Fordmods Logo

Large Spanner? Rock? Aliens with a grudge? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

hottiel wrote:
in relation to your hole,you should have just stuck some hair around it,somebody would have plugged it!!!

You're just to damn hot for your own good...

xbgt2dr with acronyms wrote:
all i can say is W.T.F nice repair job tho !!! :)

Thanks, and WTF was all I could think of when first seeing it too...

flash97 wrote:
Unbelievable, What a hole!!!, Its huge, those plastic damn PCV Valves should be outlawed!!

Yeahp. Although... I do remember car doing a god almighty backfire once for no particular reason, so could have happened to previous owner too...

StealthyOldAu wrote:
I'd put money on it being from the outside. I had the same hole caused by my belt tensioner exploding and smashing the arm type looking thing which normally hangs out where the hole is.
"arm type looking thing" is the technical term for the thing that sticks out on most timing covers for lining up top dead center.

Now, here's an interesting thought. If the belt runs near that position (which it does) and something was sitting on it (like a large spanner, rock or dislodged UFO landed gear) then chances are it would take off that incredibly weak looking attachment that sticks out the front.

On first viewing it did look like something had flown in and hit it... The marks that others have suggested mean it's come from the inside may have been amplified by the start of the cleanup and porting tool use...

Hmmmppphh.... Don't know what to do right now - but long term will definately pull the whole timing lot off and get it replaced.

By the time I get that far I may have learnt enough to do it myself. Only Ford phreaks I know are on this site, and you guys are just too damn far away to rescue me if I stuff it!

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

hot-04l wrote:
in relation to your hole,you should have just stuck some hair around it,somebody would have plugged it!!!

lol what a pissa!!! :lol: :lol:

LETS GET THE FALCON HELL OUTA HERE!!!

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

are you running gas, heard a story from a mate.. he was running gas and the mixer s**t it self and it popped and f@rt and bang blue a hole in the timing cover...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

NO, running petrol... The gas thing you are speaking of is, I think, a direct result of a backfire blowing the plastic PCV surround to bits and releasing the metal ball bearing into the top of the engine, whereby it works its way down the timing chain, around the sprocket and slingshots itself through the timing cover.

Could have happened that way, but have a funny feeling it a more external source. Things at the front of the motor appear to have been changed - the crank seal looked like a new item and after hearing about all the troubles people have had pulling the balancer off the front of the crank shaft... Well -- My one came off very easily, which leads me to believe that someone has had it off and back on in the last 50,000km....

I am leaning back towards someone dropping a tool or doing something silly like putting a wrench on the balancer bolt and using the starter motor to get it unwinding...!

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

what ever it was,the cover still comes off to check the chain and gear,also timing marks and a cover,we finished the crystal balling,many ways to get it,only one to fix it-work.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Rightiho Hands me old mate... Rightiho.

Here's a photo of another EF motor I own, and look at the size of that timing log out the front. It's amazing more of them have not been ripped off. It's bloody asking for trouble that is!

Attachments:
File comment: Crystal Ball Gazing
crystalball.jpg
crystalball.jpg [ 33.28 KiB | Viewed 565 times ]

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
Rightiho Hands me old mate... Rightiho.

Here's a photo of another EF motor I own, and look at the size of that timing log out the front. It's amazing more of them have not been ripped off. It's bloody asking for trouble that is!
i cant say as mine are v8s -v6s-250 xf-186s holden,but there all the same-machines,made to be broken and repaired,dont have a new overhead cam motor--old skool :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but they should be ok,xcabbi has 1.1 million ks on one of his,so who knows whats possible?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

All good- Was amazed when I saw the size of that bloody gapping thing out the front...

I pulled the rocker cover off the Fairmont Sedan and found a nice thing... I'd say this may have had something to do with why the motor died....!

Turns out I was wrong about the Futura AUT having a wierd old head on it. It is the same as this Fairmont 94 head. I am now wondering if my original EF Fairmont 95 was the weird headed one. It was definitely different from these two.

The most notable difference is the arms that push valves down, but the lip of metal where the cover seals is different too. On my original white EF Fairmont stationwagon this bit of alloy had a rebate in it so the rubber seal could push into it (as well as into the cover). As these photos show, this EF Fairmont doesn't.

Next time I am out visiting the white Fairmont I will take a photo and remember to ask you lot who know what your doing.......

Attachments:
rocker_cover.jpg
rocker_cover.jpg [ 85.5 KiB | Viewed 563 times ]

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

wtf is that peanut butter,is it oily?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I think it isn't peanut butter. It is oily. It is also watery. And the two have separated a little - There are water beads on top of the peanut buttery crud.

I guess someone has tried to stop an oil leak by putting some additive or other into the water system. I guess this as there are solid clear hunks of water in the top of the thermostat thing. You can just see a couple in the photo at bottom right. - The white translucent build up on the interior from the gasket sealant (red).

Those solid hunks of water seem to be what you'd get if you got water crystals for your soil as your plants kept drying out.

Guess this water additive, whatever the hell it is, has blown through into the oil system and... As they say, the rest is history.

Only paid $400 for the whole car, with real tidy mags and tyres and all the interior etc etc etc. Sold a few things out the engine bay, a few things like mirrors, lights, bonnet, grill and a door or two... Made $1000 on it if you don't count the cost of storage.

Shame to see the inside of it like that. What a waste of a good car...

Still, discovered today that it has a brand new radiator in the front too!!! $400 well spent I say! I even got an almost brand new battery out of it...

Okidoki...

The peanut butter stuff is more airated than real peanut butter - let's say it's rust, water, water additive, oil....

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thats what i thought it was,so some internal parts may be CACTUS,OR A REAL CLEAN UP

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

The whole damn motor can be written off this car... Got the oil pressure sender off it and a few other bits... The leads look like good new leads so keeping them along with oil cooler, etc etc etc. All the bolt on bits look in good condition actually. I think the head may have a huge crack (warp?) but before that it ran fine. The water pump looks to be a newish one...

Never mind. The peanut butter machine is purely here as a general interest item - Dead peanut crusher for sale?!

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
The whole damn motor can be written off this car... Got the oil pressure sender off it and a few other bits... The leads look like good new leads so keeping them along with oil cooler, etc etc etc. All the bolt on bits look in good condition actually. I think the head may have a huge crack (warp?) but before that it ran fine. The water pump looks to be a newish one...

Never mind. The peanut butter machine is purely here as a general interest item - Dead peanut crusher for sale?!
somethings will be ok,head and rocker gear,timming gear,not sure about internals,crankshaft-etc,but as you said you had plenty of parts from it,so its a win.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2