Fordmods Logo

lpg issues 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: lpg issues
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, been looking through the forums for the past couple days trying to find a solution, to no avail so hopefully i can get some help.

I've got a 96 EF on dual fuel, the problem im having is that it stalls on lpg when going from a standing start. i tried adjusting the mixture on the converter and now it starts, runs for a few seconds then stalls. i replaced the isc last week which seems to have fixed a bad idle problem, but it just doesnt go on lpg. Any pressure on the accelerator makes the revs drop and it stalls. Petrol works fine.

Probably have to go get it tuned next week, but just wondering if there is anything i could do myself.

thanks in advance

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

check the stepper motor if one is fitted.
just remove it and turn ignition to the on position, don't turn it over, and the motr should move.

i have this problem now, with same symptoms and this is the problem i have found, will be changing it over easter.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

There is a hose going from the converter to the throttle body. Is this where the stepper motor is located? It has a plug with wiring going to it and next to it there is a bolt sorta thing with a rounded end on the bottom which screws in and out. I'll go out and have a look

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok well i took that bit off and turned the ignition on and it didnt move, so im guessing it needs to be replaced?

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Is it factory gas, or aftermarket? If its aftermarket, a pic might help also.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

aftermarket, i'll get a pic

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok i cant get a pic just yet, have to wait for batteries, but i tried starting it and it runs for about 10 secs or so then stops. Just after it stops theres a noise like pressure being released thats coming from the intake piping above the airbox. any ideas?

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

may also be bad gas?
where did you get your last fill?
I know of an outlet twice I have gotten gas and my car was a pig till I used it up.
The stepper motor is on the converter ( round thing with the gas pipe going into it.)
it will have a wire and possibly an earth connection.
what brand converter do you have?

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok well i dont think its the gas quality because i have filled up many times from different places since its been heppening. the brand of converter i couldnt see anywhere but it does say its made in italy. pics coming soon

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok guys i put up pics in my gallery. thnx

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

im thinking it may even be the pcv valve. i've just got to find out how to remove it so i can check it. anyone done it before?

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Don't bother with the PCV, your problem is an LPG specific component, since you say the petrol system works fine. One thing you can check with the PCV is that it is a metal bodied(not plastic) one.

Your safety cutout could be playing up - it controls the converter and the tank lockoff valves.
You can test this by applying 12v to the converter lockoff solenoid - 12v will then be fed to the rear tank lockoff as well (just check it with a meter to confirm). Try and start the car - if it runs normally, that's your culprit.

Just be careful as well, as too much LPG may cause a backfire - so make your 12v source ignition feed.

If the above fixes the problem, check the connections to the safety cutout box, as the tacho input might be loose, causing the cutout to assume the engine has stopped, thus shutting the valves.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

any idea where to find the safety cutout box? i'll have a look again over the next few days and then get it checked out. thanks for all the replies =)

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:08 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Being an aftermarket system, it can be anywhere the installer chooses to fit it. Have a look around the engine bay for a black plastic box with an LED on it - possibly on the firewall.
Alternatively, follow the converter lock off solenoid power wire back - it should go to the box, and should be reasonably easy to follow, probably just loom tied or taped to other looms.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Post subject: Re: lpg issues
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

gate_21 wrote:
Hey guys, been looking through the forums for the past couple days trying to find a solution, to no avail so hopefully i can get some help.

I've got a 96 EF on dual fuel, the problem im having is that it stalls on lpg when going from a standing start. i tried adjusting the mixture on the converter and now it starts, runs for a few seconds then stalls. i replaced the isc last week which seems to have fixed a bad idle problem, but it just doesnt go on lpg. Any pressure on the accelerator makes the revs drop and it stalls. Petrol works fine.

Probably have to go get it tuned next week, but just wondering if there is anything i could do myself.

thanks in advance

Yeah im suffering from the same problems with my XR6, altough the only way ive fixed mine is getting rid of the leaks in the intake (quite a few) changing the plugs and adjusting the idle etc. Once ive changed the leads over im pretty sure that will have the problem fixed.

What condition are the plugs and leads like on your car? mabe its in need of replacement....

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next