AU gearbox so wont need to modify the bell housing but its good that you added it for those who will want to modify their gearbox to suit.

Just one thing you may not know about the transmissions and manual gearboxes in AU onwards. they are longer and you will find the shifter will not line up properly in the console and the tail shaft will need to be modified. You may be better off using the trans in your EF.

SV-Valiant wrote:
And again thanks Josh

Josh

thats only on t5 manuals.. the autos are the same!!

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:16 am 
Fordmods Junkie

TROYMAN wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
SV-Valiant wrote:

SV-Valiant wrote:
And again thanks Josh

Josh

thats only on t5 manuals.. the autos are the same!!

Oh ok, cheers mate, Looks like there is no problem there after all Alan.

Josh

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nice thread dude

Heaps of pictures and info, keep it coming

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:34 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

Hi again I started with the Knock Sensor tried Josh's suggestion to put two nuts onto it and screw it out but it wouldnt budge and i didnt want to snap it off so a little wd 40 and then out came the angle grinder and what i did was cut a piece off both sides so i could put a big shifter onto it and out it came first time picture below
Attachment:
File comment: Knock Sensor bolt
100_4551.jpg
100_4551.jpg [ 256.9 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]

After that i screwed the EF one in but it felt a little sloppy so out again and i put some gasket maker around the thred and screwed it back in.

Next bit in next message

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:43 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

I then thought the EF Manifold can be bolted on so lined it up and put it in place then i thought what if i could use the Au fuel line and its injectors so i bolted the Ef intake manifold onto the Au motor no drama's and undid the ef fuel rail and took the injectors out and got the Au furel rail and injectors and place them in and bolted it up no problems at all but their is a differance with the Ef fuel rail you screw the fuel lines onto it but with the Au you push the tube and clamp it on so no problem at all and easier using the Au connections dont have to try and unscrew in a tight place.
Attachment:
File comment: Ef Fuel Rail
100_4560.jpg
100_4560.jpg [ 167.81 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

Ef Fuel Rail with screw end
Attachment:
File comment: Au Fuel Rail
100_4559.jpg
100_4559.jpg [ 126.92 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]

Au fuel Rail with push on ends

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:01 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

Next i thought maybe i can use the Au's throttal body because it looks in better nick and 5 years younger than my ef so undid mine and the Au one and placed it on it lined up ok so put the Au one on then i notice the i think speed adjustment on top of the throttal body had a different plug to my ef manifolds plug but no problems i used the Au fitting for it and just cut the wires and soldered them up you can see the differance in the new throttal body compared to the old ef intake manifold
Attachment:
File comment: Au throttal body
100_4561.jpg
100_4561.jpg [ 175.07 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]

AU Throttal body on Ef manifold

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:07 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

In ther previous you can see i have a LPG fitting on the Trottal body another differance betweent the EF and AU throtal body is the oter rim where the gas fitting oes onto it has a bigger flange around it so i couldnt fit it so out came the angle grinder again handy tool and i simply grinded the outert flange down till it fitted on to it and ten removed it and placed some gasket maker around it to seal it and put it back on no dramas done
Attachment:
File comment: Flange
100_4556.jpg
100_4556.jpg [ 153.32 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:14 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

Well all done except for the cutting of the K frame and will do it the way Josh has done it tomorrow so i hope everyone has been able to follow the instructions with the pictures a little easier i still worried about if i have the Cam Sensor in right or not but will find out i suppose when i go to start it lol well heres the completed motor now and a big thanks to all who help with advice and their own pictures.
Attachment:
100_4563.jpg
100_4563.jpg [ 182.62 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

Attachment:
100_4562.jpg
100_4562.jpg [ 205.39 KiB | Viewed 240 times ]

Sorry Josh i didnt give it a cote of paint like you did

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:01 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

Hi well spent some of today cutting the K Frame and using a stick welder putting a piece of Flat metal in and then welding it all up came up fairly good i thought considering using the stick welder but thats all i have.
Attachment:
100_4567.jpg
100_4567.jpg [ 187.85 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]

Attachment:
100_4569.jpg
100_4569.jpg [ 210.85 KiB | Viewed 221 times ]

Attachment:
100_4570.jpg
100_4570.jpg [ 171.46 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]

Couldnt find any black paint so used green will get some black in a couple of days when i make it to town next.
Attachment:
100_4571.jpg
100_4571.jpg [ 208.73 KiB | Viewed 190 times ]

And the end result the motor is in with room to spare but it looks nice seeing it in have to gat a few more things like a AU drive belt and some fuel line and then kick it in the guts and see if i have that Cam Sensor in the right way or not.

A big thanks to Troyman and Lane (Josh) for all your help i probably couldnt have done it without your contributions and this proves what a great site this can be and i am sure will only get better

Alan

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

didnt see what u did with A/C comp....I dont think the std AU belt will work with an EF A/C comp

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Belts are the same!

I have a combination of EF and AU parts in my belt setup works fine. Mind you I have the vct belt, but the width of the belt and the grooves are the same.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 11  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next