Fordmods Logo

Measurements, comparison and discussion? EF, BA and LPG rods 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Measurements, comparison and discussion? EF, BA and LPG rods
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:48 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Can somebody please fill in the gaps on the following measurements of Au/BA rods?

length: AU 6.05" / EF rod length 5.88"
Pin diameter: 0.866
big end journal: ?????
big end width: ?????
rod bolt size: ?????

What i am trying to ascertain is the best combo of rods and pistons.
I would like it if somebody who has access to a standard AU rod, an XR6turbo rod and an "LPG" rod to undertake a side by side comparison and note any or all differences below.

I have seen the photo(s) of the EF rod side by side to the XR6t rod in PYROAY's post http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5764

and from my own knowledge of what an EF rod looks like, i fail to notice any significant difference between the XR6t rod and the standard EF rod (other than length). It does appear that there is a slight difference in the relief areas around the big end. Can anyone confirm if the XR6t rod has had any special treatment from factory? What sets it apart from a stock rod?

There has been discussion of the E-Gas "LPG" rods being "tougher" than a stock rod. So far i am unable to dig up ANY information regarding these rods other than the ford list price of $44 ea.

With the measurements completed it may be possible to start looking at modified chevvy H-beams :idea:

I will also post this in other forums seeking an answer. But for now can we just focus on the core questions: Measurements and factual comparisons

Cheers, Aaron

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Rumour has it that the Typhoons stronger rods are those of the lpg motor.

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:44 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

eb2fairmont wrote:
Rumour has it...

yeah exactly rumours. We need FACTS

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:02 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Answer from Simon G @ Nizpro

Hi Aaron As far as I'm aware the big end of all the ford 6 cylinder rods are the same all the way back to the 221 cubic inch engine.In the BA 6 cylinder rod range there are 2 different types with 2 different variations. The std N/A and the Turbo are the same part although the turbo runs a fully floating pin where the N/A is a press fit. The same goes for the F6 and LPG engine's, same part but the F6 is a floater and the LPG is not.

The LPG/F6 are stronger although not enough to use them in a serious engine.

As far as modifying a Chev rod, is that you then need to make a piston to suit the new rod length and pin diameter, plus V8 rods are off set this also is a bit problematic. There are now several straight direct replacements on the market at good prices that would match the Chev alternative in price once the modifications were completed.
(03) - 9761 1522

Post subject: Re: Measurements, comparison and discussion? EF, BA and LPG rods
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: au II fairmont

VIC, Australia

Now my question is can log rods be used with a forged floating f6 piston?
as I have lpg rods u use in my au but want forged turbo dished pistons?

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

aaron_hogan wrote:
With the measurements completed it may be possible to start looking at modified chevvy H-beams :idea:

Why the hell would you bother. If you are looking for Strong rods at a decent price you can get Manley H-beams for $600 out of summit racing and they are a direct fit.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: au II fairmont

VIC, Australia

Cause I have a set of f6 rods brand New I got for nuthin

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon Xh

NSW, Australia

The elephant in the room is. How MUCH horsepower ??????????? I mean fantasy is one thing numbers, at the rear wheels, well they are kinda another.. How do you propose to make this horsepower ??? with triple DCOE weber carbs. obviously not. So ur gonna use forced induction I suppose. R U trying to wash away compression. Does it have to be reliable, Or reliable for 10 seconds. At this point in time until you answer all of these questions I dont see the point to any of it. If ya got a set of F6 Rods, r they new. If not whats it cost to have them x rayed and dye tested. There's just too many variables to make an informed judgement. Whats it cost to have the F6 Ones hardened. How many ponies ???? How long exactly is a piece of string. Something to think about first. Kind Regards Darren

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

au firmnt wrote:
Cause I have a set of f6 rods brand New I got for nuthin

So you have F6 rods and want to use an F6 piston, what's the problem then?

This whole thread seems to be something that should have been talked about years ago.

All the questions have been answered and stock rods in a performance build is a stupid solution given the low cost of decent rods available for the engine.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]