Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

now a sticky thread....

Post subject: Re: Lifter replacement on Au Falcon howto with (lots of)pictures
Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:04 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU XR6

NSW, Australia

On that note I fixed up the loosen/tighten order and added the tightening torque for the rocker cover bolts ;->

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

This thread has been a massive help. Just did my lifters over the weekend; couldn't have managed without this guide as a reference!

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

Just a tip to add to your post....

Before you install the new valve lifters, soak them in oil.

And make sure they are in the right way or they'll tick

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I didn't bother soaking them, I just put a shot of oil in the top of the engine and all the ticking went away in < 10 seconds.
the lifters have to go in with the "wobbly" bit down or its not going to work at all, whats important is the shims have to go in the right way too.

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

Valen wrote:
I didn't bother soaking them, I just put a shot of oil in the top of the engine and all the ticking went away in < 10 seconds.
the lifters have to go in with the "wobbly" bit down or its not going to work at all, whats important is the shims have to go in the right way too.

Yeah I suppose you can do that, it works obviously as you have done it.

That's just me though I like to pay alot of attention to detail, to make sure I don't have to do things twice :P

Cheers,
Corbin

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F6 Typhoon

NSW, Australia

I just replaced all 12 lifters with new ones (had to add another shim in each cos of cam) but there is still i think one that is still noisy as F**K. I soaked them all in oil to begin with and the shims are in the right way with the blade at the top and the three holes on the lifter side.. Ive had the damn things out of the car so many times this week im sick of it what am i doing wrong??

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 pm 

NSW, Australia

how long are you running it for???

ive fitted new lifters that were noisy after instalation for about 100km of normal driving before they quietened down.. on other cases ive fitted lifters that were quiet after 10 mins...

did you change your oil when you fitted the new lifters??

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

if your certain that all the crap was cleaned out of the rocker arm hole (broken old retainers) and that the top shim clipped into the rocker arm properly, and you have oil pressure along with new oil, then id say one of the lifters are a dud

i think you mentioned in another thread the mechanic done the job originally?...... are you sure he didnt drop one into the oil gallery, and quietly re-used an old lifter so you wouldnt know any different?

run the car for a few minutes to build pressure in all the lifters and turn car off, then pull the rocker cover off, and bang your fist on top of each rocker arm........ if any of them have movement & tick then the lifter is fooked & not holding pressure

in my old EF it took me 10 secs to work out which lifter was causing the tick with that method

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Check its not a leak in an exhaust manifold or something like that, they can make a ticking noise I have been lead to believe.

When you first start the car you should get ticking for a few seconds as the lifters that were compressed while the engine was off fill with oil.

I am getting a similar but different noise after that, which I am presuming is an exhaust issue.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
how long are you running it for???

ive fitted new lifters that were noisy after instalation for about 100km of normal driving before they quietened down.. on other cases ive fitted lifters that were quiet after 10 mins...

did you change your oil when you fitted the new lifters??

Its got new oil Castrol GTX3 15W-40 cars done about 200km but i suppose the lifters have been out about 4 times through then. its got low oil pressure which i thought was probably the lifters causing it somehow because i had no lifter noise before, and the noise is definatly worse when hot and louder at 2000RPM, it sounds like it goes from one lifter to all of them. ( but may be just tbecause its at higher RPM)

FordFairmont wrote:
if your certain that all the crap was cleaned out of the rocker arm hole (broken old retainers) and that the top shim clipped into the rocker arm properly, and you have oil pressure along with new oil, then id say one of the lifters are a dud

i think you mentioned in another thread the mechanic done the job originally?...... are you sure he didnt drop one into the oil gallery, and quietly re-used an old lifter so you wouldnt know any different?

run the car for a few minutes to build pressure in all the lifters and turn car off, then pull the rocker cover off, and bang your fist on top of each rocker arm........ if any of them have movement & tick then the lifter is fooked & not holding pressure

in my old EF it took me 10 secs to work out which lifter was causing the tick with that method

Yeah i didnt wanna take up the wade cams thread with my lifter problems. Im 100% certain there is no crap in there whatsoever ive had them out that many times and looked and cleaned. they are pretty good where i took it and the lifters look identical to when i bought them

Again though i have low oil pressure which i thought was the lifters causing it. But maybe something else... wouldnt be a clogged filter they have a bypass dont they? be a bit strange for the oil pump to let go right when we had the engine apart. The lifters are also holding oil when i pullled them out of the car today they were rock solid. Ill try banging on the rocker arms and see if i find anything.

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:55 pm 

NSW, Australia

low oil pressure wont help the situation, lifters wont cause low oil pressure, worn bearings or oil pump will..

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:36 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Ive moved my question to a new thread to avoid hijacking this one:

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/ef-valvetrain-noise-after-977b-install-and-au-head-gasket-t98552.html

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

I just did this to my Magna, it took a bit longer than this mainly because i had 24 in total 12 in each bank.

I replaced all 12 in the rear bank with brand new ones for $8.40 each. As for the front i cleaned them all out in diesel pumped them to fill them with diesel aswell, and then inserted them back in the motor. Also i have found if you dont clean the rocker shafts out aswell you are likely to get more tapping noise due to the oil feeders in the rocker shaft getting blocked.

I made a doco over on a Mitsubishi forum so if anyone would like to look at it.

http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=84894

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

You can use a magnet to pull the lifters/shims out also.

My advice is to put a rag in each of the four oil galleries - this way if any of the lifters/shims fall out you can just pick them up with a magnet. Has saved me numerous times especially if the motor has a reground cam (and hence an extra shim)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next