Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: major service
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

Hey guys,

Im replacing my rear main seal this week and I was thinking at the same time I might aswell replace the welsh plugs, the cars just clocked over 230,000 so I figure I might aswell replace them now, while the box is out. What else would ya's recommend to change while im at it? I might aswell do the headgasket (nothing wrong with it, but might aswell do it) So I was wondering how much welsh plugs are and what they are and what they do? and how many there is? lol

What else do ya's think I should do while I am at it? I was thinking of just buying one of marks $1500 stage 1 kits, As I would end up with more power, and a new motor..

Whats your opinions.. Also, when I do the headgasket, what headgasket is better EF/EL or AU metal one?

Cheers team :D

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Fairlane (1968)

VIC, Australia

at those kays i would be replacing heater tap, water hoses (as many as you can afford, fully flushing coolant system, new thermostat, plugs, leads, filters (fuel and air)....umm, i would probably go with the gasket that is meant for that motor, you could get an after market one if your willin to spend a bit.

James

http://www.msnusers.com/picturesofyourcars/zb.msnw <----My baby

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ZB351 wrote:
at those kays i would be replacing heater tap, water hoses (as many as you can afford, fully flushing coolant system, new thermostat, plugs, leads, filters (fuel and air)....umm, i would probably go with the gasket that is meant for that motor, you could get an after market one if your willin to spend a bit.

James

Ive done everything in your list already except the heater tap.. Whats that do? and how much is a new one?

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUII

SA, Australia

I had the main oil seal and welsh plugs replaced in my AUII a few months ago. There were 6 welsh plugs which were replaced with brass ones at a cost of $3each. One of my originals rusted out.

AUII Forte 4.0L

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Mr AUII wrote:
I had the main oil seal and welsh plugs replaced in my AUII a few months ago. There were 6 welsh plugs which were replaced with brass ones at a cost of $3each. One of my originals rusted out.

They must have cut down on the number of welsh plugs on the AU.
I replaced mine on my EL last year. IIRC there was 11 water ones. There are also about 8 oil but these rarly fail.

What I did was, I went down to Bursons and ask for a full set of welsh plugs for my car, they looked up their book and worked out for me how many I needed and what size.

Always replace all of the water ones and always replace them with brass ones, then you know they wont rust out again.

Quote:
Ive done everything in your list already except the heater tap.. Whats that do? and how much is a new one?

The heater tap is a small vacuum controled valve in a heater hose just infront of the starter motor, when open it lets hot coolant into the heater core to control cabin temperature.

Has the head gasket ever been replaced in the car? if so how long ago? If it has been replaced and not too long ago why change it.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

madmax wrote:
Mr AUII wrote:

They must have cut down on the number of welsh plugs on the AU.
I replaced mine on my EL last year. IIRC there was 11 water ones. There are also about 8 oil but these rarly fail.

What I did was, I went down to Bursons and ask for a full set of welsh plugs for my car, they looked up their book and worked out for me how many I needed and what size.

Always replace all of the water ones and always replace them with brass ones, then you know they wont rust out again.

It's been replaced around 2 to 3 years ago.

Quote:

The heater tap is a small vacuum controled valve in a heater hose just infront of the starter motor, when open it lets hot coolant into the heater core to control cabin temperature.

Has the head gasket ever been replaced in the car? if so how long ago? If it has been replaced and not too long ago why change it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]