Fordmods Logo

making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help
Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 167

Joined: 21st Feb 2012

Ride: 2004 Ba Xr6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Making a pod setup behind headlight like these 400-600 $ kits cuz I dont want to pay an arm and a leg..what type of plastics do I need to buy and wheres the best place to get my hands on some..bunnings ect; thx
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help
Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

just a suggestion, but I reckon if it was me I'd be thinking about sheet aluminium... the way I'd approach it would be to start with a sheet of cardboard , scissors and tape and basically make it out of cardboard so you know its going to fit, seal, clear everything etc. Once you are happy with it carefully remove it, lay it out flat, mark it up in ally , cut it out, bend to shape. You could then either spray it black or if you want polish the crap out of it ....if you get the kind of ally sheet that has a plastic film to protect it, leave it on while cutting, drilling, bending etc and peel it off right at the very end and you don't even need to really polish it....

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help
Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

oh, and you can get sheet ally for around 20 bux at Bunnings , or cheaper if you hit scrap dealers or metal places..

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help
Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:06 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 65

Posts: 971

Joined: 11th Jan 2005

Ride: BA MK11

Location: West Melbourne
VIC, Australia

AussieXR6Grunt as a matter of interest, I fitted the big mouth snorkel and air box from -I believe the GT. I purchased it from FTG and I think I paid about $250.The box has the intake from behind the headlight also. A benefit is that it still looks original, so if the law decides to inspect, then nothing has changed.

 

_________________

The older I get the better I was!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help
Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:34 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 167

Joined: 21st Feb 2012

Ride: 2004 Ba Xr6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
just a suggestion, but I reckon if it was me I'd be thinking about sheet aluminium... the way I'd approach it would be to start with a sheet of cardboard , scissors and tape and basically make it out of cardboard so you know its going to fit, seal, clear everything etc. Once you are happy with it carefully remove it, lay it out flat, mark it up in ally , cut it out, bend to shape. You could then either spray it black or if you want polish the crap out of it ....if you get the kind of ally sheet that has a plastic film to protect it, leave it on while cutting, drilling, bending etc and peel it off right at the very end and you don't even need to really polish it....

Wouldnt aluminium attract heat due to absorbing engine bay heat causing the pod to start sucking hot air due to humidity build up in the box even tho itll be exposed behind the heatlight like a mace setup..
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help
Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 496

Joined: 14th Sep 2011

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Hi,

Aluminium is used for radiators and intercoolers. Some moisture will help the engine, remember water injection ? It wont get any more than the normal intake if they both have the same intake point. Plastic is cheap to make, many of the better parts are made from Alloy.

 

_________________

Regards 96ELGli

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help
Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 167

Joined: 21st Feb 2012

Ride: 2004 Ba Xr6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

Aluminium is used for radiators and intercoolers. Some moisture will help the engine, remember water injection ? It wont get any more than the normal intake if they both have the same intake point. Plastic is cheap to make, many of the better parts are made from Alloy.

Mm noqhere had to materiala ended up juwt putting a 45 silicone hose from the airbox hose into the airbox and attqchee the kn podfilter inside..has more down low then my flat panel filter which is what I was after
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help
Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 4599

Joined: 30th Aug 2010

Ride: BF XR6,

Location: NEWCASTLE
NSW, Australia

i bought a xr8 snorkel and the f6 headlight intake snorkel and just cut my airbox out to fit the headlight intake, didnt even cost me $200 and it all still looks factory unless you look inside the box

 

_________________

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help
Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 167

Joined: 21st Feb 2012

Ride: 2004 Ba Xr6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
i bought a xr8 snorkel and the f6 headlight intake snorkel and just cut my airbox out to fit the headlight intake, didnt even cost me $200 and it all still looks factory unless you look inside the box

What is bigger xr8 or turbo snorkel
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help
Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 4599

Joined: 30th Aug 2010

Ride: BF XR6,

Location: NEWCASTLE
NSW, Australia

The xr8 and turbo snorkel are same I think. The f6 extra snorkel is probably the best being that your fitting an extra hole into the box

 

_________________

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: making custom airbox for pod behind headlight help
Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 167

Joined: 21st Feb 2012

Ride: 2004 Ba Xr6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
The xr8 and turbo snorkel are same I think. The f6 extra snorkel is probably the best being that your fitting an extra hole into the box

Yeah ive got same setup as u with a territory intake pipe then a k&n pod inside
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:20 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names