Fordmods Logo

Lighten flywheel 11.8kg to 9.4kg. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Lighten flywheel 11.8kg to 9.4kg.
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

I understand some people have concerns about lightening stock flywheels but that is not what I am asking, many reputable performance machine shops provide this service. I also understand the pro's and con's of lightening a flywheel and that there are after market flywheels available $$$$.

The weight of my EF XR6 flywheel is 11.8kg I want to reduce this to 9.4kg a 20% reduction, not to radical but should make a diference. From what I can understand they dont remove material from the outside or the center but remove a constant depth trench from around the mid section. I will be getting it re-faced and balanced coupled to the pressure plate.

Has any one done or got pics of a machined 4.0l flywheel, because I want to make sure the machine shop knows what they are doing and can explain to me where they will be removing the material to reduce the weight. Cheers.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Post subject: Re: Lighten flywheel 11.8kg to 9.4kg.
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Bionic BA MkII XR6

Power: 175 rwkw

WA, Australia

What gains do you get by doing this?
Responsiveness?
Marginal power increase?

Interested to know

BIONIC 2005 BA Mk2 XR6 - XR8 Snorkle - Typhoon 2nd CAI - K & N Panel Filter - polished BBM intake - polished ceramic coated Pacemaker 4490 headers - Magnaflow 3.5" high flow Cat - Full mandrel stainless exh syst - 4speed SSS -BPT Custom tune - 20% UDrive - XR8 Calipers/rotors - 175 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Weight is generally taken from the outside of flywheels as this is where the biggest gains are made. It's not so much the weight being reduced, its the rotational inertia (resistance to acceleration), and the best way to do this is remove weight from the f@rt points. Its this that allows the engine to spin up faster.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AUII XR6, EBII XR6

SA, Australia

Might be a silly question but does that mean you will use more fuel as the flywheel won't have the same momentum behind it keeping it spinning, or are we talking really marginal difference?

EBII S XR6: 5 Speed short shifter, 4499s, gutted cat, 2.5" Redback, K&N Pod.
AUII XR6: 5 speed, King Super Low Rears.

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED futura

NSW, Australia

is there nothing off the shelf to suit what youre after?

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I don't see why an E series lightened flywheel would be much different in looks to a lightened flywheel from something else like a red motor holden flywheel. Usually the weight get's taken from around the outside edge, in a circular pattern, but leaving where the threads are untouched.

I have also seen some weight taken off the engine side of a flywheel before, but not a lot.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

*** EDIT *** Something i found googling...

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH falcon ute

NSW, Australia

you can fit a ba/bf flywheel and clutch.
you can get a kit from mal wood.

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Any neutral balanced 302 windsor flywheel will fit. it jut mean using an XR8 clutch.

about half way down.
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/what-clutches-are-best-for-a-manual-falcon-t27556.html?hilit=yella%20terra&start=20

On looking, it seems Yella Terra don't do the light weight one anymore

jegs do a 20lbs (9kg) with a 50once balance. For $US75, then have it balanced to neutral once you get it.
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Flywhee ... 8/10002/-1

Summit have the ford racing one 21lbs (9.5kg) for $US92, same deal would need balancing.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6375-B302/

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH falcon ute

NSW, Australia

they are very cheap do you have any clue how much it would cost to get it balanced.
how much did Yella Terra one weight?

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks for the replies, I called into my local engine reconditioner today and they do lighten flywheels. Doing some calculations of my own, material will have to be removed from the front and back to acheive a 2kg reduction, on the clutch side it will be very similar to the picture (BT) that ToranaGuy provided, (thanks) this will reduce weight buy approx 550 grams, on the engine side a 10mm deep trench 55mm wide will need to be removed to reduce weight by 1400grams so very close to 2kg. I will be dropping the flywheel of this week so we will see how it goes and what it costs.

Attachments:
File comment: Flywheel side.
P1030788.JPG
P1030788.JPG [ 181.7 KiB | Viewed 479 times ]
File comment: Engine side
P1030784.JPG
P1030784.JPG [ 166.13 KiB | Viewed 486 times ]

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No worries mate. I'll be interested to see the final result of the falcon flywheel being lightened, and the cost of it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

1Rik_Biel wrote:
What gains do you get by doing this?
Responsiveness?
Marginal power increase?

Interested to know

Quote:
The are no negative effects to lightening your stock flywheel unlike replacing it with an ultra-lightweight Aluminum flywheel. Most manufacturers make the stock flywheel very heavy. This makes the engine very smooth and enables it to retain energy at part throttle cruise and up long grades for better fuel economy.

An Aluminum flywheel goes completely the other direction with almost no weight. This lets the engine rev up very quickly and allows the engine to work easier due to the reduced weight spinning around on the back of the crank. This is fine as long as you are at full throttle and wide open throttle all the time like in a Road Race or Drag Race only car. As soon as you let off the gas the engine RPM drops instantly and the car slows down. In a road car this causes surging and bucking at cruise speeds and poor driveability and clutch engagement.

A lightened stock unit on the other hand gives you the best of both worlds. It is a compromise between the overly heavy OEM unit and a Too light Racing unit. You get the benefits of both with none of the bad qualities.

Turbo cars are exceptionally critical to flywheel weight. Too light a flywheel will make the car rev faster and possibly come on boost faster but that is only half the issue. When you let off the gas to shift the car will drop off of boost just as quickly causing a poor transition when you come back on the throttle.

We have found that a lightened stock unit will generally be 8-12 lbs. lighter than the original yet still give the driveability needed for street use. The Mitsubishi Starion is an extreme example of an overweight stock flywheel. They are 33-35 lbs stock. We lighten them down to 20-21 lbs with nothing but positive effects and no loss of strength or reliability.

All the weight is taken off the back side of the flywheel so the surface is still the same height and your clutch still fits and works the same. We try to remove the weight as much from the center of mass as possible and leave a ring of weight around the outside for better inertia. We keep the center hub thick for extra strength.

Quote:
How does a lightweight flywheel work? Amongst the majority, there are two schools of thought concerning light flywheels. The first is that they do not contribute to power output. The second is that they do. Which thought is correct? In fact both, in a way, are correct.

If we measured the power output of an engine first with light flywheel and then again with the standard part on an engine dyno, no change in power will be seen to occur. At first it appears that the light flywheel has done nothing and was a total waste of cash. This is not the case. A dyno that shows max power at constant revs does not demonstrate what happens to an engine's power output in real life situations - like acceleration. If an engine is accelerated on a dyno (we are talking about a rate of around 2000rpm a second ) it would show a power output of around 20%-25% less than at the constant rev state.

The reason for this is that when accelerating a vehicle the engine not only has to push the total mass of the car but the internal components of the engine need to be accelerated also. This tends to absorb more power as the extra power is used accelerating the internal mass of the engine components and is why a motor accelerating on a dyno will produce less power than at constant revs. Also it must be remembered that the rate of acceleration on the engine internals is much greater that the rest of the car. This would then suggest that by lightening the flywheel, less power would be required to accelerate it and therefore more power would be available to push the car along.

Now, it may seen unbelievable that by removing a few pounds from the flywheel a noticeable difference to a 3000lb+ car’s acceleration will be made. In fact the difference is quite noticeable and the secret behind this is hidden within the gearbox. Everyone knows that cars accelerate at a greater rate in low gears, this is because a car’s gear box basically a mechanical lever and just like when using a leaver to lift a heavy object, the gearbox reduces the mass of the car that the engine sees. For example, in first gear an engine will see the car's mass as only around say 250lbs but the engine internal mass would still remain around 45lbs.
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/h ... _works.htm

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Picked up the flywheel, weight is reduced by 1.5kg and cost $138. Didn't take any material of the pressure plate side the machinest said they do with billet flywheels but not cast. Ended up taking the engine side 6.5mm down flush with the ring gear (1.22kg) and another 2mm trench around the middle (.245kg). A lot of weight has been lost towards the outside of the flywheel and will help reducing inertia, probably where most of the gains will come from.

Attachments:
P1030794.JPG
P1030794.JPG [ 169.67 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]
P1030793.JPG
P1030793.JPG [ 201.33 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Looks good dude, and very reasonable cost! Sounds like something i should have done to my flywheel next time the gearbox is out to do the clutch.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

I wish a flywheel would fit on our metal lathe :(

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next