Fordmods Logo

lumpy idle/vibration in gear 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: lumpy idle/vibration in gear
Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

hey guys I got my EB II fairmont daily running again thanks to the help of everyone on this forum!! It's running mint except sometimes when warm and stopped at the lights it has a lumpy/knock-like vibration at idle. I've noticed a lot of e-series have this problem but it's much much worse than usual. It's only when in gear (P or N it idles fine) and only seems to happen once the car's warmed up. It's also intermittent and hasn't done it at all sometimes even warm :? , it seems to have run much better after a good cruise on the freeway, but when I started it up today once warm it returned lumpy again.

I did a diagnostics test and nothing came up, the timing is perfect but it's also using a lot of fuel (trip com says 18-19L old motor was 12-13l), there's no vacuum leaks and the entire ignition setup is only a year old. and I don't think the ecu can cause this idle problem like it can in the ef's? I'll try and get a spare map/o2 but the current ones are pretty new and gave 12-13l with the old motor..
the only thing left I can think of is perhaps the headgasket or the new dizzy/leads/coil are faulty. The other thing I was worried about is I've heard the torque converter can cause this exact problem but I'm not sure how. Engine mounts are all new as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]