Fordmods Logo

King Springs higher on left on my EB 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: King Springs higher on left on my EB
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

QLD, Australia

has anyone else had issues with uneven rear kings for falcons? i just bought a pair of rear lows and straight out of the box the L/H is nilly 15mm higherthan the right unsprung

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

let the place you bought em know whats happening for a start, so ur covered if you want them replaced.
Other then that just hope that they settle in...

My (King) Superlows sit higher on the left then the right, but thats probly cause they are still sitting on stock shocks.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

QLD, Australia

the thing is im replacing the old springs cos my R/H side was higher. now i get the exact same only vise versa. i think kings are just dodgy and we should all boycot them, ill send them the bill for having the thing reset

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

are u fat?

they could be sagged on the right hand side cause of that :) hehe

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

The new King Springs come labelled LH and RH don't they? - in which case yes there seems to be something wrong - my understanding is that the DRIVER side springs (both front and rear) are indeed supposed to sit a tad higher with no weight on them but what you're describing is the opposite and not correct. Either they're flawed or there's been a labelling error - maybe some new guy in the packing dept at King Springs??

Talk to the people who supplied them or email or even phone King Springs.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I heard the rear are left and right stamped, but the front are not and doesnt matter.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I helped a mate put King lows into his car, and found the same thing. I was quite surprised to find that one spring was a different length than the other. Even though the factory springs are exactly the same height.

Quick call to King help line, and they did say this was correct, and it was why they are labelled LH and RH, so they go in correctly.

Once in, everything was OK. Car handles fine. Can only assume the longer spring is softer at the top and it must do something to balance the car.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

arm79 wrote:
I helped a mate put King lows into his car, and found the same thing. I was quite surprised to find that one spring was a different length than the other. Even though the factory springs are exactly the same height.

Quick call to King help line, and they did say this was correct, and it was why they are labelled LH and RH, so they go in correctly.

Once in, everything was OK. Car handles fine. Can only assume the longer spring is softer at the top and it must do something to balance the car.

Yep, that's what I was referring to - but the taller springs are supposed to be on the driver side (RH) so if the LH springs are taller then that doesn't sound correct. I've always found King springs to have labels attached identifying left or right - so that makes for a pretty easy "human error" of mislabelling to occur IMO.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
arm79 wrote:

Yep, that's what I was referring to - but the taller springs are supposed to be on the driver side (RH) so if the LH springs are taller then that doesn't sound correct. I've always found King springs to have labels attached identifying left or right - so that makes for a pretty easy "human error" of mislabelling to occur IMO.

But, if I remember correctly, and I'll check with my mate, the taller spring was put on the passenger side. I was of the same thought. Taller spring on the drivers side, but it wasnt. That was why I called King direct and asked them the question, only to be told everything was correct. Once it was in, all was good as well.

But thinking along those lines, with taller/stiffer springs to compensate for the driver, the heavy side of the rear is on the passenger side in these cars. Maybe it needs to be compensated for.

I'd give it a week to settle and see what the outcome is then. Thats how long it took my mates to settle 100%.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:
arm79 wrote:

But, if I remember correctly, and I'll check with my mate, the taller spring was put on the passenger side. I was of the same thought. Taller spring on the drivers side, but it wasnt. That was why I called King direct and asked them the question, only to be told everything was correct. Once it was in, all was good as well.

But thinking along those lines, with taller/stiffer springs to compensate for the driver, the heavy side of the rear is on the passenger side in these cars. Maybe it needs to be compensated for.

I'd give it a week to settle and see what the outcome is then. Thats how long it took my mates to settle 100%.

Ahh - hmmm - I'll have to check that mine are in the right way now - I've definitely been working to the taller on driver side rule (yikes!). With the current springs, the front units came assembled so I didn't see them uncompressed - yust fitted RH labelled unit to right side etc. but my rear springs had no labels so I fitted the taller one to the driver side etc. and I have to admit that tho the overall handling is nothing short of brilliant, I had the definite impression the left rear tends to squat down more when turning right than the right rear does when turning left. I might have to pull my rear springs back out and put the taller one on the LH side!

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
arm79 wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:
arm79 wrote:

Ahh - hmmm - I'll have to check that mine are in the right way now - I've definitely been working to the taller on driver side rule (yikes!). With the current springs, the front units came assembled so I didn't see them uncompressed - yust fitted RH labelled unit to right side etc. but my rear springs had no labels so I fitted the taller one to the driver side etc. and I have to admit that tho the overall handling is nothing short of brilliant, I had the definite impression the left rear tends to squat down more when turning right than the right rear does when turning left. I might have to pull my rear springs back out and put the taller one on the LH side!

Fronts are exactly the same spring. There is no left and right. Not like the older X-Series and stuff. Its the rears that are different.

I am sure the longer goes on the passenger side. I 100% remember questioning it when we put them in, as it did sound stupid.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

fuel tanks on the left people ;)

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Andrew J wrote:

Depends on which end you are looking at the car from... :wink:

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Andrew J wrote:

Yeah, as sson as the info about it being LH rear springs being taller that was the first thing I thought of - as in it makes sense as the tank's on that side.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]