Leads or Coilpack? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Leads or Coilpack?
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

okay so I'm still having problems with my series 2 AU falcon. Basically whats happening is the engine has a miss at idle and under load. when i put my foot down all i get is hesitation and a complete lack of power. It is okay if you just baby it along and don't accelerate hard. At highway cruising speeds I get lurching at a constant acceleration (feels like im taking my foot of the accelerator and then pressing it on again).

The problem seems to get worse as the car warms up. It can also be difficult to start after not starting it for a day or so and i have to push on the accelerator while cranking to get it going.

Iv'e tried to check the leads, and what Ive noticed is when i pull the lead caps off the sparkplugs while the engine is running, cylinders 1, 3, 5, & 6 i can hear (clicking sound) and see it arching when i hover the end of the lead just above the sparkplug, however on cylinders 2 and 4 it does not. We have a second AU2 falcon thats running fine and i did the same on it and all 6 leads arced when hovered above the plug.

Does this sound like it would be the leads or the coilpack? or should i just replace both at the same time? Also is there anything else it could be? could it possibly be the fuel pump?

Any help much appreciated, its doing my head in :(

Post subject: Re: Leads or Coilpack?
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:57 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Sounds like your Coil Pack is on the way out, Could be leads but sounds more like coil pack. Change your leads and coil pack.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Yes it does sound an awful lot like leads or coil pack. I had the same issue with my EF. However as I changed both the leads and coil pack at the same time so I can't give you a definite 'it was A or B' but it sorted the issue of hesitation and lurching. (Feels almost like trans slip)
I had also changed the fuel filter initially as I thought it was blocked and the source of the problem.. but no.

Best advice I can offer is to swap the leads from the 2nd AU to the one with the problem as a method of diagnosis. If it goes away, cool! You just need a new set of leads. If that doesn't clear it up you need to replace the coil pack.. and it's in a prick of a spot. :)

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

+1 to swapping two leads from the "good" AU2. It is more likely to be the leads.

The coil pack is basically three coils, each coil firing two cylinders that are 360 crank degress apart in the firing order. The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. If one of the coils was failing, it would tend to affect the pairs 1 and 6, 5 and 2, or 3 and 4. As cylinders 2 and 4 are fired by separate coils (and 5 and 3 on the same coils are OK), it is unlikely to be the coil pack.

Hope this helps.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys, turns out was the leads. Replaced them yesterday problem solved :)

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon AU2 2000

NT, Australia

Hi,

My AU2 6cyl, has a similar fault the engine has a miss at idle along with hesitation and missing if you try to accelerate under load. After slowly accelerating to 80km/hr there is a slight miss which can be felt.
I have replaced the
Fuel / Air filter last week - No change
Leads, plugs and ignition coil pack I replaced - early last year was running good till now (I have ordered another coil pack - in case previous one has failed)
The coil pack is easy to replace from the bottom anyway

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 97 EL Sapphire II + 95 EF GLI

NSW, Australia

I've got a similar issue in my EF. At a stop when I boot it I get nothing power wise then as we get going and I pass maybe 50kmh the car just out of nowhere gains all the power it has and roars. But down there nothing. I've changed nearly everything I can think of to no avail.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:59 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUII Fairmont- Tickford enhanced

TAS, Australia

FYI guys, my sons wagon (AU2 forte) had miss issues, new coil pack, leads & battery did nothing.

Turns out the 3 pins in the plug on the throttle position censor were breaking contact causing a random miss fire.

Pulled the plug, twisted the pins off centre & plugged back in. Problem gone.

To diagnose, just jiggle the plug with engine idling.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]