Fordmods Logo

Just starting au in ef conversion 

Page 7 of 11 [ 162 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post subject: Re: Just starting au in ef conversion
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:39 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

Sorted out my Injector problem, I went to the wreckers yesterday and picked up a water pump for a friend $8 for a toyota camry not bad anyway while i was their a AU sedan came in so i raced over and pulled the injectors out i knew they would be ok as that au was smashed in the front.

Anyway this afternoon i pulled the throttle body off then the injector rail and just as i was about to take no 1 injector out i noticed the bloody thing wasnt plugged in what a dope i didnt even noticed it i must be getting old, So i put it all back together and guess what it now runs on petrol ok.

So now after i suppose five days later its all running the way it should.

Alan :oops:

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Sorry to open an older thread but its a great guide for AU into EF/NF/DF. I looked for the threaded piece that the AU knock sensor is fiited onto (SV-Valiant and XR-Lane found it on there engines) but my AU engine just had a hole (must be a different series). I had to weld a large nut (fitted the EF knock sensor) and a small bolt together. Screwed EF sensor in and then screwed whole thing into engine.

CMP (synchroniser) went in no worries following XR-Lanes method.

Attachments:
Knock sensor fitted.jpg
Knock sensor fitted.jpg [ 53.3 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]
Knock sensor bolt-nut mod.jpg
Knock sensor bolt-nut mod.jpg [ 76.31 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:56 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Some photos of the cmp install. The important thing with the cmp is that when you remove the 2 5.5mm bolts and can see the inside, the cup which has a 180 degree raised section and the notch in the alloy housing should line up. The other limiting factor is the length of the wires and the placement of the bracket. Also a 4mm drill bit acts as a great alignment tool. In the MOUNTING CMP photo, you can see the cmp isn't aligned with the bracket mounting hole and either need the bracket modified (as XR-Lane and SV-Valiant showed) or the whole unit turned approx another 25 degrees anti-clockwise (the wiring is at full stretch).

The important thing again is that relationship of the cup/housing (green line on my Mounting CMP photo). Also if your cmp wont drop down fully, rotate the harmonic backwards and forwards and apply a small amount of downwards pressure. As soon as the oil pump drive lines up, it will drop down.

Attachments:
Correct mounting position.jpg
Correct mounting position.jpg [ 73.54 KiB | Viewed 205 times ]
cmp into AU.jpg
cmp into AU.jpg [ 61.54 KiB | Viewed 221 times ]
Mounting CMP.jpg
Mounting CMP.jpg [ 92.08 KiB | Viewed 189 times ]
4mm drill for alignment.jpg
4mm drill for alignment.jpg [ 71.37 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

alfy12 wrote:
Sorry to open an older thread but its a great guide for AU into EF/NF/DF. I looked for the threaded piece that the AU knock sensor is fiited onto (SV-Valiant and XR-Lane found it on there engines) but my AU engine just had a hole (must be a different series). I had to weld a large nut (fitted the EF knock sensor) and a small bolt together. Screwed EF sensor in and then screwed whole thing into engine.

Thats the oil pressure sender I think mate, shone in those pics. the adapter you made looks like its screwing into a broken off oil pressure sender in the block. You did say there was nothing there when you got the engine? maybe the original sensor did brake off and you need to see if you can get it out, if this is the case, so the sensor will bolt in properly without your adapter.

EDIT , sorry on a second look I am wrong that cant be the oil sender. But I would still look into my suggestion. if there is a broken sensor in there, try and get it out with an ezyout.

after removing it your sensor should go in without your adapter

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:16 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

mines the same...
if i removed the stud there is only the m8 threaded hole.. so the larger ef/el sensor wouldnt screw in..

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:17 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

No, it's not the oil pressure sender hole. I fitted a new oil pressure sender to that hole (just forward of the coil pack but higher)just prior to doing the knock sensor. This engine still had the knock sensor fitted (AU doughnut type) and I had to remove it to reveal a small hole near number 5 cylinder. It was in the same place as your photos earlier in this thread.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:22 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

I think it is just something for other AU installers to watch out for. Troyman has confirmed that his had the same setup as mine. Would be great if the Ford engineers didn't change design mid model.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

that has to be another sensor change after series 1 then. Troyman and myself worked out that my AU engine was a series 1 when we where trying to work out the differences with AU BBM's.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:24 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Not sure if mine is series 1,2 or 3. Wrecker wasn't sure himself but I'd say it must be series 2 or 3.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

alfy12 wrote:
Not sure if mine is series 1,2 or 3. Wrecker wasn't sure himself but I'd say it must be series 2 or 3.

I would agree with you there, as i am sure mine is a series 1. It is a good point to bring up, Just so people are aware of it.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:34 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

alfy12 wrote:

did it come with the coil pack??
if the coil pack was the same as the ef its a series 1 if its different its a series 2 or 3..

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:04 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

My Au motor i used for the change was a series 2 motor

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:30 am 
Fordmods Junkie

well that throws another spanner in the works :lol: maybe it was a change made from series 2 to 3 then?

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

series 2 and 3 have the a non bosch coilpack.
Its slightly smaller and has different hi-tension plug and connector.

I'm not sure if they wiring is the same... I believe it is, however can someone confirm this.

The 4 wires are of the same color between models, but in reverse order.

Series 2 also have a MLS gasket, every series 1 i've spotted has had the composite type.
I haven't found a S1 with an MLS yet, But then again, Im not looking everyday.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Im not sure it is the same, I remember ashcook put a AUII xr6 engine into a AUI ute. I think he had problems with it and had to swap back to the EF AUI style coil pack.

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 11  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next