Fordmods Logo

Low oil pressure 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Low oil pressure
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Over the past two weeks since ive had my car serviced it has developed a few little problems. Ford adjusted the base idle (F$@king $25.00) now when i pull up to lights or an intersection the idle is all over the place. Some times its way over 1000rpm and takes a few minutes to settle and other times its fine. And then you get other times that it dips too low.
Sometimes u can be sitting at the lights idleing fine; then the idle jumps up that hard and fast that i think im going to hit the car infront of me.

Also my oil pressure drops while im in gear at the lights. It goes to just the first line off the orange. Its fine when you start driving again, but soon as you start to slow down the oil pressure comes down too.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.
By the way the car is an EL I6, auto with 140,000km

Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

XRLENT6 wrote:
Over the past two weeks since ive had my car serviced it has developed a few little problems. Ford adjusted the base idle (F$@king $25.00) now when i pull up to lights or an intersection the idle is all over the place. Some times its way over 1000rpm and takes a few minutes to settle and other times its fine. And then you get other times that it dips too low.
Sometimes u can be sitting at the lights idleing fine; then the idle jumps up that hard and fast that i think im going to hit the car infront of me.

Also my oil pressure drops while im in gear at the lights. It goes to just the first line off the orange. Its fine when you start driving again, but soon as you start to slow down the oil pressure comes down too.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.
By the way the car is an EL I6, auto with 140,000km

Firstly don't trust the oil pressure gauge, they are known to be problematic. If you are really worried then get someone with a external gauge to check the real pressure.
The other thing that will affect the oil pressure is the oil grade and condition of the oil. I use 20w-50 my car has 190,000 on the clock, newer engines should use thinner oil.

Erratic idling may be caused by the Idle speed control being dirty. Try cleaning this and the throttle body.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Any idea what viscosity the wizz-kids down at Ford put in there? Compared to what you were running before?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Any idea what viscosity the wizz-kids down at Ford put in there? Compared to what you were running before?

Maybe they used baby oil :)

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EF II XR6

NSW, Australia

My oil pressure always drops when the engine is idling, i thought that was normal?

My engine leaks a fair bit of oil so i check the level every week, and no matter how much is in there the pressure drops to about the same mark when the revs die, i just sssumed that was normal. am i wrong?

Who needs an XR6 when you've got a corolla wagon :sad:

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cosham wrote:
My oil pressure always drops when the engine is idling, i thought that was normal?

My engine leaks a fair bit of oil so i check the level every week, and no matter how much is in there the pressure drops to about the same mark when the revs die, i just sssumed that was normal. am i wrong?

As said these gauges are highly inaccurate, and can do strange thing which can often be related to a poor earth.
That said too thin an oil will drop your oil pressure.
Oil pressure will vary with revs, so if its already low it can drop right off at idle.

Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure
Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:07 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

XRLENT6 wrote:
Over the past two weeks since ive had my car serviced it has developed a few little problems. Ford adjusted the base idle (F$@king $25.00) now when i pull up to lights or an intersection the idle is all over the place....

I would suggest you go back to the ford dealer who serviced the car and ask them to fix the idle problem. Then when they present you with a bill for adjusting the idle speed and/or cleaning the ISC valve, speak to the manager and ask him to explain why you would need to do this every two weeks or so (as they fixed the idle speed some weeks ago). He will be quite embarased and should back down from charging you very quickly. Then you can bring up this issue of oil pressure (assuming it was OK before they changed it) and get oil change with more appropriate grade of oil done at their cost :)

A mate used this principle to get his mx5 gearbox rebuilt after changing the oil at each service three times in a row.

Cheers.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Madmax strange things from the oil pressure guage, my EF has 120 000 kms on the clock, and I use Magnatec 10w/40. I live 40 mins from work and when I get there my pressure guages reads just on top of the orange block (that means low pressure) at idle in gear. When I get home from work the guage sits just a touch below the first orange line at idle in gear. I cant work out why, the needle for the temp guage is in the same spot so theres no temp difference. When I'm driving it sits at almost the second orange line no matter what RPM I'm sitting on (higher RPM more pressure). The oil is only 3000 kms old and has'nt been cooked, I thought about moving up to 20w/50 but yeah can you trust this guage. It has the idiot light on it and that has'nt lit up yet. But its the pressure difference at work at idle compared to at home that I cant work out yet. :?: :roll: :?:

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

From my personal experiences i found a few things.

a) Decent Oil. Penrite, Penzzoil, Competition Gulf-Western
b) Faulty Oil Sender (Located passenger side engine block below plenum/upper intake manifold). Alternatively Bad Ground sometimes too.
c) Engine Flush, do a engine oil flush once every 2 oil changes and do not just change oil every 5000km if you have oil pressure probs, spend that $5 and 5 mins extra and change the filter.

Run a thicker oil if its that bad, or get a stubby oil filter which is the same just STUBBY!

Thats basically what i found, otherwise i mean could be your bottom end bearings or maybe as i said.. try a clean start, do an engine oil flush (Nulon maybe?) then some penzzoil or penrite with a new filter and see how you go, if problem persists see your local practictioner... LOL

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Found my problem, I started to think whats the difference between me driving to work and driving home (I do nightshift) its headlights. When driving to work at night the headlights after a while seem to pull the oil guage needle down. No other guage mind you, it has also gone as low as to bring on the oil pressure light. But as one person reminded me if that was the case your engine would be seized. Its not and I can also pull the needle down by turning on the rear demister. Bad earth can someone tell me how the sender screws into the block. I've had a number of Fords dodgy wiring seems to be common. I think they should avertise it when they sell their cars. Still can someone tell me where this bad earth is please. :shock:

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:29 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Seems madmax was on the ball :)

Cluster ground is conected to the earth strap under the dash 'top cover' (on an EF) but doubt that this earth point would be a problem unless the windscreen leaks :)

Start by cleaning the battery ground wire at the battery negative and at the ground point (other end of this black cable). Then i would check and clean both ends of any engine earth strap(s). Check and clean the alternator connections and then go for a night drive to see if that has improved the situation.

If not, get your alternator output and battery checked and again try a night drive.

Other than that, there are just too many earth connections on the vehicle
list them all. Let us know how it goes :)

Cheers

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

bracks wrote:
Found my problem, I started to think whats the difference between me driving to work and driving home (I do nightshift) its headlights. When driving to work at night the headlights after a while seem to pull the oil guage needle down. No other guage mind you, it has also gone as low as to bring on the oil pressure light. But as one person reminded me if that was the case your engine would be seized. Its not and I can also pull the needle down by turning on the rear demister. Bad earth can someone tell me how the sender screws into the block. I've had a number of Fords dodgy wiring seems to be common. I think they should avertise it when they sell their cars. Still can someone tell me where this bad earth is please. :shock:

Exactly as I've described in other threads. I helped mine by pulling out the air filter box, and unscrewing the earth bolt behind the passenger headlight. Mine was green with oxide, I sanded the bolt, and the body of the car it touched when bolted in. Improved the guage pressure quite a bit.
Notice when you load the electrical system up with things like air-con, high beams etc, your oil needle goes down, and around about this time the battery guage needle is dropping slightly too. Maybe around 11.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]